Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18R and Weber 32/36 settings?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 18R and Weber 32/36 settings?

Hi again

hmmm i assume i was going over the idle jet rev area, i did some normal hard driving, before i took the plugs out, so i would assume i was mostly above 3000rpms.

i dont remember exactly where the idle screw is set, but i remember its within the limit from the tuning specs, i counted both idle screw and mixture screw very carefully so that is set by the book.

i did another testdrive now, and i think it runs a lot better for some reason, this time i really noticed the diffrence when the secound throttle opened.

now another weird thing happened tho, the car kept running like crazy after i switched ignition off, seems like something strange is going on

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

A quick tip for those wanting to tune thier carb...
    I dont have a jet kit... ive been soldering mine up then using different sized small drills.
    Works very well, and saves buying a jet kit.

i did another testdrive now, and i think it runs a lot better for some reason, this time i really noticed the diffrence when the secound throttle opened.
    Do you notice a big difference when you just start to crack open the second throttle?
    I have this problem with mine which indicates top end of primary is running lean.
    Im going to play with the primary air jet to fix this tomorrow.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hi

Its not a big diffrence when the 2nd throttle opens, but its a differnce. i notice it best if i go on low rpms and floor the pedal, it has a lot more torque now than before.

do u know what size jets u have? is it also an 18R?

thanks again for ur help

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Mine is a 21R and im running a 34ADM (34/34).
    I dont know what the jet sizes are because, as i said, they have been soldered up and drilled out for adjustment.

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bnicho
    Hi,

It's not really clear from your post which jets are which. If your main jets at the bottom of the float bowl are:
    primary: 135
    secondary: 130
    ... then they are very lean and would be causing power loss!

I'd switch to:
    primary: 140
    secondary: 150
    ... and you should see an immediate improvement.

Air correctors sound about right if they are:
    primary: 165
    secondary: 160

Get the mains right first, then you can increase/decrease the air correctors to fine-tune the top end. Smaller number air corrector = richer top end. Larger number = leaner top end. ie: the Opposite to Mains.

Cheers
    thanks heaps i rejetted my weber to those specs and my my does it make difference
    with those new settings should i see better fuel economy?
    oh and for some reason before the jet change there was 140 in primary and 140 in secondaries

anyways +rep to ya

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

oh and i was told from a friend if you hold the revs to 2000rpm then just open it right up there should be no hesitation (in neutral)

luke

Forum Member

I have a RA25 with the 18R engine. Having stalling issues and thinking to replace the carb with a Weber 32/36, however I'm unsure if I should get the DGV or the DGEV type. There is no choke level in the car interior, so I assume that means it's an automatic choke and therefore needs the DGEV carb?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by RA25_Celica View Post
    I have a RA25 with the 18R engine. Having stalling issues and thinking to replace the carb with a Weber 32/36, however I'm unsure if I should get the DGV or the DGEV type. There is no choke level in the car interior, so I assume that means it's an automatic choke and therefore needs the DGEV carb?
    The E in dgev means an electric choke, check what voltage is recommended when purchasing. Some use an 8 volt tap from alternator, such as XE-XF Falcons, others just need 12 volt wire from ignition switch feed to coil. Other option is to buy DGV and fit aftermarket choke cable kit.