Thread: 1uz overheating

works burger 1st year Apprentice

Default 1uz overheating

hey guys the short story is my nugget is getting hot..
    now i have changed
    the
    thermostat
    radiator
    waterpump
    header tank
    and is still getting hot the only way i can avoid it is by using my old thermostat that i thouhgt was no good and jam a bit of tube in it to open it right up so coolant flows as it wont open it can't be a faulty new thermostat cause i have tested it in a sauce pan on a stove and it opens right up like it should. the only thing is i think it may have an air lock but that doesn't seem convince me cause it overheated all of a sudden with nothing changed.

any decent ideas moreso with a back up reason would be great unless some1 has a help me toyota good juist this once card

oh yeah i've had the car for 5 yrs not a problem at all n 50000kms
    brad

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia JoJo's Avatar

Default Re: 1uz overheating

is it in a celsior, soarer, crown?

You didn't mention the fan. Celsiors have a hydrolic fan which take fluid. I dont know about the soarers Are then fan/s working?

Does it get hot with NO thermostat?

Does it actually show psyical signs of overheating or does it just read high on the gauge?

Why I say that is that my celsior has a faulty temp gauge. It fluctuates randomly and often sits on max. But it will give you a real reading as it will sometime sit it the correct temp position before going random again. I changed my temp sender but it still does it and it is actually a electrical problem with the gauge in the dash. The motor never actually gets hot.
    Could yours be simular to this?

J
    CURRENT CARS: AE86-SR20DET, MX22-2M, JZS147-2JZGTE, AE86-4AGE , AE71 Panelvan-4AGTE, Peugeot 504- XN1

Powered By Żywiec Backyard Mechanic Adash=P's Avatar

I've seen this before and it turned out to be one of the temp sensors, forgot which one it was though.

They each have a certain resistance and if its not to the factory specs, it will give a false reading.
    AE93 SX - Thrasher 20V
    JZX100 Chaser - Daily 1J lovin

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

If the engine is physically getting hot, I would look at the O2 sensors. A faulty sensor will incorrectly advise the the ECU that the engine is rich, the ECU then leans off the mixture.

To properly bleed these engines of air in the coolant system, cut the ass end out of a 2 litre coke bottle, upend the bottle in your resevoir, and fill half to two thirds with water, start engine and let it get to operating temp. Monitor the bottle for air bubbles and top up as required, when finished let the engine cool down and adjust the coolant level in the resevoir with a big syringe. A battery "Hygrometer" works well.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

celcior
    yeah well the motor is overheating as hand on top hose feels hot bottom hose cold readiator is cold and i have a funnel that screws onto the filler neck of most radiator types. plus it is lacking power when hot i didn't wanna mention that i am a mechanic just thought maybe some1 had a similar drama as we have had a couple of us that have had a look but cant figure it out.

brad

User Conversion King

stick your infrared gun on the alloy inlet and outlet pipes and see what temps you get.

im just saying this because my celsior temp gauge flicks up and down randomly....the engine isnt hot though
    hello

Junior Member Grease Monkey

double check that the new thermostat is working

just because its new dosn't mean it could be faulty.

i had a corolla at work that was overheating and just had the water pump and thermostat replaced by another toyota dealer pulled the thermostat out and tested it and found that it was stuck shut

yeah bugger it i'll just throw another thermostse in it $18 worth it to make sure

i had a relaxing weekend away from cars so i got some patience back to use on it again.

brad

Junior Member Grease Monkey

is it a genuine or aftermarket thermostat?

$18 for the genuine, toyota prices are rediculously cheap for some reason now i priced an aftermarket just to see after i got the toyota one and it was $15 for the After market one

brad

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia JoJo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    im just saying this because my celsior temp gauge flicks up and down randomly....the engine isnt hot though
    Sounds like we have the same problem....
    CURRENT CARS: AE86-SR20DET, MX22-2M, JZS147-2JZGTE, AE86-4AGE , AE71 Panelvan-4AGTE, Peugeot 504- XN1

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo
    Sounds like we have the same problem....
    interesting....

if i can ever find a spare hour ill pull the cluster out and go through it with the manual supplement i have.
    hello