Thread: 2jz into hilux

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2jz into hilux

hey all,
    I have acess to a complete supra with a non turbo 2j & five speed.
    im planing on removing the 3y from my 86 model cab chassis 2wd hilux
    and fitting the 2j with its five speed, has anyone done this or knows how
    much of a sqeeze it is, just in case im wasting my time.......
    i dont want a turbo due to wheel spin and only use this thing as my tow vehicle for my other cars so want it reliable to. any help appreciated ..... thanks.

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

Default Re: 2jz into hilux

well the 2jz will be reliable as in turbo and non turbo form... shouldnt be too difficult to fit into the hilux mate ive never done it but im guessing the 5 speed w58 box from the 2jz NA is going to be pritty easy to fit compared to the 6speed V160 i think it is?.. is it a YN65 hilux?.. from memory (if it is) they look small but there quite big

maybe drop the box and engine in the hole and see how close it is?

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

I will have a set of mounts for sale that suit this conversion in a couple of days.

they are currently holding up my 1jz in a YN4# hilux. Mine is auto so im not sure how much use the gearbox mount would be but it could be modded easily enough to suit.

Cheers
    Linden

Edit: ive done a VVTi 2jz-ge into an RN8# and it was a fairly good thing to drive, not overly quick but heaps better than the 22R that it replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

a guy i know turbocharged a 2jz-ge and made 360hp on 9psi, tho its a big turbo with cams... thats pritty good power!!

maybe if its not to suit your liking when its finished there always way to make her torquy, ie smaller turbo and low psi just to add torque..... plus having the high compression of the 2jz-ge is the way to go

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 87lux's Avatar

it's a tight fit but it'll be worth it. you'll have to put thermos on the front of the radiator and if you are using the supra radiator you can fit a metal top tank from a magna and get a right angle outlet put on it to line up with you top radiator hose. A rear sump setup is preferable but you still may be able to use a front sump.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

just an update, picked up the supra friday night, did not get the alarm remotes with it so spent fifteen minutes bypassing the alarm and away it went, runs great, so on the october long weekend will strip the car of all its running gear, will be fitting all runing gear into the hilux. once done will give it back to dad to drive, 69 year old lead foot..... lol...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

You wont be wasting your time they are a tight fit though.
    You do have to massage the firewall with an auto a little to fit the box in there not sure about w58 but think they are a lot smaller.
    Use a rear sump and you wont have to mod it at all,just sit it on top of the crossmember and make the mounts from there.
    Just space it out enough to clear the steering linkage in the straight ahead position(highest point)
    Being a 86 model i think the engine bay is a little shorter but you should be ok just have to run the fan on the front.