Thread: MZ20 A340E behind 1jz VVTI?

Junior Member Grease Monkey JZA20's Avatar

Default MZ20 A340E behind 1jz VVTI?

im about to start my 1jz vvti into my MZ20 conversion, I was planning on using my a340e that was behind my 7mgte as i got rebuilt earlier this year. but then i found this on soarer central...

the VVTi version of the 1jzgte is mated to a different version of the A340E, which like the 1UZFE, and the 2JZGTE, has a solenoid controlled line pressure. So, if you have an auto, you would also need to swap transmissions.

then MOS replied to my other post saying this-

Transmission info is correct. Easiest way to check is to look for the kickdown cable coming off the throttle - the newer autos don't have it.
    You could probably still use your older rebuilt auto but you would need to use an external controller for the older transmission - the factory ecu probably will not run it. (I say probably because there's a low possibility it will control enough, but you're on your own as I haven't heard of anyone trying it).

has anyone done this before cos i dont wanna waste my gearbox , would i be able to use the standard vvti ecu?

any help would greatly be appriciated

cheers josh v

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: MZ20 A340E behind 1jz VVTI?

yes the later one has elec line control but it still has the 1 and 2 shift solonoids like the early a 340 , maybe just leave the line pressure contrl solonoid disconected when using the early box.
    The early box doesnt have the lock up speed sensor as well so that would be disconected as well , Looks like you may be able to do it but it may spit some trouble codes at you.
    D