Thread: Brake lining seperating from backing?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

Default Brake lining seperating from backing?

The other night I was on a bit of a spirited drive when I had this horrible metallic scraping noise from the rear brakes. It happened everytime that I applied the brakes but I didn't seem to have lost any braking power (not that I really tried them out that much anyway!).

When I pulled the drum off it was pretty evident to what had happened, one of the linings on the shoes had completely seperated from the metal part of the shoe. There was a fair bit of brake fluid on the inside of the drum (as the piston had over extended slightly letting some out) and the drum had been scored to all fuck...

The shoes were a couple of weeks old and when installed they had been bed in properly.

Anyway my question is, what would cause this to happen?
    The obvious one is dodgy manufacture.

Can exessive heat cause the lining to seperate? (I would hope that the adhesive would be rated to something above the heat normally seen by the brakes). Since I was on the brakes a fair bit they were getting hot, nothing more than normal though.
    I know having the internal tensioner extended too far can cause the pads to rub too much hence causing too much heat however I checked the manual when I installed the shoes and it said to extend it so that there is slight contact and little rolling resistance (which is what I did).

My first thought on pulling them out was that the brake fluid leak had happened before they failed and caused it to break lose (somehow the fluid getting into the lining????) however the cylinders were new, had never leaked before and since I have put in new pads and drums they haven't leaked.

I'm going to take the shoes back to get some replacements/ refund, so does anyone have any thoughts on why they might have failed?
    I can put up some pics tomorrow.

Cheers
    Rob

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Default Re: Brake lining seperating from backing?

Hi,

I have had problems with leaking brake fluid in a drum brake and disc brake situation (not at the same time....phew) and I don't believe the fluid could affect the pads adhesion to the backing.

I did have to rough up the pads once I got them clean of brake fluid however as brake pads covered in brake fluid are not that effective.

I believe your first thoughts of dodgy manufacture is probably the most likely explanation in this case.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Normally the brake pads are attached to the backer with rivets. I havnt seen any glued on ones in ages.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

That's what I thought, but it looks like the original ones that I had in there didn't have rivets and the new ones certainly didn't.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Are we talking SHOES or PADS?
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

The only time i have seen linings rivited to the shoe is when i was a Diesel mechanic working on large trucks. Normally they are bonded onto the shoe for cars and the likes.

The only problem with taking the brake shoes back is that they might say that you have void the warrenty because you didnt get the drums skimmed, i guess you could always neglect that part of the story

Cheers
    Jason

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Shoes - the drums were scored.

This happened to me a few years back but the shoes were 30+ years old (new old stock). I suppose the bonding just failed. I have never seen any car drum shoes that had the friction compound riveted to the shoe.

Given that they were only a few weeks old, I figure you just take them back and see what happens.

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Smallest vehicle I've seen with riveted shoes was a Land Rover, everything else has been glued and never one come apart.

Take back, replace, take another set of drums as well and have them at least machine them for you if not also pay for them.
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Carless Grease Monkey

Yup replace every thing is way to go. But a bad fitment of the shoe might have caused the problem. Were they fitted properly ( spring might have got old and snapped !!) , should be the first question because bad fitment can even snap a metal.
    And if it is showing signs of brake fluid than it is a serious warning to get everything on the brake system checked as brake is the most important part of car. Once braking at 100Km/h my pads/shoes gripped the tyres and than let them go . I was all f**ked by the brake failure and tried to avoid the object ahead of me. Wasn't a fun experience believe me.

The rear brakes have had an overhaul very recently, I put in new pads and new cylinders and now have new drums.

The brake fluid was from the cylinder overextending due to the shoes being much thinner! After 5 days of use there is no fluid coming out of them at all.

All the springs were fine when I pulled it apart.

Brakes not working are farking scary! When this happened I was going into a corner at a fair speed and the pedal sunk to the floor! I had to pump the brakes to regain pressure ( as the cylinder needed to extend a bit more to make up for the lost material some more fluid was needed in the system)

But anyway thanks for the input guys, I'll return the shoes and get them to machine the drums.
    Last edited by RobertoX; 26-01-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Just an update on what happened with this.

I took the shoes in to the place that I bought them and they replaced all the shoes and machined my drums. They were very good about it with no questions asked and they were quite appologetic.

It was nice to see this sort of service when so many places try to dodge responsibility for faulty work or bad goods. So a plug goes to ABS (Adelaide Brake Service) on Currie st.

Cheers
    Rob

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Cool, ABS on Currie St is quite good with stuff, they have ordered in a lot of gear for me from time to time and even ran an account for me for a week while they were waiting for the entire purchase to come through.

So quite reccomended from me.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Were the shoes arced?
    the radius size of the drum is used to cut the new (and usually oversize) shoe material to match the drums size, for full contact.
    if the shoes were Very undersize, they would have to bend quite a
    bit trying to conform to the drum, and that might cause the seperation
    with a POORLY BONDED shoe that might have worked OK otherwise.

Interesting,

Inside radius of the shoe did appear to be slightly less than that of the metal backing of the shoe. When you fit them together as they should go there is about a 1mm gap between the centre of the shoe and the backing plate.