Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74 TA22 steering

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

Default 74 TA22 steering

Hey,
    i got my Ta22 home and started on getting a RWC at the moment the only 3 things left are:
    - hole in exaust (replacing with a 2 inch is this a good size? or to big/small for a 2T)
    - windscreen and tires
    - steering play
    the only one we have problems with the steering play there is a whole 30-40 degrees of play in the middle about 15-20 degrees in either direction i got under the car and within the "dead" zone there is no output from the steering box (or what you call it) and there is about 2mm play in the steering arms
    whats the most common cause for this much slop should we go get a steering box and see if that fixes it or are they unlikly to be the part to fail
    I will have pics up very soon its hard to get pics without lense flare casue its soo shiney

also what work should i be looking at to give it some balls? should i be looking at a 2T-G a 3T (g?) or 4AGE? or just working/rebuilding the 2T

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Default Re: 74 TA22 steering

The worm gears in the steering boxes are commonly worn out on the 1st gens.

It is very expensive to have the worm gears made up so ur best bet is to find a second hand one. As you have demonstrated it seems you know how to give them a basic lookover to check for wear.

As you have described, yes the steering box is one of the causes of your problem.

It would take alot to get the 2t to have some balls. Finding a 2tg would be your next best and cheapest option.

cheers that was the suspicion as we couldnt see any play in the arms (sorry i dont use the exact terminology)
    by 1st gen do you mean the pre 73 or do you mean TA22 vs TA23/RA23

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

1st gen usually implies TA22 through RA28.
    My old 2T went ok, considering. It was rebuilt with a 278 degree cam, equal length extractors, 2" exhaust & a 32/36 Weber. All cheap easy mods, it was no dragster but it was good fun... Do the same mods to a 2TG though and you'll have a much nicer motor, probably worth the extra ~$500 you'll pay for the motor. If you have the budget though, a well built 2TG/3T Hybrid will be considerably more powerful than a 4AGE (as will a worked 1588cc 2TG) plus it'll sound heaps better and be much less of a hastle to install.

Jim.

TwentyTwo i was told that 4AGE is the best way to go if i have the money and time due to parts on a 2TG are pretty hard to find
    the 3T hybrid would be abit of work to build up and get together?
    i really like the bolt in advantage of the 2TG which saves abit of time and as you said new cams, extractors, exaust and carbys will really finish the car

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Steering: A lot of steering problems with play can arise from peope overtightening steering boxes when they adjust them, instead of backing the screw off 1/8th turn. They should always have some play in them, but you can usually feel when it is getting excessive. It may be too far gone inside. You can also check your pitman and idler arms by jacking the front up and checking for play by moving the wheel gently side to side.

Exhaust: I have a 2-1/4 on my TA22 (from memory, It may be 2) with a 3T and it runs well and sounds great, but it does have a weber on board. I think 2 would be well suited.

Engine: Engine choice will all depend on how much you are willing to spend. I have just built a 2t-g/3t hybrid which is going in soon, but all the parts were given to me by my dad so I didnt have to spend much. Twin cam is better than single. It also depends on how much time you can have the car off the road... the benefits of staying with a T series engine is it will bolt in without having to modify anything. Good Luck!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Theres is an adjustment nut/slotted stud for the worm drive on the XA2/4X celicas and corollas and coronas of same era. Undo the nut(14mm socket or spanner) and tighten the stud with a 6mm flat screwdriver while holding the nut still with a 14mm spanner. Once tight, back off(as sed previously) about 1/8 of a turn. This will bring the steering play to within the RWC spec, unless you have tie rod end/ball joint/pitman arm/idler arm problems, but these would be pointed out in a RWC report from any half ok/decent mechanic. Sooo... do the adjustment(adjuster nut etc located at the top of the steering box, looks like the adjuster nut on a rocker arm), and then check for excessive play(doesnt cost anything to pull out a spanner and screwdriver and adjust).

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

be careful with exhaust on the TA22's, anything more than standard gives them a throaty rumble, which, while it sounds awesome, isnt exactly legal, especially with 2tg!

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer weapon x's Avatar

im in a similar situation to merc-blue... got a 2t and want to get some quick cheap easy to install power... and a 2tg sounds the easiest way to go...

but the question is who has got one for sale?

been looking in the classifieds for a while and only now is there one on there.. however that's all the way in WA... shipping will blow the cheap part of the engine out of the water...

so if anyone has one... myself and i'm sure merc-blue will be looking for one.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Merc Blue,

As Oman RA23 has decribed adjusting your current steering box should get you out of trouble. You should also make sure your box has plenty of oil in it and I'd suggest changing it as most people don't give the steering box oil a second thought (Or know it takes it )

A 2" sports system will be plenty big enough for a N/A 1.6l

The 2TG V's 4AGE arguement has probably been waged since before Toyota finished building the 4AGE. There are good reasons for choosing both engines. The best advice I can give is to try and drive both engines before you decide, they behave quite differently.

The 4AGE is allot easier to get parts for, is a lighter more modern engine and of course is EFI. It Wont bolt in and you will need custom engine mounts, eletrical system wired in to suit it, radiator mods and a revised fuel system. You will also need to locate a complete RWD 4AGE or the parts to convert a FWD version and modify the plenum and coolant system. None of which is as hard as it sounds but will take time and money.

The 2TG comes in both carby and EFI versions, Both are old engines and finding one in good condition will be difficult, they are a bolt in swap and if you get a carby version you won't even need to mod your fuel system. Getting power out of either engine is not an issue with similar results possible.

An table of how they compare in stock form is attached below.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Techn...n%20Chart1.xls

EldarO,

A 2" or even 2.5" system can easily be legal if you use the right parts. You just need use the right muffers and resonators. Any good exhaust shop will be able to help you.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

cheers guys gonna tighten it up tomorrow will probly make the toyota guys change the oil (my uncle runs one of there service centers)
    im working 9 hour days 6 days a week so dont have to much time to mess around with it hence taking it toa service center to get it checked over and oil change and that sorta stuff

and i was pretty sure a 2" could be legal its getting professioaly done (once again dont have time) so will come you legal

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Theres is an adjustment nut/slotted stud for the worm drive on the XA2/4X celicas and corollas and coronas of same era. Undo the nut(14mm socket or spanner) and tighten the stud with a 6mm flat screwdriver while holding the nut still with a 14mm spanner. Once tight, back off(as sed previously) about 1/8 of a turn.
    exactamondo.. but i'm not sure how "til tight, then back 1/8th" will go. i followed this rule of thumb when tightening mine up, but when i drove off the steering was so tight the wheel wouldn't even self-center!!

but of course youll know how much is too much when you tighten her up

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

what oil should we use for the steering box? since its got gears would gear oil be right? or is there another type to use since the steering box wont see as much heat as the gearbox/diff?

cheers

just tightened it up and it took about 60% of teh play out but from the different angle the join from the steeringbox to the steering relay arm appears to have abit of slop hopefully we can just replace the steering relay arm and it will be fine and dont have to do the whole steering assembly

there is no bushings in these joins that just need replacing?
    it should pas a RWC as it its it has about as much slack as my brothers SV1 camry

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I suggest usin the thickest gearbox/diff oil you can come across, as this will help stop it leaking out the bottom seal. Also, changing both seals is a good idea, i did this with my RA23, and it hasnt leaked since.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.