Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TA22 + rack and pinion

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default TA22 + rack and pinion

Well guys after 50 minutes of searching, I have come to the conclusion that no one has done a TA22 rack and pinion steering conversion.

Lotsa info on TA23/RA23/RA28, and good stuff too.
    The problem, is the old TA22 just does not have the same X member width as the 23/28's.

Many measurements later, and the KE70 rack, would require shorter tie rod ends, as there is insufficient adjustment in the rod end to take out 50mm. That should not be too much of a problem.

The TA22 draglink is 25mm shorter than 23/28's, and the 23/28's managed to add another 25mm total to the tie rods, making a total difference of 50mm.

The KE70 rack with tie rods is exactly the same length as 23/28's draglink with tie rods fitted. You lucky 23/28 owners. So all you guys have to do is locate the rack exactly where the draglink was, at dead ahead, and you are in business.

As for fitting a KE70 crossmember to a TA22, nuh huh, that is not going to happen, because the angle change, wher the X member starts to droop toward the centre, is going to be outboard of where the Xmember bolts need to be by 25mm each side. Again the 23/28 boys win !!!. But it is still marginal for them, as the new bolt hole in the member is right on the change of angle.

So what options do we have?

Custom brackets to attach the rack to the TA22 X member, as long as you can get the rack to sit in the original draglink position.

Not for me damn it, my engine sump extension pushes this line down by 50mm. Installation of 50mm LCA blocks, should restore the correct ackerman angle.

Any thoughts, or known solution to putting a rack and pinion into a TA22, will be appreciated.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 + rack and pinion

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    Well guys after 50 minutes of searching, I have come to the conclusion that no one has done a TA22 rack and pinion steering conversion.
    not quite true. There is (or at least was) a purple ta22 on carsales.com.au that had a rack and pinion conversion.

Might be worth getting in contact with the owner
    Got good condition 23/28 bonnet hinges? pm me

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Will see if I can find the length of a KP Starlet rack for you, unfortunately my KP has a Carina rack now so can't measure that.
    If it is close enough may be worth importing a couple from NZ.

Callum

kugz, yes mate, aint there now.

Callum, yeah that would be great thanks, as I remember something about starlets rack and pinion, from a previous search, Did not come up this time round though.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

found it, its still there

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?total_rec=4&search_dis tance=25&selected_model=0&vehicle_id=3150794&keywo rd=ta22&state_id=-1&current_rec=4&search_type=20&used_rec=0&category _id=3
    Got good condition 23/28 bonnet hinges? pm me

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

Hi Chuck,

Are you sure the KE70 only requires shorter rod?
    From memory when I was looking at doing the rack conversion the KE70 rack required shortening?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Starlet racks are shorter than ke70, cant remember exactly but 40 - 50mm rings a bell.. Cannot comment on the xmember itself though.

KE70 into RA23/8 doesn't require shortening if you are happy to increase the track width as well. If you want original track width then yes it would need shortening to eliminate bump steer.

The rack doesn't necessarly have to go where the drag link is. Factory steering is far from perfect.

To get a good idea of the rough positioning of the rack it should sit slightly infront of the outer tie rod ends and the steering arms themselves will sit parallel to the control arms. If you check that out, you'll find that probably isn't where the drag link is.

Cheers
    Joel

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

Callum, if you can get your hads on a Starlet rack and its a bit shorter than the KE70, i'll give you some cash to send it over.

Cool1 at the point where I am considering mounting the rack, the body length is not critical.
    I have the xmember if needed, just sussing things out at the moment, with the engine dummy fitted to a junker shell !

kugzs, thank you for the link, I have contacted the guy via email, just hope he replies.

Joel, you are right, factory is not exactly ideal, I will be doing a lot of fudging !!

thanks for your input guys, cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

chuck, sean maloney from IDB used to advertise in fast fours for rack and pinion conversions for 22's.
    1. There's no point arguing with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    2. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

Thanks for that, Sean Maloney eh, (IDB) ? I will have to see if I can find some contact details.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Check the AW11 and AE92 manual racks.
    They are shorter than the KE70/AE86 racks and will be easier to find than Starlet racks.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

i know of a guy (ex meridian motorsport) who had a 22 and did an R&P conversion to it using a ke70 rack - he also has to use the ke70 column as well IIRC

T if you're reading this do you know where he went?

the other i've heard of is using an ae82 rack.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Ill see what i can do about getting measurements for an AE92 or AE82 rack. Im intending to do this conversion over the summer and would build the entire rack out of the car before hand.
    MWP: you used an AE92 rack with a RA28 crossmember didnt you?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    Thanks for that, Sean Maloney eh, (IDB) ? I will have to see if I can find some contact details.

cheers Chuck.
    chuck,
    it appears he may have retired
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showpo...&postcount=261
    1. There's no point arguing with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
    2. Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference