Page 2 of 392 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I have been working on building a pretty nuts N/A 18rg. Whilst in the process of this i got hold of a close to dead 88270 head. Chopped it in half to see how much hogging i can do!

More pics are available if u PM me ur email adress and ask nicely

River, if ud like to know how the 2.4l 18rg goes i will soon be able to give u an answer close to the money. It wont be a 2.4l but a 2.2l. Hopefully it will have a megasquirt or something similar and all custom made (by me) isolated intake runners. Yay trumpets!!!
    And all the other standard performance crap, oh and a few little tricks here and there.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

That is well cool!

This is a comparison of a nicely ported 88230 head and a nicely trashed 88250 head.... notice how the ported head has the valve bowls shaped and opened up to angle down into the combustiono chamber rather sharply..... very nice =)

...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have a similar project to jeffroīs. Itīs an RA63 with a 18R-G which has individual throttle bodies and a Wolf 3D V4 plus. It is being prepared slowly and didnīt started yet, but it will by February (summer holidays in here...).

That would be the first step. After that, engine will be fully rebuilt and CR modified to permit turbocharging.

You can see pictures in my home page.

Please, Jeffro, can you send me more pics of that cut cylinder head?

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Pilot, can do.

Perhaps people that have got their 18rg's flow tested can post what they flowed. it would be nice to have a benchmark to what is acheivable from them.

There is 2 flow benches at work so ill be able post mine up once their done.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

The stage of my project at which Iīm now is very basic: just make it run with EFI and ind. throttles. Afterwards I plan to make improvements in the engine.

User Conversion King

thought i might add this link i found a while back.

not sure where it came from or if any1 already found it but anyway;

http://users.on.net/~csharman/docs/18rgeu.pdf
    hello

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

The upper timing tensioner of the 18RG looks to me to be the same as that of a 3TGTE. I have an 88230, with the shorter version of the 88210 runners, and the carbs which are shown in the left. The pipes that go off to the balancer are indeed 5/8", and as for the ancillaries that the outlets go to... well ive never had them connected to anything, they were blocked off when i got the carbs... so does anyone know what they were actually meant for?? charcoal canister perhaps??
    The 2.4l conversion is said to be a poor one to undertake, as the bore/stroke becomes out of square, and the motor loses its revvablity(much like a 22RE). I would be more inclined to go with just the 2.2l conversion, as this will still revv quite well.
    The shorter runner doesnt give much in the way of more top end power, what it gives is much better throttle response, which makes the top end more controllable.
    Jeffro, how did the head I sent down to you turn out?? It all seemed quite good (apart from being dirty).

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I'll get some pics up of river's 100% stock 88230 engine and another 100% stock 88253 engine which show where all the ports on the balance chamber are connected to....

I've also got two 18RG's in parts to get some comparisons of individual parts and componenets.... will start to photo catalogue it all tonight
    ...... butt scratcher?!

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

if u need any pics of stuff for cataloguing karl, let me know
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

carl that inlet with solexes that i sold you came off a corona with a 9rg 1900 cc

AE86 Tuning Life Backyard Mechanic Garth AE86's Avatar

there was an ae86 around with one of these in it recently i think

anyone own it?
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict
    AE86 - Levin & Trueno - The Legends Live On!
    'AE86' - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GTV

"It's not a street car if you can't drive it on the street. The car has to be safe and fast on any road condition" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Mr DOHC -
    if u need any pics of stuff for cataloguing karl, let me know
    Same here, if you want pics and can wait for prints for me to scan in, no digital camera yet I am a bit of an 18RG hoarder, I don't get rid of much and if I find something, I just have to have it.
    We cleaned out the storage facility the other day, filled $200 worth of various sized boxes,
    The big bits didn't fit in the boxes though.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sheebz Automotive Grease Monkey Gleno28's Avatar

Hey Witzl, a while back on the other forum i put up some pics of the 88210, 250, 253 and 270 heads together that i had. Got detailed pics of the 210 and 250. I can email them to you if you want some extra pics for the thread.
    Cheers
    Glen.

Please do!
    Email: thewitzl AT optusnet DOT com DOT au

Once i get back from holidays, and have some time to sort through my engines in pieces (i have to finish building one too!) I'll get cracking and get some pics and reference data up into this thread =)
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I just thought of another spec to put in here.

The camshafts are to be lined up with both camshaft timing slots (on flange next to front cam cap) are to be lined up at the 12:00 vertical position when the engine is at TDC for cylinder 1.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")