Thread: High revs kills alternators?

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

Default High revs kills alternators?

In my car I have had one 4age 20V silvertop engine after another with all sharing the same 8600 rev cut which they used to see pretty often. When I got around to taking apart a bad alternator I had I found that instead of the usual bad brushes or regulator the windings in the armature itself has burned through in one section.

Now for quite a long time I ran only a lowly 30A fuse on the output so it wasn't even being used to half it's rated capacity. Also it has a decent gap from the extractors so it shouldn't get too hot. The bearings where in good condition still.

Could the extended high revs cause such a thing? Too much induced voltage causing insulation break down? I calculated that at peak revs it's spinning at 20,000! Doesn't seem to be likely explanation to me, so perhaps just long term use/fatigue?

Luckily for me I found the spare 7AFE alternator I had laying around had the same internals.

loves hi RPMS Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: High revs kills alternators?

no idea sam, but ive had the same alternator for must getting on 6 years now. for the last 3 its been seeing 9000+rpm regularly with no issues. only difference between mine and yours is i have a larger pulley on the alternator which would slow it down some. been through 5 starter motors though...
    i can take i a pic if you want.
    N/A for life...

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

well alternators only handle up to 20k rpm, anything higher would probably burn the regulators/rectifier out. Chuck a bigger pulley and see how that goes, yes it will go slower but wont make a difference to output.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Yes if the bearings were failing that says one thing, but if the electronics are what fails then Id say this sounds like a great plan.

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Alternator is charging at its optimum from about 2,500 engine rpm, so slowing it down won't hurt it. My 4AGE group A runs a 100mm crank pulley which drives a 100mm alternator pulley (1:1) and it revs to 9,200 before engine cut kicks in.

I have seen armatures falling apart with centrifugal forces and heat self destructing within themselves. Brushes and bearings just aren't up to continuous high revs either.
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

What's a centimeterand/or milligram of their wire weigh if ya wanna run them at 10 > 20 thousand RPM?
    A kilogram or close on that little wire?
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

I was planning on making an oversized alternator pulley that was about double the size, I was curious about this though.

xero: what kills those starters? any idea? do you have solid engine mounts?

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

his headers sit right up next to the starter. probably doesnt help..
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

If that's the case I might have a solution for that real soon. I am working on a drop in 1.2kw gear reduction starter that fits right up to a T50 and sits closer to a 4A / 7A than any OEM option. Well I hope it works out as I want one for my own car!

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good size of alternator pulley to go for? if double good? As I said earlier I have very little load but it would still be a road going car. Just curious is there a power difference slowing down an alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Q View Post
    If that's the case I might have a solution for that real soon. I am working on a drop in 1.2kw gear reduction starter that fits right up to a T50 and sits closer to a 4A / 7A than any OEM option. Well I hope it works out as I want one for my own car!

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good size of alternator pulley to go for? if double good? As I said earlier I have very little load but it would still be a road going car. Just curious is there a power difference slowing down an alternator?
    yeah he's seen your facebook posts on it
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

As long as the alternator puts out enough volts/amps at idle, it's enough.
    I tried running the alternator at a little below engine speed on my last 4AG and it was just enough to keep on top of the power demand at the 1050 rpm idle with all the lights, fans, etc, on.

www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

loves hi RPMS Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    his headers sit right up next to the starter. probably doesnt help..

that and compression.
    ill send you a PM Sam.
    N/A for life...

T3 do underdrive pulleys.