Thread: 5mge into 2.4L diesel 1984 hilux 4x4

Default 5mge into 2.4L diesel 1984 hilux 4x4

See the title - im considering buying a 84 diesel hilux...and wondering about putting a 5mge in - I think that I have heard of someone doing that - would it be a worthwhile conversion? The one im looking at has a recently recoed gearbox, and a newish transfer case and dif.

Ive got a 5mge that could possibly soon become spare - and im considering getting myself a hilux, so Im wondering whether it would be worth putting in? More to the point - how much trouble would it be, what would need to be changed - would it be bolt in/close to bolt in? Also what would be involved in an engineers - and how would I go about upgrading brakes and stuff, if that will be necessary?

Cheers, James
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktopspirit
    Gastro has hurt me for 4 days now! want to die! to scared to fart, to scared to eat, to scared to be more than 4 meters away from toilet!!!

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Re: 5mge into 2.4L diesel 1984 hilux 4x4

mate if its a 50 series hilux, you will really struggle to fit it - i have a yn57 and originally wanted a 7mge to put in it....to discover there isnt enough room! the font of the water pump pulley was pastr the edge of the radiator! 5me is the same more or less in length....so its a lot of work for an old motor....

For a pre 85/90 series the best conversions are either a 1UZFE toyota V8 or a Commodore V6.
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Forum Member

Hey chap. its not too hard, I did it in a 2wd, see pics

I have completed this conversion myself, apparently with the deisel chassis the engine mounts bolt up, but I can't confirm because mine started out as a petrol. The conversion was pretty straight forward, I have mine running on LPG so I didn't need any ECU wiring or injectors etc.

I swapped bellhousings, made new engine mounts (be carefull of height mine is slightly too high and I needed to cut the braces from the bonnet), slightly modified the sump to clear the steering rod (4wd may not need this), clutch is the standard 5m-ge unit, custom extractors, etc etc, the top bellhousing and starter bolts are a little tricky to get to, the crank pulley has about 20mm clearance from the radiator but you need to run an electric
    fan, I had the radiator inlet and outlet pipes modified with 90 degree bends, fitted a toyota 1kz-te thermostat housing cap (90 degree bend also), bought a couple of radiator hoses part numbers top - ch1291 bottom - ch1510 from repco and cut down to suit.

I don't have power steering so I'm not sure how hard it is to hook this up, but I can't imagine it would be too hard.

Hope this helps and if you need more advise just ask.
    88 toyota Hilux YN57, no longer blue!! Now has a 88 surf body, lengthened to suit chassis, bagged, z-notched, and laying full frame, suicide doors.

Soon to be bodydropped!! once it comes out of storage anyway.http://forums.minitruckin.co.nz/view...hp?f=12&t=2665

Forum Member

OOOPS don't think the pictures worked but the link is there. I'm a mechanic not a computer genius, Sorry.
    88 toyota Hilux YN57, no longer blue!! Now has a 88 surf body, lengthened to suit chassis, bagged, z-notched, and laying full frame, suicide doors.

Soon to be bodydropped!! once it comes out of storage anyway.http://forums.minitruckin.co.nz/view...hp?f=12&t=2665