Thread: Torsen Diff

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

Default Torsen Diff

Hey all, I have a hilux/hiace diff in the car and had Monty put a Torsen centre together for me. I put the centre in, axles, original drum brakes etc. the car is up on stands, but when I turn the driveshaft the passenger wheel turns by itself, no dramas I am thinking but when I try to turn the drivers side the wheel locks up and I cant turn it, any ideas whats up? I backed the brakes off so they are not the problem,,,,,,,,,,,

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Torsen Diff

As far as I know a type 2 torsen will fail the traditional jack and spin lsd test. It will behave like an open centre, that's what mine does. I don't know if yours is type two or type one or if type one behaves differently, there is a good webpage that explains a lot about them if you google it...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jondee86's Avatar

Question Re: Torsen Diff

Pretty much all the cutaway pics you see of Torsen diffs show them as having gears only. So, as said above, they will behave like an open diff when both wheels are off the ground. That means if the gearbox is in neutral, you should be able to spin the pinion and both axles in either direction. If it locks up "hard" there will be something wedged in it, and if it locks up "soft" there will be something out of alignment, bent or over-tightened.

I'd start by pulling the driver's side axle, and see if it comes free when you start loosening bolts.

Cheers... jondee86