Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4age cooling system problems

Raastler Grease Monkey

Default Re: 4age cooling system problems

Thanks everyone for there eager responses, i'll try the thermostat and check the pump etc aswell, lets all cross our fingers and pray to the motor gods to fix this little 16v donkie.

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

Not running a thermostat will have factory efi motors running in the FAT part of the cold enrichment fuel map, good if you like buying petrol. Bad for cylinder walls and cat convertors.

They are designed to run 80-82 degrees, and if you aren't running a radically modified 4age, the crappy looking plastic tanked paint peeling from it radiator will do the job. My 4agze is happy as with the standard radiator and a tridon thermostat. Melbourne is cold and we need the heat.

You got the water pipes going the right way? I guess it makes no difference if you aren't running a thermostat tho. Or does it?

Does it make good power?

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

Junior Member Grease Monkey progkamol's Avatar

Hi there,

I don't really know much but just to add on from what I have seen in my car. I have an AE82 Twincam that have 100KW 4-AGE in it. I have been driving without thermostat aswell for more than a year already with out any problem (except for blown engine recently). During summer last year (in 2005) My car overheat alot and it is very unusual since it never been overheated before. At that time my car was just serviced at 3100km ago and also have radiator flushed and pretty sure that the water pump is in a good condition.

After working it out with my friend's dad at Repco servicing workshop we've found out that the fan did not turn on. I see in your case you did mentioned that your fan is working fine. Well, so did mine BUT, what we have found out is that turning the car on from cold and let it runs to warm up the fan will turn on after engine gets hot. When we took it for a drive we then see the temp rising over 3/4 after a while. We returned to the workshop and pop the bonnet and found out that the fan is off in such a high temp. After we have a ciggarette my friend's dad pulled out a plug (or sensor?) out from it position above the gear box (its a round head type with something like a square pin in the middle) ... As soon as he pulled it out the fan turned on ... also as soon as he put it back in the fan turns off ... So since then I have been driving with that thing off all the time and no more overheating.

In your case, all I can say is give it a go on what I said. Might not be much help but atleast try. Let me know what happen.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by progkamol
    Hi there,
    I have been driving without thermostat aswell for more than a year already with out any problem (except for blown engine recently).
    nuff said

i think what he's trying to say is to plug out the fan's trigger sensor and let the fan run all the time to see if it is the fan that's failing.. ?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Yeah ... thanks for make it more simple ... its the weather that makes me blur ... started storm since morning and blow my rubbish bin down and I have to flip it up in the rain and this and that makes me dizzy ... ... thanks anyway ... and yeah try that see if its works

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by progkamol
    Yeah ... thanks for make it more simple ... its the weather that makes me blur ... started storm since morning and blow my rubbish bin down and I have to flip it up in the rain and this and that makes me dizzy ... ... thanks anyway ... and yeah try that see if its works
    this came up in my email and i pissed myself laughing with a big WTF! hahahahahaha

So it was a good relaxing moment for you right? ....

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

c2888: its not on factory management, so thats of no concern. ECU readout reads 85-86 deg at cruising, idling at lights it might ramp up slightly a few degrees but gets washed off by the fan , or if you start driving.

the motor makes in excess of 160hp atw , feel good to drive its nice and smooth

i put a crappy tridon thermostat in it this arvo and did about 40 min of "test" driving (i.e. getting on the brake and doing donuts, accidentally did a slide thru an intersection) and it stayed between 83-87 deg... fine for now but lets see what happens at next drift meet.

BTW : i did have matt's consent to "test" it
    My fat AW11 poobarge - 4AGZE (retired)

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

Sounds like mattys gonna be a happy boy.
    You got the factory undertray on the car?
    Also the daggy piece of foam around the radiator, is it there?
    If everything is there and the system is up to scratch it should cool it.

The only decent motor that i've seen push the ae86 rad was a big rpm rally car with all the goodies. The fins on the core had seen better days, but removing the front number plate and wiper jets pointed at the rad let him finish the rally.

Dan
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

yeha its got that dumb tray thing, its got a twin core radiator in there now from an auto AE71 (formerly my blue turbo corolla where most of matts parts have come from)

cheers for the suggestions everyone

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, my auto AE71 remanufactured rad copes admirably even with the race engine. Keeps it at about 80* even at Mallala.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

good to hear it's all sorted out...

come the next drift event.. if there are any dramas .. just get a thermostat that opens up earlier... otherwise take it out.. then after the drift put it back in..

but IMO the engine will cop it bad without a thermostat at a drift event... then again i have been proven wrong so we'll see
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

maybe it was not such a good idea to run 100% toyota red without mixing in some water

Quote Originally Posted by ae95
    maybe it was not such a good idea to run 100% toyota red without mixing in some water
    where's YLD when u need him to quote this?

one of the old school tricks of "keeping it cool" is to run a higher mix of water to coolant to keep engine cool at the cost of corroding the head.. but ideally you should follow the directions on the bottle with regards to mixture..

haha Ian (ae95) you dumbass

My Corolla ! - 4AGTE

KP61 - 4AGE

Raastler Grease Monkey

The problem is still there guys, It was fine for awhile drove it to work today, was fine, but on the way home started getting hot, then it overheated almost, got home just intime.

Cracked or warped head or gasket creep. as ill say again!
    you pump cant be that gone without noticing etc go

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adsport
    cooling systems does not pressurise at all. overflow bottle has not gained/lost any fluid. coolant is bright green with no bubbles/gasses/frothing
    am i the only person that has seen this, and is pretty much certain that this is either the cause of the problem, or a product of it?!

you sure you rad cap isnt bung matt?

Eldar.O.

No one is that silly

Raastler Grease Monkey

rad cap isnt bunged.