Thread: 1uz standalone ecu options?

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

Default 1uz standalone ecu options?

Looking for an ecu to run the 1uz im droppin in my ra28. Not lookin to spend big money
    It came with no loom and comp so no piggyback and I wanna delete afm also. It not gunna get big mods or my gearbox will die so just needs to cover the basics. Any suggestions

loves hi RPMS Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1uz standalone ecu options?

Vipec v88 or adaptronic e420c.
    Both have used to run 1uz's, should be around $1200?ish? (Happy to be corrected)
    Last edited by xero; 22-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    N/A for life...

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Adaptronic e420c can run it also, cheapish too if you can find one second hand
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

If u r running manual box then most will work
    Just speak to your tuner what he like
    No use going tight ass average ecu when your tuner doesn't like them
    Have adaptronic sorted their software out, needed a degree to use it

Vipec and link are not cheap any more but look at home much money u might save over five years
    By buying a ecu now
    Otherwise get a full loom and ecu from splittronics I think, they have cheaper labour than us over there so it's half what u pay over here hehehe

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Adaptronic software is very straightforward and easy to use now. As above, if you cant install/tune yourself then you should just pick whatever your tuner is most comfortable with.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    Adaptronic software is very straightforward and easy to use now. As above, if you cant install/tune yourself then you should just pick whatever your tuner is most comfortable with.
    Or go to a different/better tuner.................... If someone told me they didn't/wouldn't tune an Adaptronic, I'd laugh at them and leave.
    The Adaptronic upgrades of the last year or so are excellent.
    Second hand E420c for the bargain.
    But keep in mind extra costs like a 2 meter wiring loom (there's $100 plus), plugs for your sensors, pins (and their little boots), ignition module(s), MAP sensor, loom tube, heat shrink, relays, fuses................... It all adds up, especially if you want to do a decent job that is reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Cheers for the advice guys ill do some more googling and take a trip to a tuner. It is a manual so no need for auto ecu.
    I liked the sound of adaptronic 420c I seen 1 here for 600 but I think it sold.
    Ninja edit: its not vvti so 1 less thing to worry about

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

megasquirt with the ms3x expansion board will run the v8 in full sequential fuel and spark with enough spare i/o to run a small cappuccino machine for $500 if you assemble it yourself or just under 700 pre assembled. pretty good value and the hardware and software features are unreal. they are a pretty highly spec'd ecu these days.
    there is a bit of a learning curve, you will have to do a bit of research but there is heaps of info out there.
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Done a bit of reading on the 420c. It didnt look like it had enough outputs to be run full sequential is this correct ill be happy to be corrected if not

420c only has four injector drivers and two ignition outputs so it can't run a 8 cylinder full sequential.

To do that you'd need a more expensive ecu. (With 8 injector outputs and 8 ignition outputs, you will also need to rewire the 1uz because it's only wired as semi seq injection and uses two ignition outputs since it uses a distributor)
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

That perfectly answered what I was wondering thanks for the info

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by RA35GT View Post
    420c only has four injector drivers and two ignition outputs so it can't run a 8 cylinder full sequential.

To do that you'd need a more expensive ecu. (With 8 injector outputs and 8 ignition outputs, you will also need to rewire the 1uz because it's only wired as semi seq injection and uses two ignition outputs since it uses a distributor)
    You're right about only 4 injector drivers, but the E420c has upto 4 ignition channels. Ign3 is configured to be the tacho driver, in standard form. And Ign4 uses Aux1. So an E420c can run a V8 in waste spark and paired injectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

you're right, not as standard though and even then some of the e420c's require mods to be able to have that fourth ign output. (Probably only the earlier ones though that we had)

I forgot about that.

Had a quick squiz at the ms3x that looks the goods 8 inj outputs and 8 ign outputs plus anything else I could possibly want