Thread: Supercharge a 2.2 4y (na) motor or engine swap

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Post Supercharge a 2.2 4y (na) motor or engine swap

Hi I have a toyota Hilux (1991) with the original 2.2 motor (almost 300000K's) I am looking at a swap or rebuild and supercharge, and have a couple of question's. I searched the arcives and came up with more question's. Sorry for the long post but hope to ask everything in one go.

Just for your info
    1) I am no longer a horsepower hero (had a 450 HP evo 2 (daily driven in NZ) and sold it court ordered caught 4 times over 200K Aust driver's licence handed over)
    2) I have a carb motor at present and run 32 inch tyres.
    3) all I want is a little better on open road acceleration and torque when required.
    4) I use it in river's and as an every day driver (I have a Yamaha R1 for speed and ticket's until I have to sell it Aust driver's licence again).

The idea of a supercharger is because it is a little pipework a belt and a couple of pulley's thing's that I can do and won't stress the drive train too much the thing's I need to know is:

1) suck through the carb or blow through? ie where to put the carb before or after?
    2) convert to EFI first
    3) Convert to turbo diesel or a more modern petrol (sell it and buy a newer one)
    4) Water injection for low speed?
    5) how to trigger the water injection or continuous?
    6) I like the double cab and it is relyable so don't want to sell it and get something newer also it would mean I sell the bike
    7) How long does the 4y go before it need's work I thought it was going to die at 250 (just after I got it)

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharge a 2.2 4y (na) motor or engine swap

I have looked a little at the 4Y (currently doing a 3Y -> 4YE swap) and from what I have heard, the EFI system makes a huge difference. So firstly I highly recommend getting a replacement EFI engine (since yours is pretty long in the tooth). Otherwise you can just add the injection gear onto your motor.

Supercharging it would be a bit of a pain. It requires a fair bit of messing around. Plus I am very dubious about forced induction and carbies and even if you went EFI, I'm not sure how the stock computer would cope.

If you want a project, go to town and throw a new 2.7l 4cyl Hilux engine in, but if you just want a bit more I suggest a 4Y-E with possibly some mild work (exhaust, cam, porting).

Hen

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Supercharge a 2.2 4y (na) motor or engine swap

The 1UZ V8 into Hilux swap is getting pretty popular these days. I reckon it would be a more sensible option than playing silly buggers with a 300k old 4Y, and the results would likely be better as well.