Thread: How-to: Converting an MR2 gearbox to FWD (SW20 to ST162)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

Post How-to: Converting an MR2 gearbox to FWD (SW20 to ST162)

Those with knowledge of the 3S-GE platform will know that 1986-1999 Celica's and 1989-1999 MR2's share very similar powertrain packages. Toyota had more than one application for many of their components. Even though the blocks were mounted in different ends of the car, casting and mounting points remained largely identical. As well as sharing the same 2.0 4ycl motor family, they shared variants of the same gearbox.

Driving in the same direction, sharing the same spline drive shafts, using similar interfaces to the car's sensors, securing to the car on the same engine mount - the engines are almost identical.* In much of the world, the only front wheel drive Celica sold with the 3S-GE platform was the ST162, running 1985-1989. The S53 gearbox available in the car was a five-speed manual transmission with close ratios.

After the ST162 platform, the descendants of the S53 became known as the S54 gearbox. One of the more prominent revisions was the re-positioned starter motor on the intake side of the engine, rather than the exhaust side. Domestically, relatives of this gearbox were used in lower spec 3S-FE Celica's, Camry's and Celica's right through until 1999.

As the ST182 and ST202 3S-GE front wheel drive Celica's were never sold here in Australia, we do not have an abundant amount of replacement gearboxes for our ST162's. Good condition Celica gearboxes are priced at a premium and economy-geared Camry gearboxes may not suit 3S-GE applications, offering a more sedate cruising ratio at the expense of acceleration.

Toyota's naturally aspirated MR2 SW20, sold in Australia for nearly a decade, also utilized a 3S-GE engine, as well as the more lively gearbox ratios available in the 3S-GE Celica. The MR2 S54 may seem like an unlikely candidate for swapping into a front wheel drive Celica, but the relative lack of demand for these makes them a cheaper alternative to the similarly ratioed front wheel drive relatives.

After blowing my 3S-GE, I began a low-cost engine swap, sourced from an SW20 MR2. To compliment the second generation 3S-GE platform, with its larger flywheel and requirement for an intake-side starter motor, I chose to use the complimenting SW20 S54 gearbox, flywheel and starter motor.

I have since completed the conversion required for FWD Celica application and offer this guide for future Toy-modders. This information may also be useful as a reference for MR2 owners seeking use of Celica parts or modders looking to put a 2WD turbo-tough E153 MR2 gearbox into their FWD 3S-GTE application.

* S54 gearboxes after 1994 may have electronic speedo sensors and other technical challenges.

Default Re: How-to: Converting an MR2 gearbox to FWD (SW20 to ST162)

I started with the Celica S53 lifted out of my car and drained of oil, the MR2 S54 and its starter motor. To enable the repositioning of the starter motor, there is a plate that sits between the flywheel and the engine block that closes off the exhaust-side position of the S53 starter motor, which you will need if you intend to use this gearbox on the first generation 3S-GE engine.

Examining the S53 and S54 gearboxes side by side, the similarities in the casting will immediately leap out at you. The bolts mounting the S53 shift lever and selecting bell crank correspond directly with bolt holes cast into the S54. Remembering that these two gearboxes are mechanically identical, aside from moving over the exterior clutch and sensor components, the most obvious requirement is moving that shift lever and selecting bell crank from the south side of the S54 to the north side, so it can interface with the Celica's shift cables.

Imagine sitting in the driver seat of an MR2 with the engine positioned behind you, the shortest distance between the gear stick and the gearbox is on its south side. Both the Celica and the MR2 drive in the same direction, so if you are sitting in the front seat of the Celica, the shortest path between the gearstick and the gearbox is now meeting on the north side. This is how the shift levers are positioned.

Follow me now as we go step by step!

For reference, see the exploded diagram of the MR2 S54 gearbox. So we're all on the same page, all part names referred to will be the ones used on this page.

This gearbox will be going back into a Celica, so transfer any Celica ancillaries from the S53 to the S54. This includes the slave cylinder lines and brackets, as well as the north engine mount.

Position the gearbox in neutral. Remove the shift lever and selecting bell crank from the S53 by undoing the two 14mm bolts connecting it to the S53. You may need to undo the east engine mount to access these bolts, depending on your tools. I recommend turning the gearbox bell housing face down and attacking these 14mm bolts with vertical leverage. Make sure your drive shafts are plugged up, or you'll start leaking any gearbox oil left in the gearbox.

Undo the no.1 lock ball on the top of the gearbox. Now undo the fat 22mm (if memory serves) hex hub on the control shaft cover. Your shift and select lever assembly will now slide out from the gearbox. Place aside with the previously removed shift lever and selecting bell crank.

S53 Shift and Select lever Assembly, protected by your Mum's pyjamas.

Moving now onto the S54 gearbox, to remove the shift and select lever assembly we must first remove the selecting bell crank and shift lever mounted on the south side of the shaft. The lever is held on by a pin through the shaft of the select assembly. Instructions say to strike the pin with a hammer to dislodge the pin, but I had no luck. I am keen to hear if anyone has more info on this.

Shift Lever holding the Shift and Select lever Assembly in position.

Not required for our new application, I decided the easiest way past this obstacle was to use an angle grinder to cut through the shaft just before the shift lever. I've never used an angle grinder before, but it cost me $19 to hire from Kennard’s and 10 minutes to cut through. Remove the rubber dust boot to expose the best place to cut through.

Remove this rubber boot to get clear access to the shaft for your "modifying".

Undo the control shaft cover and its monstrous 22mm bolt pattern and the no.1 lock ball as with the S53. Now that we're free from the MR2's shift lever, the shift and select lever assembly will pull smoothly through the now gaping maw.

Exposed Shift and Select lever Assemby for removal.

Insert the S53 shift and select lever assembly into the S54, studying the casting and the protrusions inside the shaft to ensure a smooth entry. It may take a few twists and rotations to see into its place.

Reinsert the no.1 lock ball, but not so tight that the gears can't shift. Re-do the control shaft cover 22mm hub and attach the selecting bell crank from the S53 onto the S54 gearbox following the procedures used previously if the engine mount poses an obstacle.

Test the shift functions of the gearbox by moving through the gears and if you are satisfied, the gearbox is now ready to refill with oil and remount.

Pillaged Celica S53.

Parts that I didn't need. Don't be afraid to break these.

Completed FWD-ready S54

Open hole in casing, currently seeking a solution to plug.
    Last edited by buck naked; 14-06-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Drop me a line with any feedback or corrections.

What gearbox oil would you recommend to refill the gearbox with? Does anyone have any ideas for how to plug the now open space on the south side of the S54?
    Last edited by buck naked; 14-06-2006 at 12:27 AM.

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

great work mate, have you got any larger pics of then those you have posted?

Hey Horse, yeah I do have bigger pictures. Photobucket automatically resized those ones for me, but I'm happy to email large versions of any you're seeking.

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

A simple Aluminium plate over the old starter hole will be your cheapest, easiest, and longest lasting option

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

oh good work! rep for j00!

whatever you use, i recommend that you DONT use redline shockproof OR redline MT90 in it. in fact do yourself a favour and dont use redline.. ive found it to behave like P00 in my box and im thinking about scrapping it again shortly in favour for Castrol GL4 which some of the MR2.org.au boys are finding works a lot better for them...
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Thanks for the advice Hamgatan, I'll hopefully be bolting it all up and filling it with oil in the next few weeks.

To cover up the hole where the MR2 shift selector faced, I made a mould out of Sikaflex and Gladwrap for the space, then after it had almost set, I covered the inside surface with a second coat then fitting my Sikaflex plug. Seems pretty solid, but we'll see how it goes when it's actually back on the road. I may go with an aluminium plate yet.