Thread: New to 4AGEs and asking a few questions.

Forum Member

Default New to 4AGEs and asking a few questions.

As in the welcome thread I'm going to buy a 4AGE Corolla as soon as I can and want to ask a few questions as I haven't had any hands on experience with this motor, only the several BMW motors strewn across my garage.

1) Any information on servicing would be great. Km intervals assuming enthusiastic driving and occasional track days, is there a type of oil that is strongly recommended, signs to show previous services have been neglected? Those sorts of things.

2) Common issues to look for. Specific oil leaks, specific coolant leaks, noises that indicate I should walk away immediately?

3) Any other info I need to know? Funny stories you have? Your favourite beer?

I'm experienced at pulling things apart and putting them back together, so I'm mainly asking about 4AGE specific information.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: New to 4AGEs and asking a few questions.

The 4AGE engine is a pretty die hard motor. About the only thing you need to look for is the timing belt. Ask about the last time the belt was replace including it's tension idler wheel pulley. You will probably have to adjust 3 or 4 valve shims on an older motor, and if it's a vey high mileage motor, check for a blown head gasket. Typically the No. 3/4 cylinder by checking under the oil filler cap for white milky oil. If a maintenance log book is included with the car, it's worth a few bonus points. Knowing that the owner pulled regular service. Davew7

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

You'll almost certainly have an oil leak from the distributor, the seals on the shaft are pretty easy to change though.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

With any new (old) car, I like to change all the fluids ASAP. I'll usually run a Nulon oil flush through it while I'm at it. I'll then change the oil again at the next 5000km interval (so if you change it at 123,000 do the next one at 125,000) and then every 5,000 after that. You can never change your oil too often, and it's about the cheapest maintenance you can do. For a stock motor and changed regularly, there is no need for expensive synthetic or semi-synthetic oil. Always change the filter at the same time as the oil.

As stated, the dizzy will almost certainly leak. As an added bonus, it will drip on to the exhaust manifold and stink as it cooks off. On the up side, kbox makes a seal kit for about 30 bucks and will fix that right up. While you're at it, take the time to properly set your ignition timing.

For the first tank or two of fuel, run either 98 octane, or throw some injector cleaner in there to de-sludge it a bit.

The 4AG can also have problems with its idle up circuit, as it uses a hot wax system in the throttle body which works well when new but it's rare to find one that functions correctly these days. This can result in a very high idle, if stuck on, or a hunting idle. Google will give you some options here if you're having this problem, but the easiest solution is to block the port in the throttle body and put up with poor running when cold for the first couple of minutes.

If fitted, an EGR system can have your inlet pretty coked up. you might want to remove the inlet manifold and give it a good clean out. Whether or not the EGR goes back on afterwards is up to you... If your engine is a big port, give the TVIS a good clean and check that it works (there is a YouTube video that demonstrates how quite nicely). If it's a standard engine, you will harm performance and bottom end response by removing TVIS; for a 1.6L engine, the ports on a big port are absolutely massive and airflow will be way too low at low engine speeds.

Other things to keep an eye out on are that engine mounts on older FWD Toyotas tend to crack up and turn to crap and the thermo fan switches can be a bit unreliable - they tend to fail safe, which results in the fans running all the time, but this can be a bit of a bummer, as sitting in the car with the engine not running and listening to the stereo for an hour or so can result in a flat battery. You can test if

Cheers,
    Terry
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Forum Member

Cheers for the info. Had the new car two weeks and none of the serious issues seem to have shown their heads. Dizzy seal and valve cover gaskets needed doing straight away, but all other components are spot on. Checked the oil and it is brand new so I'll have a look at what colour it is in a few more weeks then change it again. I always run 98 (or 95 when I'm broke) so that isn't an issue. Last three tanks have been 6.8, 7.1, and 6.9 litres per 100kms so I'd say she's doing alright.