Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigport 4AGE wiring questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Bigport 4AGE wiring questions

I'm in the middle of wiring a bigport 4AGE up in a oz spec AE86.
    The wiring is pretty much all from a JDM AE86 but the ECU is from a smallport oz spec AE82.
    What we have working so far:
    Alternator
    Starter motor
    Ignition (get a nice beefy spark when turned over!)
    Fuel pump

Having a few problems wiring up the injectors.
    I'm thinking that this yellow wire in this picture (the wire in the middle of the plug)
    is supposed to be connected to the ignition switch. With it connected to power i get the required voltage at the ECU when i check it and the continuity to the injectors checks out to. The voltage measured at the ECU on the injector wires falls off slowly when the ignition is turned off, seems odd but i don't know if it's good or bad.
    This is the ECU side of the plug by the way (JDM end).

And this is the oz side of the plug

Anyways thats as far as i've managed to get. I guess my next course of action is to check the wires from the crank angle sensor to the ECU (2 wires).
    Also i would really like to know what the top wire in these photos is (black and orange wire), it's present on the JDM loom but not on the oz spec loom, do i need it for somthing?
    Also this is the location of the plug in the engine bay by the way, at the back there.
    JDM side to the right of the photo, oz side to the left.

Also one final thing, the ECU plug is OEM on two of the plugs however the plug that connects to interior things like the dash etc has been left off, only the constant power, and the two main relays have been connected on it, am i missing anything there?
    There are a few pins which i'm unsure as to what they do.
    They are:
    Variable resistor (possibly for the fuel pump? i've wired the fuel pump up separately from the OEM setup.
    Fail safe relay.
    Circuit opening relay
    Warning lamp (check engine light?)

Thanks
    Jarich
    Last edited by Nebuchernezzer; 22-07-2006 at 08:22 PM.

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default Re: Bigport 4AGE wiring questions

ok i dont really understand everything your talking about but:
    the loom that runs along the top of the fire wall has wires for the gearbox, oil switch, temp guage and starter solenoid.

what you have done with the last plug on the ecu is exactly what i have done, just connected the three neccesary wires thats all you need.

Ok well it sounds like i have the ECU right, anyone able to help me with getting the injectors going?

dood if your injectors arent going your ecu aint right.

dood if your injectors arent going your ecu aint right.
    Why not?
    Without having gone over the wiring again in detail (which i'm going to do soon) i suspect that the lack of power to the injectors with the igntion on is what is stopping them from going.
    That has nothing to do with the ECU at all.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

ECU grounds the injectors, so make sure the ECU grounds are good.

The other side of the injectors need power from a ign + source. As the wiring is usually old and dodgy I would suggest putting a relay in here.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

when i wired my 4age in, i believe i MAY have had the same problem with a relay in the fuse box not getting power, i removed the relay and bridged the terminal and all was sweet.

Thanks RA28, i have checked the earths but i'll go over them again.
    A relay sounds like a good idea too.

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchernezzer
    I'm in the middle of wiring a bigport 4AGE up in a oz spec AE86.
    The wiring is pretty much all from a JDM AE86 but the ECU is from a smallport oz spec AE82.
    Your ECU looks like a large port unit, even though it's from an AE82.

Having a few problems wiring up the injectors.
    I'm thinking that this yellow wire in this picture (the wire in the middle of the plug) is supposed to be connected to the ignition switch. With it connected to power i get the required voltage at the ECU when i check it and the continuity to the injectors checks out to.
    Also i would really like to know what the top wire in these photos is (black and orange wire), it's present on the JDM loom but not on the oz spec loom, do i need it for somthing?
    The Black Orange wire is usually the power supply to the Injectors and Igniter/coil. In the AE86 JDM setup there is a relay inside the cabin between the yellow and black orange of that plug. I can't remember which one of these goes where but you should be able to work that out.

If the yellow wire connects directly to one pin on the injector then black/orange is likely to connect to the ignition switch and the relay goes in between.
    Also, if the black/orange goes to the ignitor/coil then it's a confirmation it's the ignition switch output.

If the two above are correct then it's not inappropriate to connect the yellow and black/orange together, and power them from the ignition swith or a relay running off the battery. In mine (many moons ago) I hooked up the 4AGE black/orange near the ignitor/coil from the 4AC coil supply near the fusebox (also black/orange).

The voltage measured at the ECU on the injector wires falls off slowly when the ignition is turned off, seems odd but i don't know if it's good or bad.
    This is normal - there is a bunch of capacitors inside the ECU and on the injector output that causes the slow voltage drop - nothing to be worried about.

Anyways thats as far as i've managed to get. I guess my next course of action is to check the wires from the crank angle sensor to the ECU (2 wires).
    If you are getting spark then the sensor is not a problem. You can test spark by powering everything up, undoing the bolt on the dissy that sets the timing, and turning the dissy back and forth - every time the rotor passes the pickup it should generate a spark. Of course if you haven't hooked up power to the ignitor/coil this won't work

Also one final thing, the ECU plug is OEM on two of the plugs however the plug that connects to interior things like the dash etc has been left off, only the constant power, and the two main relays have been connected on it, am i missing anything there?
    In addition to the pins below, there should also be a stop light input and possibly an electrical load sense pin, an A/C load pin, a starter signal input, and possibly others (keep in mind this is from memory and I haven't looked at the diagrams for a few years). It will run without those, but if you can hook it up properly (in isolated cases an ECU will run without the power supply too - does not mean they shouldn't be hooked up...)
    What do you mean by two mains relays?
    BTW, I'm sorry but I must say it - hooking up individual pins like that is fn dodgy. Find the right plug! If you ever need to pull any of that out you will need to know exactly which pin each wire goes to. (I've had my fair share of "Mos, can you come around? I accidently pulled all the pins out of the plug" on engines I didn't wire up... argh!) I might have some spares - where are you located?

There are a few pins which i'm unsure as to what they do.
    They are:
    Variable resistor (possibly for the fuel pump? i've wired the fuel pump up separately from the OEM setup.
    This is, IIRC, for idle mixture adjustement. Never hooked that up and no one that I knew with a JDM 4AGE in their AE86 had one either.

Fail safe relay.
    Not sure what this one is, but it could be the additional relay in the cabin between the yellow and black/orange.

Circuit opening relay
    This runs the fuel pump. The circuit opening relay has five pins. Two pins are for the priming function (starter wire and ground). One wire is the supply from the EFI relay (wire from fusebox to cabin not installed on the 4AC model), another the output to the fuel pump, with the last pin being the FC pin running to the third plug on the ECU.

Warning lamp (check engine light?)
    Yep.

To add a few things - it's better to install a starter relay as opposed to running the factory starting setup. You will increase the life of the ignition switch and it will help if you ever have a weak battery.
    Hook up the power supply to the ignitor/coil and injectors through a relay for the same reasons as above.

HTH.
    Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Good effort Mos. Bit of work in your post mate, well said.

Indeed thanks heaps champ, very helpfull post
    Your ECU looks like a large port unit, even though it's from an AE82.
    This is true, my bad.
    I'll let everyone know how i go with it this weekend.
    Jarich

damn needing to spread the love before repping mos again

Hey again, i've had another shot at wiring the thing up.
    I got a page of what needs to be wired and up whatnot from club 4ag and i've been going over it.
    The only extra thing i have done to the loom is to wire the yellow and the orange/black wires in the loom to the EFI main relay, this gave me power in places where i should have it (like the injectors) but the car still doesn't run and the injectors don't fire.
    One thing i thought was odd is that the injectors have 12V on both pins when the car is in the 'run' position. Wierd i thought.
    So far i have checked almost all the required pins on the ECU plug (according the the club 4ag page). This is exactly what i know, is there anything i should be checking in the engine bay because as far as i can tell everything at the ECU is peachy.
    I'm using an uncut engine loom as well, just plugged everything in where it fitted.
    10 pin socket:
    ECU earth ok
    Fuel injector trigger signal ok
    Starter solenoid ok
    Ignitor ok
    Power feed from run position ok

18 pin socket:
    Distributor ok
    Intake manifold temp not checked
    MAP sensor ok
    Water temp not checked
    TVIS not checked
    TPS ok

14 pin socket:
    Batt power ok
    Run power ok

Any further help would be great
    Thanks
    Jarich

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jonra23's Avatar

You will get 12v at both sides of injectors with key on, as JoelRA28 said they are fed constant power and the ECU switches the earth so that is not the problem.

When you say injectors wont fire is it that they don't click or that they dont put out fuel?

regards
    jon

I can't hear them click although i havn't checked if they fire fuel.
    It doesn't fire or try to fire, and it does have spark so i assumed they are not working in any way at all.
    Just another thing that was mentioned to me, apparently there is a resistor pack for the injectors, i'm unaware of one in my car however.
    Also i'm told there could be a plug in fuse in the injector loom but i've been unable to locate them as well.