Thread: Oil pressure then no oil pressure then oil pressure what the deal?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Oil pressure then no oil pressure then oil pressure what the deal?

I have a 4AGE that has in the last couple of days started playing silly buggers with the oil gauge. The pressure reads above the mid line then drops slightly when driving then returns to normal. It then dropped to a little and I mean a little over L. It then returned to normal then dropped again. This morning it idled fine after two days of no driving, the ndropped within five miuntes of driving to a little above low. I have recently had an oil service and there is plenty of oil in it. I did read in the Gregory's manual that the oilo pump may cause this to happen when faulty, or the oil regulator is stuffed. What is your opinion? Love to know if I am going to end up stranded or have a seized motor in the near future. By the way drove home this afternoon and the bastard satyed at normal the whole 30km home.

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Default Re: Oil pressure then no oil pressure then oil pressure what the deal?

check wire to sensor and then the sensor. then gauge!

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

some people think the oil guages in toyotas arent real good quality so the best way to check it out is to put a proper guage on (not an aftermarket guage like autometer, a workshop guage) and see what happens. may be worth considering that there could be gunk in your sump ocasionally blocking the oil pickup.

Or if the gunk is not blocking the pickup then maybe the sensor. Make sure you check for this and not just teh electrical side of the sensor.

Sorry if that's what you meant kingmick.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

What brand of oil filter was fitted. Some non genuine filters are known to have faulty bypass valves.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

also, unbeknown to me util a while ago now, cheaper oil filters can actually lower oil pressure, and the ability to maintain a constant reading. obviously depends on the material used in the filter...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    What brand of oil filter was fitted. Some non genuine filters are known to have faulty bypass valves.

cheers Chuck.
    Doesnt the filter just contain the anti-drainback valve?? the bypass valve should be part of the oil pump circuit.

Check your sensor first, then start pulling things apart, start with the oil pump, and check your clearances.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Was the oil pressure problem evident, before you had the oil and filter changed? If not then the most likely culprit is the oil filter, a real easy fix, and the first thing I would do. If the problem has persisted for some time, then you will have to look a bit deeper, guage, sender, and then into the oil pump.

o man ra23, yes the good ones contain an anti drain back valve. All filters should contain some form of relief assembly. Most important when the filter becomes blocked, best to keep dirty oil flowing through your engine, than no oil at all.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

another thought, it could be a seal on the oil pump that has failed, and loses pressure, more so when oil is hotter/thinner.
    but would start with new oil filter, as said before before looking at sensor/electrics ect
    did you do the service? what grade oil was put in? could also be to blame. (most likely not, but it is very cheap to change opposed to playing with the oil pump)