Thread: AA60 carina questions (suspension eg + 3SGE swap)

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default AA60 carina questions (suspension eg + 3SGE swap)

Okay, so I've just recently bought a fairly good condition AA60 carina. 8)

Just yesterday stripped out all of the interior on the lookout for rust, but it looks pretty good!

I'm planning to use this as a base for my spare gen 4 3SGE engine, single VVTI.

However I've only ever really played around with my SW20 before (which has same engine)
    and I'm a bit new to this 'oldschool' car stuff. So I've got a few questions.

1. Is the IRS in the AA63 any good? I've heard it was a bit crap, and there wasnt really any advantage over the live axle in this model.

2. Standing my 3S upright... Does the gen 4 have oil draining issues, like previous generations?
    Could I bolt on the oil pickup/sump/intake manifold/exhaust manifold from an Altezza? Assuming I could find them, hehe.

3. Anyone know any good tricks/tips for suspension/brakes/etc? I'm currently planning to use cressida front struts with vented disks, and... dunno for the rear, maybe hilux. Is the T series drum rear very strong?

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Default Re: AA60 carina questions (suspension eg + 3SGE swap)

IRS is the same semi trailing arm setup shared across the a6x series celicas/supras, z1x soarers and x7x cressidas. It's not the most brilliant thing in the world, but it's less complicated than other IRS types. What will the car be used for?

For brakes, look into the z32/r32 brake upgrade. Suspension you could look at s13 stuff or going completely custom.

T series rear end should be adequate for the neck-snapping torque of the 3S. Aftermarket 2 way lsds are common for them. However F series upgrade isn't impossible if you need to go up. More ring gear/pinion options are available for the F thanks to the 4wd/hilux peeps.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

The IRS isn't an easy swap so ignore that option anyway, a bit of money on bushes and springs will have the rear nicely sorted with the live axle.

Callum

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY
    The IRS isn't an easy swap so ignore that option anyway, a bit of money on bushes and springs will have the rear nicely sorted with the live axle.

Callum

agreed.

Nah I didnt mean for the sake of converting to IRS, if it was heaps better, I'd sell my AA60 and look for a good AA63 (Which doesnt sound too easy!)

Originally I was planning to have it as a gravel sprint type car, dedicated race car with rollcage etc. As this is something I've always wanted to do.

However this car is in way too nicer condition, and way too cool to strip down to a race car!
    I'll probably keep it as a time period looking street car. Everywhere except for under the bonnet, anyway.

Also I've heard a little about how S13 suspension works, is there much fab required? Or is it bolt up?

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

A bit of work required for S13 stuff and not really worthwhile with the brake upgrades available for the xA6x chassis. Only advantage is really availability of coilovers but easy enough to convert your current struts.

Callum