Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1G-GTE turbo comparisons, best options for HP aims

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default 1G-GTE turbo comparisons, best options for HP aims

Hey guys,

I know this has been done to death, and I have been trawling the old threads getting what information I can.

The thread I am looking for, I cannot find, I think just about everyone on here from around the time when kyle was running his wagon had a bit to say in the thread, but I cannot find it!
    Someone may recall the name and be able to churn it up, there was a post in that thread that basically listed turbos in increasing size, where they would make boost and what sort of power they would manage.

Now obviously tech has changed a little in this time and there are a couple of new options in brands and different offering from garrett etc etc

The reason for my research is it has finally come time for me to buy a turbo to start down the road of getting the project on the dyno (Cage nearly finished, moving straight into exhaust and cooler, need turbo to do exhaust...)

basically.

A, I want as much drivability as possible (the missus wants to daily drive, but I am not sold on this idea)
    B, I want to run a 10
    C, it will run on E85
    D, I am thinking 300rwkw would be a good figure to aim for, but still keep as much bottom end as possible.
    E, Matty Spry from PITS will be tuning it

so, I know a few people have been down this road, but not sure who did it on E85, and who has experience with the newer turbos?
    I dont even care if its not a garrett, I run a TD04 18G on my patrol ute and that turbo has been through hell and back and survived and performed well, so its all up in the air.
    if someone has that link it would be great to move this discussion across to that thread, or feel free to bring your expertise to the table here

Cheers, Andy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Default Re: 1G-GTE turbo comparisons, best options for HP aims

New version of the gt35r, the GTX one, with a .82 rear Id say would be your best bet.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Thanks mate,

Text Kyle today, his thoughts are 3076 will get me there.

I am going to call tomorrow and get further info, then maybe badger garrett about it.

Please keep info and opinions coming.

Cheers, Andy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Personally I think if you want as much bottom end as possible you wont achieve your 300rwkw, which also in my eyes is a fair ask out of a 1GGTE ..

if it doesnt quite tip 300 I wont be all that upset, 272 cams, E85 and 2.25L should get me there though I think, plus a light car and drivetrain.

chasing as much area under the curve as I can, while maintaining the high HP numbers, I know it drive like my truck does, or even be as nice as the old setup, but feck me it will go better haha

yeh a gtx3076 will get you 300kw esp if your running e85.

ill see if I can grab this dudes dyno sheet of a 3sgte with the gtx3076. was over 300kw on e85.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

From memory it is possible to get a split pulse rear housing adapted to suit the GT30 as well, which could help the bottom end some. What's the bore / stroke of your setup to get 2.5L? With that many cubes I can't see it being a massive problem.
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic hypo23's Avatar

Im running a split 3076 on mine for around 260kw I'm limited to pump 98 though, i think its very achievable especially on e85 with a bit more boost, and it should also give you an easy enough 10sec et.
    cheers steve,

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case..................coincidence?

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

Jonathon, thanks very much for that, is that the split rear housing or not?
    Very peaky curve, especially the torque, holds power pretty well though, if it was coming on that late I would want to run it another 1000rpm to give some room to play with gear changes (have I been driving a big diesel too long? lol)

boxh34d, 2.25 L, not 2.5. 2.5 would be nice, but never gonna happen, cant remember stroke off top of my head, 78/79 somewhere around there, and bore will be similar. 75 x 75 standard, I think the HKS gasket is 79 and you can get an 81mm one, but there isnt much metal left at 81mm. will cross that bridge when I order pistons for the motor.
    I will talk to Kyle about the split rear. thanks for the heads up.

hypo, thanks very much for the info. do you have a graph of yours? How much work have you done to yours and what boost etc etc etc?

Cheers, Andy

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

hypo is your 122mph with 260kw ?
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Yes that correct 122mph with 350hp, which equates to around 260kw.

Ive attached below a couple of dyno sheets, one from the last dyne day at SAS, and an old sheet from my tuner at Blacktrack.

The car is now tuned at 350hp, on around 20-21psi on pump98.

Not really much work done to mine, I've done the oil gallery mods that Kyle recommends, a set of head studs, forged pistons and rings, running an OEM head gasket, new bearings throughout obviously, the head has just had a clean up, HKS cast log manifold, Microtech MTX8, 7m injectors, its all pretty simple really.
    I blew 3 motors in the early days, and it was thought at the time the cylinders were getting uneven air flow, so I've also had the intake plenum power ported, results for this is in the old forums somewhere.

cheers steve,

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

Holy dam !! Thats alot of mph for that power.

You running 3.7/3.9:1 final ?
    What tq is it making ?
    Sorry to go off topic.
    Last edited by fixeruperer; 24-07-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I started off with a final drive of 4.3:1, and a small 205x50x15 mt ET radial tyre, and the mph i could get was 116mph.

Ive now upped the tyre size to a 235x60x15 mt ET radial tyre, and changed the final drive to 3.9:1 and mph jumped up to 122mph.

Ill get a pic of the timeslip and post it up later.
    cheers steve,

1ggte, 11.22 @122mph

ah gotchya, no worries.
    the last time i went to the drags i had around 345hp. and the best i could get was 110mph albeit i had the worst half track in the world with 1st-2nd synchro not meshing and 3sec 60 foot and a tonne of lag once i got it into 2nd.

that was with 4.3:1 ratio and w58 (our cars would weigh roughly the same (ae86))
    now i have 385+hp and was thinking of throwing in some 3.7 or 3.9's.

dont have to show timeslip, i believe ya.

thanx man.