Thread: SC14 Pulley Question

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Sprinterboy's Avatar

Default SC14 Pulley Question

HI all.

I'm considering running a fixed pulley on my sc14, anybody have any feed back on this? running a fixed pulley.

brief description of car. 4AGZE, Custom plenium, SC14, cooler, bosch plumb back BOV. XF TB.

set up goes as

Filter>SC14>Cooler>TB>Plenium
    ^-----BOV-----^

What type of pulley can be fitted? what belt drive styles? Prices on a pulley?
    Anything else I can't think of
    AE86 Sprinter - The SC14 Beast (slowly rusting somewhere in the mountains)

My YouTube Channel - Watch and Listen to an Aussie rant as I drive around Washington DC
    SprinterBoyAus on YouTube
    SprinterBoyAus on Facebook

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: SC14 Pulley Question

From what ive heard you can not run the toyota supercharges (SC12 and SC14) all the time, they need to use the clutch pulleys. If you want constant boost you might need to upgrade to a Eaton charger.
    Look into the pulley size upgrade (falcon aircon?), this will give you more psi, but not constant.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

EvoSti ran a fixed pulley on an SC12 for several years at something-teen psi and it held up. I've yet to see an SC failure from overheating/melting coating/whatever. I think there are more rumours about this than there is evidence.

I reckon you'll be fine to run it fixed. If you haven't already, you might consider running a very soft spring in the BOV so that at part throttle cruising it opens and bypasses the SC, essentially meaning it'll be freewheeling. One of the AW11 boys (Nick Parker? or Ben Wilson?) knows more about this.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

yea, i've been reading up on some of Ben's SC mods, I've got a Bosch Bov and the spring feels pretty soft. I'm gonna try running the charger full time for now and see how the temps go, If I have no dramas i'll get a fixed one made up. Plus it also depends on how much boost the thing can make. I'll have to wait till it's fully tunes before i can start playing around with this.

My YouTube Channel - Watch and Listen to an Aussie rant as I drive around Washington DC

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Smile Re: SC14 Pulley Question

Hey mate. I ran an EA falcon air-con pulley on my SC12 for about 6 months. I welded the SC12 drive spline to the face of the ea pulley to make it fixed. Also had to fabricate a small metal sleeve due to the ea pulleys larger internal bearing diameter

It ran 14psi consistently, could hit it at 2000rpm and had no noticable fuel economy loss.
    Sometimes in the cold, it could nudge 15psi but the factory 4agze MAP sensor cracks the shits about 1.0bar so be wary of this. I've heard that you can use MR2 MAP sensors as a direct replacement to fix this.

How hard was it to mount your SC14? Got any pics?

Cheers
    Daniel

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I ran mine constant for a while, but you've gotta beware of the intake temps. Also, having the TB after the SC like you do, you're going to be constantly working the SC, which will KILL your fuel efficiency. Running TB before the SC means that at part throttle it's pumping in a vaccuum, therefore not really taking much power to spin. With my setup (TB before SC), it was drinking significantly more fuel (about an extra 3ltr/100km) than it normally did. The more full-throttle and thrashing you do, the less difference it'll make. The response was awesome though, but not really viable for a daily (like mine). I don't think the SC will destroy itself, having seen one in peices they're pretty bulletproof. It's the other issues you might want to keep an eye on, especially with the throttle setup. Your other option is something like an AutoRotor supercharger...which will whip the SC14 around the block all day and come back for more

RM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

A good clutch for the SC14 is a Sigma Aircon pulley, and they are a straight bolt on too.
    My brother ran one on his 18RG with a SC14 and straight LPG, He had the TPS trigger the clutch at 3/4 throttle. It was a good set up that didn't fail him.
    1975 KE30 Two Door - 3K BP, K50, & BW4.3