Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TA22 + rack and pinion

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 + rack and pinion

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    Chuck - the guy on this site has done the conversion to a KE25 suing the KP starlet rack IIRC, it is worth reading through as he goes one way and changes plan of attack.
    Teh whole point of the exercise is that if it is going to fly on a KE25, the at least some of it will be relevant to the TA22.

http://1uzfe.com

Good luck.
    I think that a KE25 is narrower than a TA22 though, a KE30 is certainly narrower than the 22, as i park behind Ahrensys every day.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    I think that a KE25 is narrower than a TA22 though, a KE30 is certainly narrower than the 22, as i park behind Ahrensys every day.
    Thats ok cause it looks like the KP rack is a tad to wide for the KE.

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRA28
    When I was looking into them seemed best to get some send over from NZ.
    Yes indeed - WDE_BDY has suggested that they're available over there earlier in this thread.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

I intend to pull one (maybe two) KP6# racks from a wreck dumped outside the wreckers near me this weekend. If its still there I will take it, measure it and photograph it this weekend to see if its a suitable option. Unfortunately my Starlet currently has the complete crossmember, rack and front suspension from a TA63 Carina so doesn't really help anyone.

Callum

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    Chuck - the guy on this site has done the conversion to a KE25 suing the KP starlet rack IIRC, it is worth reading through as he goes one way and changes plan of attack.
    Teh whole point of the exercise is that if it is going to fly on a KE25, the at least some of it will be relevant to the TA22.

http://1uzfe.com

Good luck.
    Thank you for the link YelloRolla. I had a good read about the flea some time ago. He has made progress !!!!

Guess I will be crawling around under cars again tomorrow. This time to locate/triangulate/vector, and just generally get stuff in the correct position.

Thank you to all, that have contributed so much to this thread. 'Tis nothing short of amazing what has been done, and is being done in the world of TOYMODS.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Ill be doing a dry assembly of my system before i put it in, so measurements galore for me
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    That is one hell of a mouth full, but after reading it several times, I think I have it nutted.

So here goes my version:
    Rack rod length =control arm length.
    Control arm parrallel to rack rod.

Second bit:
    If centre lines are drawn through all the joints, and connected to the neighbouring joints, visually you should have a parrallelogram. I tested this by grabbing 2 long welding rods, and 2 shorter rods.

Owen, have I got that correct? If not, I will edit it out.

Steering is very dynamic, with the angles between all points subject to change with road surface variations, so it is quite critical that the geometry is set correctly. By mounting a steering rack too far rearward, an increase in Ackerman angle will occur, this will change the cornering characteristics quite markedly. ie massive inside tyre scrub, and a tendancy for the vehicle to almost trip over on the inside wheel.

cheers Chuck.
    Dont forget that the control arm ball joint is infact lower than the tie rod end ball joint. Its all about relativity.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Dont forget that the control arm ball joint is infact lower than the tie rod end ball joint. Its all about relativity.

Cheers, Owen
    Good stuff Owen, RCA adjusters could come in handy If I get it wrong.

A few more measurements this arvo, the rack ball ends, are each about 5mm outboard of the centeline of the LCA bushes. The link to the "FLEA", shows how the rack, and the ball ends can be shortened. Me thinks this is the way I will proceed. Crossmember out of the car tomorrow, and start fabricating the mounts. Mine will have to sit a little lower than anyone with a "T" series engine. But I will take a few pics, as the job progresses.

cheers Chuck.

Just in, AW11 rack end to end is 60mm wider than TA22 linkages, all laid out on the ground.
    Last edited by "Z" UTE; 27-10-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: new info
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

OK, KP rack time. End to end the rack is about 590mm. Was a bit tricky measuring to the centre of the rack ends so have just measured to the ends. From steering arm to rack end is around 300mm and the KP LCA mounts are 600mm apart.

If you need anymore measurements or pics just let me know, will grab them in the morning as its beer time now.

Callum

PS – this rack is stuffed, got water in and seized solid. I can also confirm the spline for the steering column is shared with the xA6x Celica’s and Carina’s, the Starlet universal bolted straight to my Carina rack.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    Good stuff Owen, RCA adjusters could come in handy If I get it wrong.
    RCAs wont help you. All they are for is to reset your suspension back to the factory bumpsteer setting after lowering. They will not help you if you design bumpsteer into your setup, they may even make it worse.

Callum,
    The important measurement is between the centres of the two balljoints on the rack end. These will require you to remove the rack boots. The other lenghths can be modified by choosing appropriate tie rod ends, rack ends, and by changing the adjustment between those two.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

Just subscribing, so i dont have to keep searching for this thread,
    Im very interested to see where this goes

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Dont know if it helps, but holden gemini's are a good source of short rack's.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

User Conversion King

i think it would be worth looking at a AE71 as a source of the xmember and rack.

they ~look~ like an awfully close match.
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    i think it would be worth looking at a AE71 as a source of the xmember and rack.

they ~look~ like an awfully close match.
    We have already established that they are too wide for a TA22.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

AE71/KE70/AE86 all same width..

AE82 is narrower for sure.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]