Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21r-c to 22r-e

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 21r-c to 22r-e

hey every one im a noob, i have recently purchased a ra60 celica with the 21r-c motor (bus motor) it has a two into one extractor system on it and i think that i want to put in a 22r-e (dont want to put in a 1g or other) i was wondering if the same exhaust will bolt on, also what would be the best vehicle to rob a 22 out of, any info would be great.

ps. does any one know the torque wrench settings for the head bolts on the 21r

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Default Re: 21r-c to 22r-e

dont do it. personal experience

from memory head bolt torque setting for 21R was around 65pounds

was the 22 dissapointing??? (even after the 21r [67 kw])

when u realise that they are both piles of truck boat anchor crap, you soon look for engines which were designed to operate above 4,000 while halfway to building a peak power figure

trust me, its not worth the dollars.

what do you want to do with the car?

well right now its a daily driver while i finnish my project car but i really like it (the only reason i wanted to put in the 22 was to occupy myself a bit and cos the 21 drinks half a bottle of oil a day) i would like to drift and circuit with my friends cars so it kinda needs some thing better than 4000 rpm

well forget anything R series... apart from the 18R-G

Would you consider a 1G? it's quite likely the best option considering availability/performance/cost/reliability/efficiency/etc.

my room mate has an aw11 mr2 and wants me too (wants competition i think) i suppose thats prolly what i will do in the long run, the only problem i have now is stopping the 21 from leaking like a commodore

can you identify where the oil is coming from? rear main/ front main, back of the head... sump plug loose??

i have spent hours and hours i found a hose that had been pulled off and replaced with no clamps but it still leaks... the oil seems like it is getting under heaps of pressure and squirted out somewhere because the bonnet is getting covered and all over the carby and manifold, i thought it was the head gasket but it seems fine, none the less it seems high up on the motor, i cleaned all the oil off and ran the motor to try to locate it but nothing came out, only on the road it comes out.i will get a mechanic friend to query it, thanks for the advice and sorry about the long post

a friend recons that a crack might be opening up when it gets hot and i give it too much

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Hey mate,

I had the same problem, oil everywhere, esp bonnet. It turns out it was the fuel pump, and the oil was leaking onto the belts, hence the messy engine. And vipers right, Ive got a 21RU manual celica, and my older bro used to have a 85 Corona with 22R-E Auto. The engines are VERY similar, averaging out in this situation due to the differnt gearing. The 22 is more responsive due to EFI but still a slow engine. No revs!
    I recently got a 85 XX with a 1G-GEU. I think this engine would suit the RA60 very well, provided you do something (even basic) to the suspension, Brakes would hold up I would imagine. Would be competitive on track, due to its low displacement, and hence running in 2Ltr class. The 1G is a great engine, very smooth and redlines at 7500! If you want to stick with R engines, The 22R be better option, but not by much
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

22R is very much like a tougher 21R, with a bit more torque... but as far as sporty goes it is very uninspiring and thoroughly not worth it, especially since you'd hav eto go through the added hassle of an EFI conversion. Stick with teh p00 21r until you can afford to put something good in there (1G, as stated, is good bang for buck... but you need to work out what your power aims are)
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Even if you don't want a 1GGTE, I'd recommend a 1GGE over a 22R ANY day. It's lighter, and makes a heck of a lot more power. Damo's totally stock 1GGE made over 80rwkw at the last OST dyno day.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Whats everyone got against the truck 22RE?? I just finished dropping one i fully rebuilt (OS pistons, etc etc) into an RA60, and after driving it just up the block and back ive decided to put one into my RA40 runabout. And if its dorifto you want, pure torque will get your wheels spinning better than rpm, just look at the cars the seppos use for dorifto. I must say that with the torque of the 22RE your more likely to be able to keep your wheels spinning for longer in drifting comps. The conversion isnt that hard neither, if your handy with a wiring loom and a welder(like me) and ill be posting up all the info youll need on wiring in the EFI.

A good car to rat a 22RE from is the RT142 corona, as not many ppl give a toss about coronas of that era, so they are easy to find for cheap with body rust and good motors. And if you want RPM, get a lumpy bump stick... ive built Fraud cleveland V8s which are happy to run at 5500rpm, and they get wheels spinnin like dorifto mad.

Oh yeah, apart from puttin in the wiring, and moving the battery etc, the 22RE is a bolt in fit, yes your 21RC extractors will fit without a problem(used 21RC extractors on the 22RE i just put in.)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

its good for trucks...