Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7MGTE & W58 into auto MA61

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 7MGTE & W58 into auto MA61

I'm looking into converting an auto MA61 with 5ME engine to manual W58 with a 7MGTE engine... and I need some help. And by the way I'm trying to avoid buying a half-cut to keep costs down.

So, I'm looking into buying a GA70 wreck (which used to have a 1GGE) for the W58 and other manual conversion bits. Now I assume that the gearbox/pedals/clutch/flywheel will fit into an MA61 without too much hassle - is that right?

But I also want to know whether the said bits will work with the 7MGTE without having to change bell-housings or anything. Will this work?

I've searched a number of forums but can't find the answers... any help (or witty criticism) would be great.

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Default Re: 7MGTE & W58 into auto MA61

You'll need a bellhousing that is from the M series engine to W series transmission, as far as I know the 1GGE bellhousing, while mated to the W58, wont fit up to a 7MGTE.

You'd maybe be better off finding a manual non-turbo MA70 wreck? that would have the W58 and the right bellhousing to suit, and still have the pedal box and master cylinder that you need.

Cheers,
    James

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supra6
    I'm looking into converting an auto MA61 with 5ME engine to manual W58 with a 7MGTE engine... and I need some help. And by the way I'm trying to avoid buying a half-cut to keep costs down.

So, I'm looking into buying a GA70 wreck (which used to have a 1GGE) for the W58 and other manual conversion bits. Now I assume that the gearbox/pedals/clutch/flywheel will fit into an MA61 without too much hassle - is that right?

But I also want to know whether the said bits will work with the 7MGTE without having to change bell-housings or anything. Will this work?

I've searched a number of forums but can't find the answers... any help (or witty criticism) would be great.
    The GA70 pedals wont fit. SA63, RA60, RA65, MA61, ST142?, RT142? etc will fit tho.

The G series to W58 bellhousing will not work with the M series engine. You will need to change the bellhousing and also get a M series engine, clutch, flywheel etc.

RA6x, RT142 for the manual gearbox xmember and front of tailshaft (you need a longer tailshaft when going from auto to manual).

In short, not what you suggest will not work

Cheers
    Wilbo

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Basically the only things that will work, is the gearbox itself (bellhousing wont, shifter position is wrong, shifter itself will work), the slave cylinder, and the hard line.

The master cylinder may, not 100% sure here.

Nothing else will work.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    The master cylinder may, not 100% sure here.
    Nope, looked into that when I did the 2JZ conversion, it's all wrong.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Unless the wreck is $400 or less, don't waste your time - you then have a car that will have bought only for the gearbox.

I suggest you bide your time and slowly accumulate the bits.

Try to get a complete 7MGTE with loom and ECU - this is actually tricky - they're nearly 20 years old. Keep your eye out for a W58 from an MA61 - it's been behind a shitty old 5M for all its life. The pedal box, clutch master cylinder can all be sourced from an RA65 and there's a plethora of those shitboxes at wreckers just ripe for the taking - I suggest any of the pick a part style wreckers about town. Any flywheel from an M series motor will do (except from a 7MGTE - R154 combo) - 225mm clutch was the same from 1965 right thru till the late 80's. Just get a heavy duty clutch with more clamp. The lads here with hipo 7Ms can tell you what they are using.

I also suggest perusal of this site if you haven't already - whilst not a comprehensive guide, it will gve you some insight into what you are up against.

As for keeping costs down, good luck. Whatever you budget for, double it.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 01-02-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

dont buy a 7mgte, theyre a turd. i spend almost 3K doing a perfect rebuild on a 7mge, and it only lasted 20,000km...and i drove it nicely.

Buy a 1jz half cut, you can get them for close to 2k, or a tad over 3k as a manual. Dont waste your time with a crud 7m.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic haison's Avatar

Hey be nice mate. Don't bring the 7M vs. 1JZ argument up again. Just because you have a bad experience with one doesn't mean they're all shit. Yes you do need to do a lot more work to get them running reliably but hey, they're a 20+ year old engine.

Edit: Supra6. None of the bits of the GA70 will work, you'll be better off buying a W58 on it's own and scavanging around wreckers for xA6x celicas for the manual conversion bits. It'd all up cost you less than the halfcut probably.

Good on ya for taking on this project. It'll be cool to have another 7M MA61 around the area. You'd probably finish yours before me too
    Last edited by haison; 02-02-2007 at 05:32 PM.
    1984 MA61 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12340
    1972 RT81 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24160
    RObErT_RaTh - I think it's fair to say we all love the bush
    Viper_Nipplex - If bush is this popular, just wait until the boxes are ready

Quote Originally Posted by haison
    Hey be nice mate. Don't bring the 7M vs. 1JZ argument up again. Just because you have a bad experience with one doesn't mean they're all shit. Yes you do need to do a lot more work to get them running reliably but hey, they're a 20+ year old engine.

Edit: Supra6. None of the bits of the GA70 will work, you'll be better off buying a W58 on it's own and scavanging around wreckers for xA6x celicas for the manual conversion bits. It'd all up cost you less than the halfcut probably.

Good on ya for taking on this project. It'll be cool to have another 7M MA61 around the area. You'd probably finish yours before me too
    its not an argument, its fact. im being realistic, 1jz are just as cheap - why would you go a 7m, and a 1jz has 50 more hp....its a no brainer if you ask me. I used to be a 7m lover too....but after spending that much money, and i know others have done it too...it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Toymods Midget Automotive Encyclopaedia Yian's Avatar

I got no sour taste. In fact, I may well bring supra6 for a drive in my car and convert him to a 7m
    SHE LIVES!
    1984 MA61, 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F

Junior Member Grease Monkey

ROBBO: Thanks for your advice and i take it on board... I've read the 7m myths & criticisms many times before. I'm no stranger to 7M's though - I've been driving a mk3 with 7mgte for 18 months now with no engine problems (touch wood), and i didn't even replace the HG or timing belt when i bought it! . Its just ticked over 156,000

YIAN: I;d love to have a look at your car and go for a spin in it...

HAISON: What stage is your conversion at mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Yian
    I got no sour taste. In fact, I may well bring supra6 for a drive in my car and convert him to a 7m
    i can take you for a drive in my pushrod v8 powered supra or my pushrod v6 powered hilux, and let me tell you either would make you want to convert

Im just trying to help the guy, why spend just as much on something that has been well and truly super-ceeded. im sorry to say too, but the original HG lasts about 160,000km....

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic haison's Avatar

Engine's stripped down to bare block, bored n decked. Car's stripped right down. Hoarded parts like no tomorrow.. just gotta get it all back together..

Heh yeah get yian to give you a ride-o. I was impressed even before it had the new turbo.

The great thing about using a ''superceded'' engine is stuff can be found cheap. Less than $2000 later i have 2 whole engines, new pistons, bearings, gasket kit, cometic HG, and 3 turbos. Another $1800 netted me exhaust, SAFC, aftermarket intercooler, gearbox, bigger brakes and conversion hardware and a bunch of random bits that'll make the conversion that lil bit easier.
    1984 MA61 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12340
    1972 RT81 - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24160
    RObErT_RaTh - I think it's fair to say we all love the bush
    Viper_Nipplex - If bush is this popular, just wait until the boxes are ready

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    i can take you for a drive in my pushrod v8 powered supra or my pushrod v6 powered hilux, and let me tell you either would make you want to convert them to a more modern and powerful engine
    12345 Fixed

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

So has this pushrod powered V8 Supra run any times on the track yet?