Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Turbos .... ANY GOOD ????

Forum Member

Default Chinese Turbos .... ANY GOOD ????

Friend of mine is suggesting on replacing his existing turbo ( which is now blown ) with a brand new chinese turbo . He says they are cheap . I think hes crazy . Any thoughts out there ?

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Default Re: Chinese Turbos .... ANY GOOD ????

seen a KKR 330 on a CA18DET with ebay manifold and external gate push 180rwKw. Smooth dyno curve, strong torque.

now been 6months and only problem was a crack on the wastegate flange (which was our fault) because out screemer pipe rattled on the body work. Screemer was remade and now it's perfect.

However people still using the internal gates on these chinese turbos are having problems.

Jordan
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

my own opinion is to stay away.....i have read WAY to many articles on forums about them dying very quickly.....

for a new chinese turbo they are round $600..... 4 a little more you can get an original 2nd hand and in good cond.....

i dont know what turbo your talking bout but i picked up my GT3071r for $700 adn had only been used to 3 months and was still under warranty with the reciept....it's good as new....

blake

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

The KKR turbos seem to be getting a good rap, if/when I go about upgrading my turbo i'll probably be getting one myself.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

Im pretty sure the KKR turbos come with a 12 month warranty opposed to the 6 months for the Garret stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by river
    there's many a time where someone needs just a -ve tickle and not a baseball bat

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic SIKTOY's Avatar

The pirce is sooo chep
    and there supplied by our sponsor otomoto
    reputation is nothing knowledge is everything
    RA23 1GGTE 12.3@110mph
    1980 RA40 now getting a 1G with new picsLOOK
    Don't argue with an IDIOT.He will bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience!

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

I have a Korean Hypergear TR44 turbo. Comes with 12 month/ 30000km warranty. It is near identical spec to a GT3076R (57mm comp inducer) minus the ball bearing centre. Comes internally gated but I am using external gate. Haven't had it dynoed or 1/4 miled since (but have tried) but it doesn't seem to be down on power at the same boost as my old turbo (HKS ta45s 62mm comp inducer)

So far it is going well. This turbo has made 260rwkw on an RB25 at 16psi. I am hoping for similar to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Basing your judgement on the country of manufacture is a little narrow minded. Some crap comes out of China, but also a lot of good quality stuff does too.

I've only heard good reports on KKR turbos and they are out of China. They just maintain good quality control.

So investigate each brand/model, don't just lump it together as "Chinese"

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

If the manufacturing machinery, quality control and materials are identical in two countries then in theory the end product should be very similar.

Someone does a shit job in an assembly line/manufacturing process in Aus or the US probably not much will happen to them if anything at all.

Someone does a shit job in China in a factory and they will get shot by a firing squad or run over by a tank

My friends Hilux has a KKR turbo on it and it's a daily driven work ute - not one problem in over the year he has had it.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Dreamer Backyard Mechanic millsi's Avatar

kkr=good
    xs power=bad

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

kkr do produce good turbos & they have a few cars with them on with results etc..
    same goes with the hypergear turbos..
    very good for their moneys worth to be honest..
    next turbo on the list for me would be a tr28kai (hypergear turbo) and run a ext gate off it.
    wouldnt want to use the int gate as said above that too many ppl have problems with it holding boost.
    i have a white celica ST162 and it is very fast.

CROSSPLANE CRANK! Domestic Engineer Merudo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whyte
    kkr do produce good turbos & they have a few cars with them on with results etc..

I've heard similar good things, no direct experience with either, though.

Heard the same thing about the internal gates too, and the recommendation to run an external gate.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Someone does a shit job in China in a factory and they will get shot by a firing squad or run over by a tank
    Some of their factory workers only get paid 500 yuan a month, which is like 82 bucks aus. If they do a bad job they get fired without pay. They usually don't pay them for the first 3 months they work, so if they fuck up then they are gone without pay. It would be too costly to shoot them and absolutely luxurious to run them over in a chinese or russian tank. There is another 1.3+ billion who can replace them.
    Toyota Corolla Conquest 2003 black manual 1ZZ-FE - Daily
    Toyota Soarer GT-TL 1991 white auto 1JZ-GTE - [email protected] 1.587 60'

My JZZ30 SOARER

Junior Member Conversion King deviant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whyte
    very good for their moneys worth to be honest..
    next turbo on the list for me would be a tr28kai (hypergear turbo) and run a ext gate off it.
    wouldnt want to use the int gate as said above that too many ppl have problems with it holding boost.
    Wouldnt it be better to buy something that does its job properly in the first place though?

Quote Originally Posted by jampac
    Some of their factory workers only get paid 500 yuan a month, which is like 82 bucks aus. If they do a bad job they get fired without pay. They usually don't pay them for the first 3 months they work, so if they fuck up then they are gone without pay. It would be too costly to shoot them and absolutely luxurious to run them over in a chinese or russian tank. There is another 1.3+ billion who can replace them.
    Everytime I buy something that has made in China written on it I kinda feel all 'flicted...

If I didnt buy it then millions of people would be out of jobs...
    But if I do buy it I am supporting a factory that makes people work a 27hour shift and then charge them for electricity...

I still think the latter is better though...imagine the state the country would be in if no-one had jobs...
    Quote Originally Posted by S2K
    Would a VTEC limiter be a helpful device?

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

youd think so, but when you dont want to spend the money on products that have been around for years and proven them selves time and time again, you cant have it all for half the price, has anyone got one of these on there car running decent boost not 10 psi but 20psi and upwards?
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940