Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P51 rebuild Step by Step.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: P51 rebuild Step by Step.

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Nope. No NOS left for these rare gearboxes. I even tried Porsche and the Porsche Car Club, as the P51 is a Porsche patented gearbox. No joy from there either.
    Closest I have come was a listing for an OEM set on yahoo japan, but that was dated back a few years ago.
    Any way to reproduce these? maybe from another material, or does it have to be cast?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: P51 rebuild Step by Step.

They could be reproduced, as almost anything can be... given enough money. The issue is getting them to the original specifications. Unless you can find a perfect unused and unworn synchro, how are you going to make a new one? I got a spare P51 used gearbox many years ago. I was thinking of replacing mine with it, but also it could have issues which I won't know about until I actually use it. I was going to try and find a good gearbox company to have a look at it and see what they could do, but time, money and other priorities are more important at the moment. My car is driven less than a handful of times a year now, and I just use the brakes rather than down-shifting to reduce the wear on the old gearbox. Besides, brake pads are cheaper and easier to replace than a P51.

You can always swap in a W50. While it isn't original, it will bolt straight in and the gear ratios are very close to a P51. Also can get W50s fixed as there are plenty of parts for them. This will keep you going and save wear and tear on the P51 while you find a solution to getting it fixed.
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin