Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF]

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF]

Ok, since there has been some clamouring for a guide for this i thought i would put together an updated guide from the word docs and PDFs which have been floating around. This one with pictures.
    The pictures are collated from the two sets im making up now, and from my original conversion to my AE86 IPRA car.
    Ill try and colour code things for clarity.
    Stuff in Red are big things to look out for, and potential show stoppers.
    Stuff in Blue are rumours which are false
    Stuff in Green are rumours which i believe to be true
    Stuff in Orange are rumours which i have not seen or have not had a chance to confirm.
    So strap yourselves in for a ride, here we go:

Parts List
    Basics
    • XT130 Struts and Hubs
    • Peugot 604 Discs (DBA272 or equiv.)
    • Hilux 4-spot Calipers (LN106)

Coilovers
    • Top Hats/Cambertops
    • Upper Hats
    • Adjustable Collar/Perches
    • Coilover Spring

What to do, and how to do it
    The Basics
    Ok, lets get stuck into the basics of what you need and how to do it. Firstly you need to start with the XT130 struts. I usually source mine from a wrecker, and since im lazy i normally get them pulled out for me...
    Basically they look like this:

Apparently RT132 struts are the same as XT130 ones. According to this page too: http://www.garagedori.com/tech/suspe..._into_ke35.php Confirmed
    A lot of the wreckers i have been to have told me that all *T13* struts are the same. This is completely untrue. The only possible exception to this is the RT132 struts above. Dont get caught out here
    You will then want to strip everything off them until you get bare struts like this:

In addition to this you need to keep the hub unit:

Apparently RT132 hubs provide a few mm extra offset and solve the fouling problem as seen later Confirmed

Now that you have some bare struts you will want to get your discs and send them off for machining. Many people have been reporting problems sourcing the RDA and DBA items (as of Oct 06) and i have experienced these problems in the past. Each time i have done this i have sourced the "OEM" items which seem to be made or at least branded by Brembo anyway. They come and look like this:

You need to get these machined down to 266mm in diameter so that they dont foul. I take mine to a machinist to do this.
    Apparently you can also file material out of the caliper so they clear. However by my calculations you would need to take (273-266)/2=3.5mm out of the caliper, which im extremely dubious about.File calipers at your own risk
    You also need to gain clearance for the mounting holes. They are out by about 1.2mm. Methods of doing this vary, you can either drill out your holes by 1mm OD and then file slightly, or you can simply file only. The arguement about slotting vs enlarging continues on and probably wont stop for a while. FWIW the discs on the IP car are enlarged, and i have made a couple of sets up slotted. No difference in them in my humble opinion.

Now, onto the calipers. You want to source Hilux or Landcruiser 4spot calipers. These come from an LN106. However, as i have found out the hard way there are two different calipers which came out on the Hilux. As pictured here:

They are reasonably different in size, and use different pads and have different piston sizes.

However, the LN106 only came out with the one caliper, wheras the Hilux of the same era came out with both. Some wreckers will try and sell you the Hilux caliper as the Landcruiser It is not a particularly big showstopper, as both will work fine. The Landcruiser caliper takes the 200SX/R33/R32 pad, wheras the Hilux caliper will take an RX7 Series4 pad.

The Hilux caliper also has a slightly better clearance profile as we will see later.
    Last edited by takai; 11-11-2006 at 12:40 PM.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Default Re: [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF

Assembly
    Ok, at this point you have to make some decisions regarding assembly. I have only ever made these up as height adjustable coilovers, but you can do them as a standard spring. You would need to get custom springs made up with the lower part wound for the Corona perch, and the upper part wound for whatever you are going to put them into.
    If others have pictures of that setup then I can update this post with them later

*images of custom springs on standard perches go here*

As for the coilovers this is what you do.
    Firstly you will need to grind off the current spring perch. This is best done with an angle grinder as so:

At this point you dont want to cut into the strut, so try and refrain from that for now. If you are intending to shorten the strut you dont need to smooth off the rest of the perch as i have done there. From memory those were for another car which was going to run standard height struts.

Next you need to get some coilover perches or collars. These come in two different types, the alloy sleeved type, and the steel sleeved type. Of course they have their intrinsic advantages and disadvantages. Personally i use the Alloy type and dont have any issues with them. For the hard of visualisation here are the type i use:

They are pictured there with the T3 needle roller bearing upper hats and some Eibach springs.
    The size you need is 2" or if they want metric its 51mm. Any smaller/larger and it wont fit (properly at least).

And here comes the big decision you need to make. What inserts to use. Which ones you go with will determine whether you want to cut down your struts or leave them at standard height. Also calculating your spring rates and adjustment will determine whether you want to use shorter stroke shocks and simply space them up in the strut or shorten the strut. That discussion is best left for another time (possibly a post later in this thread)

Needless to say i was using the Tokico HTS102s and so i shortened my strut by 50mm and then added a 20mm spacer at the bottom of the tube. At the same time i had a steel collar welded on the strut to locate the bottom of the alloy sleeves since they cannot be welded directly to the steel strut:

In order to fit those i heated them in a water bath in my oven and simultaneously had the struts in our chest freezer. Then when they had both been in there for an hour or so i quickly assembled them with a rubber mallet, and when they have returned to room temperature they are a wonderful interference fit. Just make sure you dont get them around the wrong way as i know some people have

The rest of the suspension assembly is fairly self explanatory, put inserts in struts

springs on collars, upper hats on springs, top hats ontop and bolt together. Insert in car.

A word of warning, some top hats will foul on the upper hats as seen here:

you may need something like this

Always dry fit things before putting them together for real

Brake Assembly
    Brake assembly is really easy. From here you need to just bolt the disc onto the back of the hub.
    *need image*
    For this it is highly reccomended to use Loctite to assemble this, to ensure that nothing comes apart at speed.
    Then bolt the hub to the strut via the stub axle, and then the caliper over the disc. Make sure you use Loctite again on the caliper to strut mount, as if this comes off at speed its extremely not pretty. Then insert more grease into the bearing and into the bearing cap, and pop it on. Put the pads into the discs and connect the brake lines. Bleed your brakes and stand back and admire. It should look something like this:

or
    Last edited by takai; 18-10-2006 at 02:32 PM.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Default Re: [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF

RT132 Hubs and Offset

One of the interesting rumours going around about the C/P/H conversion is that the RT132 hubs actually increase the offset of the setup. As is with the XT130 hubs the calipers protrude between 3 and 5mm from the face of the hub. This can cause some fouling issues with certain offset wheels. The Hilux calipers have a slightly lower profile of the nodule than the Landcruiser "fins", and so are able to clear wheels better. The 14x7s used on my AE86 have a 0 offset with a fairly gentle "ramp" angle on the spokes. this means that they foul on the Landcruiser calipers but not on the Hilux ones. Apparently the RT132 hubs will correct this setup, and lower the protusion greatly. I will be purchasing some RT132 hubs at some point in the future to figure out whether this works or not.

Wheel Sizes
    As with most big brake upgrades your tiny cheese cutter 12"s or 13" wont fit over the new setup. However, the C/P/H setup is a lot more forgiving in this regard. You will be able to fit most (probably not all) 14" rims over the setup. Im running Cheviot Hotwires on mine, and many run the MA61 rims over the top. See note about offset above
    Last edited by takai; 16-10-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Brake Master Cylinder Upgrades
    Ok, so after this conversion you will probably have a fairly spongey brake pedal, which is a result of going from a caliper designed for a 13/16" MC to a caliper designed for a 15/16" or 1" MC. So the solution to this? Install a 15/16" or 1" MC.

This is what is on offer:
    AE86
    Starion MC.
    The humble Mitsubishi Starion is a good donor for a master cylinder of 15/16" and it will bolt up directly to the brake booster which you will already have. You will need to make a new front line, but that isnt a big issue. Sadly i dont have any pre-toasty pictures of this setup. So here is a toasty one:

Nissan Patrol
    The Starion guys when they go to a larger brake setup they use a 17/16" master from the Nissan Patrol. You need a good strong vacuum source from the booster in order to actuate this one properly. It will have a reasonably hard pedal, and if your booster is busted like my AE86 one was you will just get MASSIVE rear brake bias The part number for this is JB1716. It looks like this:

*will get better photo*

TA23/RA28 and Old CelicasNOT TA22s
    The MA70 1" master cylinder will mount up to the stock 23/28 booster cylinder.

Cheers Witzl.

KE30 and Old CorollasProbably TA22s as well
    According to Fooks 35 a Mitsubishi Pajero MC will bolt up to the stock 35 booster. That means i assume it will bolt up to the 30 and 5x boosters as well. I think it looks like this.

Photo courtesy of Fook, from here: http://fookseung.fotki.com/automotiv.../07100011.html
    Another option may be the AE85 Tercel (not sprinter) master cylinder.

TA22s
    A 2003-2006 Camry MC will bolt up to the stock TA22 booster. As seen here:

Thanks to w810sc and YLD-16L for the pics/tech.

Here are pics of a stock Camry MC so people know what they are looking for:

Thanks to faquito for the latest photos.

All Cars. Custom unboosted setup
    Ok, this is the grand daddy of all brake master cylinder upgrades that you can do. It means removing all the booster setup and making a custom plate to fit in its place. The MC which i have found which is extremely good for this setup is suprisingly enough from a Datsun 240K. Basically you need to make up a thick plate with studs on either side to mount the cylinder off. I have done this with an 8mm piece of steel and some hex head studs. 4 will mount back to the pedal box, and another 2 to the cylinder. Like so:

You will then need to figure out an appropriate length pushrod in order to actuate the cylinder. This takes a bit of testing as you want it to be horizontal for about 95% of the travel of the pedal. I have chosen to put a rose joint into the setup, for a couple of reasons. One so that the pushrod remains captive even if there is a reasonably catastrophic failure. Secondly this allows there to be a fixed pivot point so there can be a vaguely seesawing action in order to locate the pushrod.
    On my setup it looks something like this:

All installed it looks like this:

*NOTE* This needs to be done at your own risk. Playing with brake parts is reasonably dangerous to begin with, let alone customising mounts and making your own master cylinder mount and actuator. If you are not confident with anything in this guide then DO NOT DO IT.

This guide brought to you by Garage Takai the home of semi-useless things which very few people have enough money to fund or are crazy enough to do it.
    DISCLAIMER: Usual stuff, you break it, you bought it. Its not my fault if you cant wield a spanner or do simple addition. Crash and die in a fire at your own risk.
    Last edited by takai; 27-10-2007 at 08:13 AM.

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

Default Re: [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF]

mate so far that is an awsome peice of work you are doing there, cant wait till you post it all up.

sam.
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Junior Member Grease Monkey DoctorDubb's Avatar

Default Re: [Guide] Corona/Peugot/Hilux Conversion with Height Adjustable Coilovers [56k DIAF]

What a great complete guide! Well Done and thanks, definately something that i was looking for as im going to be doing this conversion soon.

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

Now this is what Toymods is all about! Great posts dude.
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

thanks heaps mate for posting these up!!!!.... it makesd it so much clearer!!!

didnt know how the strut intsert was held inplace with the coilover kit......now i do!

what shocks did you use in this conversion?......

and what roughly did the springs cost you? and what rates did you get?

cheers heaps mate!

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Great guide!

Watch the rep flood in
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Thank you!

I'm sure this is going to come in so handy...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by IN 05 NT
    thanks heaps mate for posting these up!!!!.... it makesd it so much clearer!!!

didnt know how the strut intsert was held inplace with the coilover kit......now i do!

what shocks did you use in this conversion?......

and what roughly did the springs cost you? and what rates did you get?

cheers heaps mate!
    The strut insert isnt quite held in by the coilover, it is actually held in by a gland nut on the top, as per the original strut. On mine the coilover kit is ensured that it will be captive by the gland nut as well.
    The shocks im using are Tokico HTS102s, specifically for AE86s and specifically a racing shock.
    Im using King springs currently, although i had Eibachs before. My rates will be fairly useless to anyone but me since im running semi-slicks on a specific car with specific temps. Plus im not overly inclined to give away all the little bits of information about the car.

Seen, but not heard Grease Monkey fingers's Avatar

Damn man! That's a fu(king awesome post. This is like the bible of Corona/Pug/Hilux brake conversion. I'm inspired!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Nice guide

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

Good stuff!

What brand perches are you using?

thanks
    jon

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

just also wondering why there are 2 different springs in one of the pics? yellow n red?

btw guys,....imprts bits have the kits (thanks to takai)

and also WHOLSALE SUSP, at penrith have them, $roughly 260 (alloy)

and PEDDERS susp at hornsby $ price depends on the strut tube diameter, (steel)

oh, one more.....what do you think is better? using the alloy tube and having an interference fit like you did
    or using a stainless steel tube and weleding it direct to the tube?

cheers, blake