Thread: AE92 4AGE engine swap to 4AGZE!! Questions?

grease monkey Grease Monkey

Wink AE92 4AGE engine swap to 4AGZE!! Questions?

Hey
    I am about to swap a engine over in a ae92 GTI with a 4AGE in it, and i just need to know if a 4AGZE from a AE101 will bolt straight in, if not what modifications need to be done? Also how much do the electrics change will i have to swap the looms over as well or just the computers? Any help would really be appreciated...

Cheers
    Scott

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Default Re: AE92 4AGE engine swap to 4AGZE!! Questions?

The engines are fairly different and i'm fairly sure that you'll need to use the standard engine mounts and bolt them to the ze. As for wiring it will be different to the ge and you will therefore need to use the ze wiring that along with the ze computer. You will also need to find the pin outs for the ecu so you can wire this up to your chassis loom so that you can have things working like gauges etc. I'm sure this has been covered eleventy billion times, do a search and ye shall find.

- LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Smile Re: AE92 4AGE engine swap to 4AGZE!! Questions?

G'day mate, i have done exactly what you want to do.
    I have put an ae101 4agze from a frontcut into my 100kw ae93 sx seca, which should be identical to the 100kw gti variant that you have, as far as engine bay etc is concerned.

Getting the engine actually in, isn't too bad. Im pretty sure i kept most of my existing 4age engine mounts. ie. you can't use the ae101 eng mounts. The power steering rack from the ae101 bolts straight in and the ae101 shafts go thru the standard 4age hubs etc so you can literally just bolt the new engine and gearbox in.

As far as electrics is concerned, unfortunately because we want to use ae101 gear in an ae92/93 the ecu plugs have to be modified, as well as some splicing of the ae101 loom onto the ae92. In short, its easiest to keep your ae92 loom and get someone that knows what they are doing, to make the appropriate modifications. (they will need the ae101 loom on hand to do this). I did all the mechanical stuff myself and paid a 4agze dude in perth to do the electrics for $350. If you had an ae92 4agze its pretty much just plug and play with the ecu swap and thats it, everything just fucking works...goddamn it

-- tacho and oil pressure --
    Being a gti u probably have oil pressure guage and tacho (like me) on your standard dash. The ae101 ze's commonly have only an oil light (not guage) so if you want to get oil pressure running, you will have to replace the oil pressure sender (rip it off your 4age block) and switch it with the "light only" oil pressure sender on your 4agze.

To get the factory 4age tacho working with your new coil-pack (not electronic dizzy) 4agze the trick i did was buy an ae92 4agze dash cluster (thru toymods for $50), open it up and swap the tacho motor with my 4age dash tacho motor. Works like a dream.

-- oils --
    make sure you do your supercharger oil, gearbox oil and engine oil.
    supercharger oil : castrol syntrax 75W/90
    gearbox oil : FUCHS fully synthetic 75W/90
    engine oil : mobil 1 fully synthetic
    I recommend against using FUCHS synthetic engine oil on second hand 4agze, its seems to accelerate any damage already on the engine. (bearings etc)

-- fuel supply --
    You would definately want to look into upgrading your fuel system to cope with the supercharged engine. I use a surge tank that is filled by the existing in-tank 4age fuel pump. Fuel in the surge tank is pumped to the engine by a VL turbo external fuel pump. This setup cost around $150 DIY. For an easier fix, a 7mgte in-tank fuel pump is a direct replacement and will do fine. Good luck finding a second hand one, they are around $300 new, from memory.

-- thats it --
    get ready for some fun, if you are lucky enough to have an LSD box, u are in for some seriously hysteric laughter while battling to keep the two strips, that you will no doubt be leaving, on the road - and not on someones front lawn or a footpath. I had a smile on my face for days...
    The ae101 gearbox also feels amazing. So much tighter and shorter than the 100kw 4age.

pm me if you need some more info
    Daniel

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i dont think there is really any need to upgrade the fuel system from the stock AE92 4age fuel supply system. The fuel pump is capable of supplying all the fuel the 4agze will want, and the tank is internally baffled enough to prevent surge in even super hard cornering situations.....
    .... the most i would bother doing is upgrading to perhaps a Walbro intank 255L/min pump, a very simple upgrade, although not necessary in my mind.

I would also suggest AGAINST Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil - it's far too thin for the old clunky 4A!! Use a 15W-50 or similar weight oil.

There is also no real need to go for the AE101 steering rack either. The stock AE92 one works fine.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

grease monkey Grease Monkey

Hey...Thanks for the advice
    Im kinda leaning towards the AE92 4AGZE just for the ease of wiring, but can anyone suggest a reason why i shouldnt?

Cheers
    Scott

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, the AE101 GZE has a higher chance of netting you a LSD box rather than the normal Open box which the AE92 cuts have.
    Either way, its just as easy. Pretty simple conversion, just pull the old one out, drop the new one in, wire up and fit IC.
    The AE92 GTi fuel pump will serve your needs easily, it worked perfectly for me, and sofar as i know works fine for PooJou too.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Smile Re: AE92 4AGE engine swap to 4AGZE!! Questions?

-- choosing ae101ze or ae92ze --
    If doing the conversion again, I would definately have chosen ae92 4agze purely for the ease of install and setup as my first proper conversion. All the wiring loom just plugs back in, the ecu can be hot swapped, and it should start.

From another point of view, choosing ae92 4agze will mean that the engine likely will have done more km's as it will be ~2-5years older that ae101's. A tired supercharged engine is definately more of a risk. My 1994 ae101 had 64,000km's on it.

-- oil --
    Thin oil is an issue if the engine is worn, even if the seals are fine and you have no leaks, changing to thin oil alone can accelerate long term bearing damage etc very fast. So in hindsight I agree with Witzl, stick with a tamer oil