Thread: 1JZ-GTE valve stem seals

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1JZ-GTE valve stem seals

Guys,
    Thinkin with the engine out of the car would probably be a good time to replace the valve stem seals ( seeing as the motor has only been run a few times in the past 12 months)
    What i would like to know is
    what price ranges should i be able to get the seals for?

Has anyone had any luck changing 1JZ valave stem seals without removing the head?

If using compressed air to hold the valve shut how do you know there is enough pressure in the cyclinder so you dont drop the valve into the cylinder?

Can you do any damage with this method?

Has anyone done a how to on this job?

Cheers
    Rogue-VL

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ-GTE valve stem seals

Haven't done it personally but here's a "How-to" for a 2JZ-GTE which is same procedure as a 1JZ-GTE.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/valve_stem/index.html

90913-02089 / 90913-02090 for exhaust / intake valve stem seals ; quoted @ $6.90 each from Penrith Toyota.
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Get a rotor Grease Monkey ATMO_BT1's Avatar

rouge-vl i am unable to picture how it would be possible to replace a valve stem seal without removing the head?

Generally you will find the stem seals themselves to be very cheap, the catch is though that if you pay a mechanic for the work it will be very costly as it is a head-off job. My valve stem seals are getting a little bit iffy (not to bad with a good thick oil change now) in my RB30ET and i am waiting for a while as i want to send the head off for porting when i get the valve stem seals done... might as well make something good come of this blasted problem right?

Jack

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

The traditional way to remove valve stem seals is to lock the crank in position (i.e. by putting it in gear) and then taking off the camshafts and pressurising the cylinder. This will hold the valves up and closed and allow you to remove the spring and retainer and then eventually the seal.

The caveat with this is that im not sure how effective it is, everyone has always been talking about it, but that seems to be all there is.... talk.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I've done this a few times with no problems, but not on any Toyota engines. Provided you can get the retainers, springs, etc. off the valves, I can't see if proving too much of an issue.

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

Richardsons engine service rebuilt the head on my 1JZ a couple of months back and I was discussing with them the possiblity of doing the valve stem seals while the motor was in the car and the head was attached to the block, they pondered on this and said although it is possible it would be extremely difficult and time consuming and most likely quicker to get the head off

also dont use the 1JZ valve stem seals, 4AFC ones are a direct fit and come in at around $85 for a full set of 24, which is much nicer than forking out $165 for 1JZ ones

hope this helps
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Domestic Engineer urantia's Avatar

I had a big winge about doing this awhile ago on old toymods, i succesfully changes all the valve stem seals on a 3sge head without taking the head off, took me 2 weeks, but i only worked a few hours each day after work. 3sge head is on an angle with the intake plenum hanging over the intake cam side, very hard!! made a special tool to compress the springs, with compressed air holding the valves up.

Would be easier on a 1jz as it's much more accessible.

Problems are sometimes the valves get rotated and lose there ability to create an air tight seal, and don't build up pressure to hold them up, have to squirt oil in rotate the valve until you get a good seal to hold them up, also the valve collets are little bastards that shoot off like bullets and are lost forever. i lost 2 down into the engine! found them not long ago when i took the sump off and lost about 5-10 others that just shot out of my oil hands, multiple trips to toyota to get more -

Hmm if your carefull and take the time it's fiddley but doable. otherwise i'd just take the head off and do it that way, but by taking the head off your looking at a new headgasket and probably other consumables, such as exuast intake and manifold gaskets if you take them off.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Use rope down the spark plug hole to fill the chamber to prevent dropping the valves.

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

i dont think many people realise, half cuts sit out in the wether and often havent been run for over 12 months before they reach australian shores. i havent seen many 1j's with valve stem seal problems, i would ask why go through the expense, if your arent 100% sure they need doing

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thanks for everyones replies, but I 'll think I'll take 1JZ.747's advice, wait and find out if they need replacing, rather that replacing on the chance the current one are stuffed.

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

They all tend to smoke like a bitch when they are first started anyway as shane mentioned.

Give it some time and the smoke seems to go away once the rubber has softened after sitting around for so long doing nothing.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Ribfeast's Avatar

This might come in handy...

http://www.toyotool.com/

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Nice work Ribfeast. +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

Hey guys
    Thought I'd dig this back up..

I purchased the 'Toyotool' last week, and decided to have a crack at my seals yesterday. The tool makes the whole job a breeze. Once the cams & buckets were out, each cylinder only took around 5 minutes to do. Using valve stem seal pliers is a must IMHO.

I used compressed air to hold the valves closed

Cost was around $100US including postage, and arrived in just a few days.

+ Rep to Ribfeast for a great link!

Cheers
    -Phil
    Last edited by Pure_In_Sanity; 06-08-2007 at 06:15 AM. Reason: ghey spelling

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

Looks like I'm going to get me one of these too..

Which one do we need for the 1JZ? the 6mm or 8mm one?
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.