Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4age cooling system problems

Raastler Grease Monkey

Exclamation 4age cooling system problems

Ok, I've had to replace my engine.

I originally had a 88kw AE82 Bigport in and replaced the waterpump last year, it ran fine and was great and stayed at around 80deg all the time.

I bought a long motor which was a 96kw AE86 Bigport. I swapped my whole water system from the ae82 motor to the ae86, rear head sensor bit, rear and front half of the waterpump and also the remote thermostat setup. Im also running no thermostat as my car is at the track alot and I like to keep it running fairly cool (72deg'ish idle)

Once I completed putting the motor together, cranked it, ran fine, took it for a drive. The temperature kept rising untill it kept going and was at about just over 3/4 on the standard gauge and my ECU handcontroller was telling me 103deg-106deg.

Next day I dumped the coolant and ran a Flush cycle for atleast 20mins, replaced the coolant but to no luck, same problem of overheating.

I asked a phew people and was told by CLG that old resedue in the motor had flaked off and blocked my radiator, fair enough I thought. So the next day I took my radiator out, pressure flushed hte engine and put in a replacement radiator, same problem agian.

There is also no signs of a blown headgasket.

So for the record,

-Water pump good, replaced of motor that run good temp
    -Radiator replaced
    -Engine flushed
    -Not running a Thermostat
    -No signs of Blown headgasket
    Please can someone help me with this problem.

I was wondering if it would have to do with using the fwd waterpump rear that attatches to the block or any other bit, what have i missed.

Thanks to anyone that can help in advanced.

Matt

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: 4age cooling system problems

Check the lines running to and from the heater box. If you get those mixed up or in the wrong order you can get nice airlocks in the engine.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Raastler Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Check the lines running to and from the heater box. If you get those mixed up or in the wrong order you can get nice airlocks in the engine.
    I dont have no heater, the line just goes to the back of the head where hte senders are.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-AE86
    I dont have no heater, the line just goes to the back of the head where hte senders are.
    so you have a heater? two negatives make a positive.

you should just say "i dont have a heater"

jack the front of the car up and run it to bleed any air out of the system. air locks can be a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

how's the fan?? is it good??

and also the thermostat.. u should use one.. it has been established that it's not good to go without one... (i picked this up from an overheating problem with a 3S motor so i'd suggest u start with that too)..

also try to get a pressure test done to make sure there aren't any leaks around ..
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Raastler Grease Monkey

Note: I ran my last engine without a thermostat, it was fine, i could drive around forever and it wouldnt get hot, also about the fan, it is good, it kept the other engine cool didnt it ? and im driving when it gets hot im not just sitting there. Also ive tried heaps of ways to bleed any excessive air out of the system

Adding to the list,

- Running no thermostat did not make the engine run odd/high temperatures
    - Fan is good
    - Bleeded Air from System.

More ideas people, we must work together to WIN WIN WIN

pressure tested the system? sorry i edited it too late
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Raastler Grease Monkey

Nope :/ How can I do that myself, can i by a tester type thing from queer eye for a super rice auto guy ?

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

shop that sold matt the motor stated compression was good in all 4 "170+ and within 5psi")

the only thing thats been changed on the water setup in the changeover is instead of using a rubber o-ring (original perished) there is now a silicone sealed cork gasket which seals the water pump to the motor. does anyone else think this may be porus enough to allow air in and cause a cavitation problem?
    My fat AW11 poobarge - 4AGZE (retired)

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Raastler Grease Monkey

I didnt order any caviar for the motor...

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adsport
    shop that sold matt the motor stated compression was good in all 4 "170+ and within 5psi")

the only thing thats been changed on the water setup in the changeover is instead of using a rubber o-ring (original perished) there is now a silicone sealed cork gasket which seals the water pump to the motor. does anyone else think this may be porus enough to allow air in and cause a cavitation problem?
    I doubt it, but i do wonder if part of it has broken off and gotten stuck somewhere.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

back into it Chief Engine Builder

By the sound of it its the head gasket or a crack in the head.

There is no reason not to run a thermo stat, the system is design for it, it slows the water down so you get proper cooling you need it in there to restrict the flow.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

What sort of condition is bottom radiator hose in, start the motor and give it a reasonable rev while watch the bottom hose(keeping body parts out of the whizzy bits), if a bit soft they can suck closed as revs build. especialy with no thermostat as flow rates can be very high.

I will join the list of people saying put a thermostat in it although you don't seem to want to the cooling system is designed to run one and cannot function correctly without it.

regards
    jon

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

takai: im thinking that aswell

kingmick: the car has cooled correctly for a lonnng time without a thermostat, its not like he just ripped it out, he only removed the centre so theres a 15-20mm (from memory) hole allowing water through.

jonra23: the bottom hose is an uprated DAYCO high pressure pipe, and the rest that lead from teh engine to the remote thermostat housing are in good condition.

im failing to see , although im not knocking your suggestions ,how a restriction (installing thermostat) will aid in cooling, it only helps regulate temperature by opening/closing so that the engine stays as the correct temperature, without a thermostat by all rights it should overcool, not overheat.
    My fat AW11 poobarge - 4AGZE (retired)

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

erm.. i meant pressure test the cooling system... not a compression test!...

u take that pressure tester, it sits where the radiator cap is.... and pump it... once it builds pressure, see if the pressure drops..then u know u've got a leak .. or water might be pissing out somewhere..

what's the reserve bottle doing ?? getting empty or over-flowing?