Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To ... Tacho Booster

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: How To ... Tacho Booster

Your ECU will output 5V square wave. Your tacho wants a voltage spike. So you need a booster, like teh Witzlified one described above.

I'm afraid I too am too uneducated to comment about jumping that resistor.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Bottled up Domestic Engineer charliechalk's Avatar

Ok, so i built as instructed (I think) but it doesn't seem to be quite right.

It works to some extent, only, it doubles the signal somehow? The tacho reads twice what the engine is doing until it passes 7000 on the dial and drops back to where it actually is. The relay also clicks constantly. So erm, should i get my multimeter out and check the input and output? Or has someone else managed to get the same result and knows what to do? :S

Car in question is an st162, motor is redtop beams with only one serious issue left to resolve (might involve broken ecu, but not sure)

Edit: built as per witzl's external.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i have no idea, without looking at it directly to see if you wired something wrong?
    Just build another booster to see if you did something wrong with the 1st one - they are cheap enough to make twice!
    Just DOUBLE CHECK the relay terminals you are using are terminals "85" and "86"

and Ed - yes you will need a tacho booster. Just build as per the guide and all will be hunky dory.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral coFF33 View Post
    The wire your looking for running to the dash if you have an MA61/MZ11/MZ10 etc.
    Is located in the DRIVERS SIDE kick panel.
    Its a black wire with no dots/lines. Very skinny and plugged into the drivers kick panel fuse box next to a WHITE with BLACK STRIPE wire.
    IF you connect the "out -> to tacho" wire from your booster , to this black wire. your digital dash will work.
    I fitted this tacho booster to my digital dash MA61 with no results. The tacho still reads 0 rpm.

I tried using the black wire as highlighted in the diagrams below. I have fitted male and female blade terminals at the join of the only thin black wire I could find in the area. It was adjacent to two white with black stripe wires. Does anyone know if this is the right wire?

Secondly, I'd like to backtrack the wire from the actual insturment cluster input. Does anyone know where the tacho wire attaches to the instrument cluster (pic below)? All the documents I've found are for the US version which is basically back the front, yet the wiring inputs are quite different.

Wiring out of fuse box. The green circle shows what I presume to be the tacho input wire. The yellow circle shows where the wires bundle and go to the instrument cluster.

Zoomed

Back of Australian model digital instrument cluster.
    '85 1JZ-GTE Celica Supra MA61
    '84 Celica Supra MA61 (Parting out!)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Would anyone be willing to make me one of these boosters? If so could you let me know a price.

Cheers,
    Blair.
    Project:RA65 with an engineered 1ggte conversion.
    Daily:MA61 - 5me stock auto shitheap.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Just made one of these last night, what wire do I connect it to on the ecu? Gen 2 1ggte.

Also where does it go to the cluster? Ra65.
    Project:RA65 with an engineered 1ggte conversion.
    Daily:MA61 - 5me stock auto shitheap.

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Deckstar : hope you sorted this by now , i aint checked this thread since i posted what you quoted.

That is the right wire. although i cant tell you what connecter it goes into on your dash, mine is an ancient MZ11 81' dash, although i CAN tell you it was in the SAME connector as the Yellow with Green stripe = water temp. You need to cut the wire though, as in the side running to the fusebox leave disconnected, and connect your OUTPUT of the booster -> that wire directly.

Although Aus MA61 might be different and you may find your wire over in the glovebox . Its Definatly a solid black wire though thats for sure.
    good luck man !

u dont connect it to the ECU Blair, you connect it to the black wire coming off your coil in your engine bay. as the "LEAD IN" to the whole setup.

Now a question for the pros.

This was originally designed for a 7MGTE right ???

My 1GGTE /. MZ11s tacho works with this booster, and has done since nov last year.

only issue is , that it reads ~1000rpm - 800rpm HIGHER than what the engine is actually revving at.

although when boosting , if i go past 5000rpm on the dash, it kinda like, kicks back a bit and shows me im only reving at 4000, but only for a split second, then its back to the usual 800 - 1000 rpm higher.

Weird ...

maybe a diff resistor/transistor will fix my issue ??? but which!

infotech plus / wilbo help!
    Last edited by Admiral coFF33; 08-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliechalk View Post
    Ok, so i built as instructed (I think) but it doesn't seem to be quite right.

It works to some extent, only, it doubles the signal somehow? The tacho reads twice what the engine is doing until it passes 7000 on the dial and drops back to where it actually is. The relay also clicks constantly. So erm, should i get my multimeter out and check the input and output? Or has someone else managed to get the same result and knows what to do? :S

Car in question is an st162, motor is redtop beams with only one serious issue left to resolve (might involve broken ecu, but not sure)

Edit: built as per witzl's external.

Re-read the thread,
    im pretty much havin the same issue as you man, but a little less extreme.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Thanks to the guides here, I got mine working on my GA61 celica supra Now running 1ggte Looking accurate too

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

I just connected up a horn relay without modifying it on my last setup.. cant remember the pin config but it was just input signal on one and the output signal on another pin on a 4 pole horn relay from jaycar, just uses the windings inside the relay to amplify the signal.. nothing else attached.

is there an absolute need to do all this shitfucking around making up these more complex circuits ect??

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Hengsta's Avatar

Anyone got pictures of this setup?

I knew i should of saved them before

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Just an FYI for those who want to build themselves a tach booster and dont know where to get the parts.

Visit your local Jaycar Electronics store and purchase the following:

• ZT2115 - BC337 transistor - $0.42
    • ZR1007 - 1N4007 diodes, pack of 4 - $0.60
    • RR0582 - 2k7 resistors, pack 8, $0.46
    • SY4068 - SPST 4-pin relay, $7.95
    • PT4525 - red female spade crimp terminals, pk 8, $2.75
    • WH5532 - 3.0mm black heatshrink, $1.85
    • WH5533 - 5.0mm black heatshrink, $1.95
    • WH5554 - 6.0mm clear heatshrink, $2.25

Now im too lazy to bother opening up a relay and doing some finicky soldering to the guts of it..... so i did an external version.

METHOD:

1. Start by soldering the 2k7 resistor and 1N4007 diode together. Pay attention to the diode - the grey band should point towards the resistor
    2. Now solder the other end of the resistor to the base (B) leg of the BC337 transistor. Note the pinouts of the BC337 below
    3. Solder wires to the other two legs of the transistor. "E" of the transistor goes to earth, "C" of the transistor goes to the tacho output and also the relay coil.

4. Attach spade terminals as follows, and connect to your relay.

-Sleeper 2J + R154 X83
    -GQ 93 Mav, 4.2 Diesel, 35" BFG KM2's, 4" lift, 3" Exhaust, Front Locked, Rear shimmed, Sliders, IPF foggies, UHF, 2871R and Intercooled.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Hengsta's Avatar

Anyone?

Want to make one and put it in today
    -Sleeper 2J + R154 X83
    -GQ 93 Mav, 4.2 Diesel, 35" BFG KM2's, 4" lift, 3" Exhaust, Front Locked, Rear shimmed, Sliders, IPF foggies, UHF, 2871R and Intercooled.

JDM cressida luv 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Casey-G View Post
    I just connected up a horn relay without modifying it on my last setup.. cant remember the pin config but it was just input signal on one and the output signal on another pin on a 4 pole horn relay from jaycar, just uses the windings inside the relay to amplify the signal.. nothing else attached.

is there an absolute need to do all this shitfucking around making up these more complex circuits ect??
    Curious if this is true? Dont really want to make a complex relay (complex due to my lack of knowledge) if I can just use a horn relay, I'd rather simplify things if it works?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by JayZeeX83 View Post
    Curious if this is true? Dont really want to make a complex relay (complex due to my lack of knowledge) if I can just use a horn relay, I'd rather simplify things if it works?
    if you think it will work you will require a 12v+ a ground and the signal wires

JDM cressida luv 1st year Apprentice

Ok will give it a go. I get my cress back in a week so will have a crack at it n post results back here. If it doesn't work it's all good, will just have to strain the brain a little more