Thread: 18RG - strange request

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18RG - strange request

Hello 18RG enthusiasts,

Not your typical forum post....I purchased last year an 18RG which I was intending to swap over into my XT130 Corona. Have recently had a change of heart (I think?) and now contemplating purchasing another toy to play with and selling the Corona..

Was wondering if there was anyone in Brisbane who had an 18RG fitted to a Celica (or less likely a Corona?) who would be willing to spend a half hour or so one weekend taking a fellow toymodder for a brief ride to help give a better idea of how the motor went as I have never actually ridden in one, however always been a fan..Be nice to learn firsthand the perks, things to be mindful of, acceleration, gearing and rev ranges etc etc...Prefer carby version of the motor but not picky if anyone is kind enough to offer

Located in West Bris suburbs however will drive to you - 6 pack in it for anyone interested!

Cheers all

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: 18RG - strange request

Hi. I've done 18R-G to XT130. Pretty straightforward conversion. Depends on what version of the 18R-G you've got but even the a low comp EFI motor (which I have) is heaps better than the starfire. Early carby ones will go even better and make it an even simpler conversion. It won't be a rocket ship. It won't even be as quick as an RA28 with an 18RG because an XT130 is heavier, however it will change the character of the car significantly.

Parts required for a carby 18R-G conversion -

RT132 engine mount brackets (or fab your own, actually even celica ones should be close)
    RT132 or RT104 W-50 gearbox, gearbox crossmember
    RT132 tailshaft will fit, RT104 might.
    Have the outlets on your radiator moved
    Sort out your throttle cable, heater pipes, radiator hoses, exhaust (all the plumbing),
    Pretty textbook really.

If you want to have a look at how to snowball it into a 3 year project have a read of my build thread. Almost every xT13x related question you could ever ask has been answered in there. http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=56010

Drop me a PM if you have any more questions, these aren't a particularly popular model so i'm happy help.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

This was a RT122 that came stock with an 18RGUE. It was a popular model back in the day. Kind of wanted you to see this before your Test cruise, Kind of my way to motivate you. Good Luck and I wish that I still owned this car, for a family car this was a blast.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

That coupe is awesome

Thanks mate, awesome pics. Wish we got this model in Australia - any of the hardtop coupes are so hard to come by unfortunately but such a great looking car a shame you no longer own!

Quote Originally Posted by theremm View Post
    Thanks mate, awesome pics. Wish we got this model in Australia - any of the hardtop coupes are so hard to come by unfortunately but such a great looking car a shame you no longer own!
    I loaned this car to a friend that I had known for more than four years, we had gotten assigned to that base on the same day and our families did everything together, you get the picture. So it was no problem loaning him my family vehicle to take them to the airport before they were to leave the Island that afternoon to transport his family to the airport on his last day on Okinawa.

He was heading out the military gate to pick up his family but was stuck in traffic behind a Marine Flatbed truck, which was angled incorrectly coming into the curve to leave that Security Gate area.

That Marine driver decided to back the flatbed truck a few feet in order to clear the gate, backing over my car, peeling the front hood and fenders and stopped four inches into the Windshield before he became aware of the stopped traffic behind him.

My friend who had bailed out of the driverside door was lucky, I on the other hand was not. The payout for the damage to me was meaningless since that was the car that I had plan to be shipped to the states. The only part of that car to make it was the engine which I had disassembled. It currently sitting on an engine stand, rebuilt, awaiting that rare find of a donor chassis (Corona) to call home

This assembly was on a 18RC Block

18RG Block now 92mm

Last edited by 73GTV; 24-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Unfortunate story...hope it finds a home soon. Nice to see you have switched over to the carby setup too

Quote Originally Posted by theremm View Post
    Unfortunate story...hope it finds a home soon. Nice to see you have switched over to the carby setup too
    It was a carburetor engine to start off with. Never had the EFI.