Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Fully Rewiring a Car?

AE86 Tuning Life Backyard Mechanic Garth AE86's Avatar

Default Cost of Fully Rewiring a Car?

Just trying to get some figures here for the cost of such a process
    and as a lot of you are experts with the soldering iron, crimping tool and shrink wrap you can give me an idea.

im talking the whole car, front to back all elelctrical wiring replaced with new, conduited and labelled accoringly, hidden wiring the engine bay etc. a pro job.

has anyone ever tried such a feat? probably old 50's hot rodders are the ones to ask seeing as their wiring is probably fucked proper.
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict
    AE86 - Levin & Trueno - The Legends Live On!
    'AE86' - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GTV

"It's not a street car if you can't drive it on the street. The car has to be safe and fast on any road condition" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Default Re: Cost of Fully Rewiring a Car?

I got quoted 500$ for a complete rewire of my GZE ae82. That was through Adelaide based Fours 'n more. I think that's a quite reasonable price, though I havent gone through with it yet.
    Whoever wired my car really had no concept of how to do a proper job. It's appaling, though it does work flawlessly which is quite suprising.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Are we talking as per factory, or as per race car, i.e. the essentials work.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

jay zee zee thir tee Carport Converter HAVABEER's Avatar

i'd love to get something like that done. 500 does sound like a good price when you think of how much effort would be invovled. i assume an autoelectriction would also be a good place to check out a quote for something like this
    As they say in the book, assembly is the reverse of dismantling, but slower cos you forgot where all the bits are

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

it all depends on what you want done. There are a few places around that will supply "replacement" wiring looms for cars, front to back. That would probably be the cheapest option.

From there..... well the cost is arbitrary really; the specifics are needed to know how much it will cost, and then from there it depends on the person doing the job as to what they charge!

In my opinion, if i got change from $1000 for a FULL FACTORY functional rewire with hidden wiring in the engine bay then i would be happy.
    It's not exactly the easiest thing to do, and it's most certainly a time consuming son-of-a-bitch!!

If you were making things minimalistic it gets much easier.... but still not the most fun

One day, when i finally get off my lazy arse and rewire the '28..... i'll let you know
    ...... butt scratcher?!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i would also suggest that $500 is not for a "complete" rewire of the entire car.
    That sounds more like a quote to rewire the engine and EFI systems.....
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

I agree with Karl there - $500 would be OMGWTFBBQfcukenwhoosh!!~1oneoneeleven for a complete rewire of the whole car. I even paid slightly more than that just to have my old 20V/Microtech wired up (but the end result was completely worth it).
    The Painless Wiring kits that I've seen around look pretty good, allowing you to have everything colour coded and with a new fuse box included etc, but you would still need a fair amount of automotive electrical knowledge to complete the job I would think.
    Something like their 12-circuit Pro Street harness would be a good option I reckon. Even better would be the universal Aussie version from Aussie Auto Loom retailing for around $550 from memory.

Check these out...

www.aussieautoloom.com.au

www.painlesswiring.com

AE86 Tuning Life Backyard Mechanic Garth AE86's Avatar

great response

i was thinking the whole deal
    as per 'leaving the factory floor' kinda job
    there a lot of shit in my car thats old and hard and cracking
    plus a lot of shit that doesnt work (ie demisters, random switches, door sensors, etc etc)
    so getting the whole lot redone would really make me confident with the electricals

im trying to gause the costs so when the new shell is prepped + painted and ready to be 'swapped out' with my current cars bits, i'll be able to have the blank shell newly pre-wired with plugs etc to just 'plug and play' everything in without worring about cracking/bending old taped up factory looms.

1000 bucks for a decent job is quite resonable considering the work.
    considering ill be getting the efi/engine bay done separately (with special plugs to remove the engine quicker etc) the "interior/accessories" looms/wiring should be easier to do.

then theres also the thought of moving all fuses relays etc into a central sealed box in the glovebox with close proximity to the other electrical conponents.

is the custom work also pricey?
    Garth - 100% AE86 Addict
    AE86 - Levin & Trueno - The Legends Live On!
    'AE86' - Toyota Sprinter Trueno GTV

"It's not a street car if you can't drive it on the street. The car has to be safe and fast on any road condition" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    One day, when i finally get off my lazy arse and rewire the '28..... i'll let you know
    i've started re-wiring my 23.. tis amazing how simple the old girl is - just time consuming.. i got everything set up in front of the tv to help keep my mind off the chore as you don't exactly need to think much.. strip, crimp, solder, shrink, strip, crimp, solder, shrink... repeat ad nauseum..

it cost me about $250 for plugs, relays, wire, shrink, etc.

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

I am currently wiring up an FE holden for a guy. It is running a VK injected 6 cyl.
    It is a full custom wiring job (as the car is now A LOT different to what it was when it came out of the factory) with all wiring hidden in engine bay and a fuse and relay panel made to go under the dash.

I have designed the system, drawn up the diagrams and made all the harnesses from scratch. So far I have spent about 20 hours on it and I still have to finish the dash harness, fit the harnesses to the car and hook up all the lights, etc. This is probably worth at least $2000.

It is very time consuming to do it from scratch but copying a factory harness would be quicker and easier (read cheaper). $1000 would be a good price but I would be sceptical about a FULL rewire for $500.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradW
    It is very time consuming to do it from scratch but copying a factory harness would be quicker and easier (read cheaper). $1000 would be a good price but I would be sceptical about a FULL rewire for $500.
    yeah sounds right. it's not like you're paying for materials, you're paying for a the work involved.. as with everything on cars, just do it yourself. you'll learn a lot, feel rewarded and save money.

the best part in my mind is being able to modify some of the electricals. eg. i've always hated the fact that the RA23s headlight switches run directly off the battery. on a rainy day i really want to have my headlights on so other cars can see me, but at the same time dread the possibility of forgetting to turn them off. this won't be a problem in the future.

also, wiring is a lot nicer (cleaner) work than most things on the car. (you're not busting your knuckles open on a filthy chassis.)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

500 bucks would only be for the engine wiring

id tell them to go .......... if they wanted the whole car wired from scratch meaning everything new for 500

i do complete wiring from scratch about one every 5 months
    it takes 4 to 5 days
    this includes new fusebox
    wiper wiring which can be a pain
    headlights also a pain
    especially if u r using old factory switches with new relays

unless u have actually done this sort of thing its hard to imagine taking 4 days

but its usually a 2000 to 2500 dollar job especially if u want heavy duty wiring
    all hidden etc

even to copy a harness for 1000 bucks is not really worth it

once u open up a loom to see or read it it gets all messy and shit

the only way to wire up a car from scratch is do it on car with all new gear

most auto elect shops will not do it for under 2500 or even 3000 because its not worth it

best bet is to ring around and get prices

i have done old mustangs
    old datsun
    race cars
    rally cars
    4wds
    cobra kit cars

all of them have been over 1500

another easier way is with a painless wiring loom

but even then theyre worth 500 bucks just for wiring kit

it still takes 3 or so days to sort everything out like all the lil bugs etc

so its still goin to cost over 1500 if the person charges accordingly

so unless u know someone who can do u a favour then its not cheap

i can do a very nice job with alot of wires hidden and with abit of extra work u can make it very very neat

but u have to pay its all up to labour time
    Last edited by sideshow; 04-01-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Thanks for the price list sideshow, im now much more happy that i did my own wiring on the race car. But then again, as many people have alluded to that is much easier due to the fact that i only need the bare essentials. Infact, i only need a total of 12 fuses.

Pity that the shops i went to didnt have anything other than red wire when i did mine :S
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

im not being rude but u should spend bit more time making it nice and tidy

the tidier it is the less hassles u have

another thing i try not to use is the fuseboxes or holders with the push on terminals

they are one of the most common probs of bad connections with terminals falling off

the parts i buy are twice as dear but work much better

plus i try not to use those gold stereo connectors that u screw the cable into

on a car thats driven every day its very easy to get probs

i recently rewired complete 240z for the east african safari rally in africa
    the car had to be finished very soon to get on boat
    i had bugger all time for testing
    so u have to check and tripple check everything

all this takes time and that is where the money goes

luckily i found out it had no wiring probs hehe

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

What fuseblocks/boxes do you use sideshow?