Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1jz to 2jz

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic HIZOKU's Avatar

Default 1jz to 2jz

I have recently purchased a 1jz manual half cut for my self for my mx83 Cressida (jzx81 half cut) now im not going to ask how to put a 1jz into a Cressida but I have just come across a cheap astrio 2jz half cut as well

Now I would like to know how hard will it be to use the 2jz block and bolt every thing else of the 1jz onto it? And could I use the 2jz loom to run the head? And so on a 2jz computer? mind you i have a 1jz manual so i do not need to wire up a auto

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz to 2jz

i've read a fair bit about the jzx81 conversions, i'm quite interested in their simplicity.

from what i gather of jz's the heads for each(ge and gte, 1j and 2j) are all different. therefore, i reckon that you can't mix and match much, hence the 1.5jz. but, putting the 2jz block in place would be easy with the jzx81 cut.

so basically, what you need to do is wire up the complete 2jz, or make a 1.5jz(2jz block, 1jz head etc)
    beer me!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

If you have a complete 2jz, why wouldn't u use it.
    If in doubt power out

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    If you have a complete 2jz, why wouldn't u use it.

exactly. just wire her up.
    beer me!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Note that a 1JZ swap using a JZX81 front cut is simplicity itself - it doesn't even count as an engine conversion, it's an engine swap. Bolt stuff out of the front cut, bolt it into the Cressida, and you're 95% there.

Contrast this with a 2JZ swap, which is a full-blown engine conversion. Ask Southo how much is involved to properly complete a conversion like this - it's a big job and you can count on spending 2-3 times more than the 1JZ swap.

And then there's the 1.5JZ conversion, which probably sits somewhere in the middle. If you just swap the short motor and leave everything else as is (head, manifolds, engine management, turbos etc) it shouldn't be horrendously expensive, but we're talking quite a lot of labour here and if you pay someone else to do it the bill will be pretty large. But then you'll be stuck with teensy 1JZ turbos so you won't make any more power, just bucketloads of torque. Oh, and I have a feeling the 1.5JZ hybrid needs to be done with an NA 2JZ block to get decent compression, but I could be wrong - you'd have to look that one up.

So ask yourself the question, how much is that extra 500cc worth to you? IMO there are a lot of things you could do to a 1JZ before you thought about something like this.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

The only thing you should use the JZX81 frount cut if you put the 2JZ in (IMHO) is the enigne mounts and if you are silly enought to want to keep the stock IC that and the stock piping (and the R154 etc if that was with the JZX81).

The rest of the 2JZ should be used (it has the right sump), it'll be a bit of wiring, but meh (seeing as ur manual that makes not wiring the auto).

That's what I'd do?

Cheers
    Wilbo

sorry i should have made this clear i know the 1jz swop is piss easy lol

as for southo i have spoken to him but you have to rember he used astrio cut so he had to get custom aircon lines and so on and re wire the car he used jzx81 engine mounts to

as for the 2jz i might put that all in but been told 1jz head flows better and since i will have both not hard to swop a head and so on

it more the wiring im worried about trying to wire it up and have every thing running

i was thinking it would be like jza70 and then droping a 2jz along the lines of that as i dont have to change sump i have engine mounts correct cross member and every thing from a manual jzx81 halfcut to use that is why i see it as only a block swop if you get me :S ??

sorry about the no full stops and so on at work and rushing should be doing work not posting on forums

Quote Originally Posted by i2obert

as for the 2jz i might put that all in but been told 1jz head flows better
    it doesn't search 1jz vs 2jz heads on here, stock 2jz head outflows a ported 1jz one
    If in doubt power out

well from what i been told by some one on this forum with a flow bench and the test done in front of him the 1jz flows better and i will go by what he says as if his car is any thing to go by he knows his stuff and do does his mech

If in doubt power out

i read it now it just confuses me as it has people saying 1jz better 2jz better NA is better and so on lol i think the only way it will be set if some one went out got a brand new 1jz head and a brand new 2jz head lol

im over the hole headswop just seem to be easyer then trying to bolt the hole 2jz in as then the manifold and so on will need to be changed wear if i use the 1jz head manifold and so on will fit

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

if you have a JZX81 manual cut, and a 2J cut, it would be very easy to make a 2J manual cressida.

Use the 2J long motor with intake manifold and turbo's etc, bolt the 1J powersteer, alternator, AC comp, engine brackets, flywheel with new pilot bearing in crank...

Then use the JZX81 crossmember, powersteer lines, AC lines, radiator, brake booster, clutch master (probably a GX81 GT item), etc etc.

Bash the trans tunnel out (especially on the drivers side) to clear the R154, use the 2J loom, ECU, MAP sensor ignitor etc.

Issues you may run into include the waterpump setup, the 1J has a hydraulic setup, you can swap the pump to the 2J if you wish to keep the hydraulic fan and the 2J runs a normal clutch fan style waterpump originally. Then there's the sump if the 2J isn't front sump, but you have a front-sump 1J so you can swap that across (with new gasket on oil pickup to oil pump as a minimum)

The wiring isn't much different between the two looms, 1J loom is obviously easier, but the 2J loom would only be 45mins to an hour more work.

2jz has front sump to as for fans i was thinking about getting some nice electric ones dual

but every thing you said there JP is pretty much what i was after as that is what i wanted to do cross bread both to make a nice close to bolt in 2jz but i guess with the money saved from not buying the 2jz i could get a nice turbo mmm

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Go ahead and do it then, you should have it running in an afternoon for the price of a case of beer.

Not just a regular Backyard Mechanic ProjectSleeper's Avatar

Bahh, don't listen to them Robert... It's piss easy to fit a 2J into an MX83 - took us about 5 hours to have the 7M out and the 2J in. I just stretched it out to nearky 2 years to accomodate the magazine printing schedule...

The Fitting is EASY, the wiring is EASY (for someone like Mos), there is nothing overly "HARD" about it, - it's just bloody expensive (to do it properly), and takes a bit of time to find the right bits and have parts made as Norbie said.

I set a $20,000 budget and blew that long ago...

Seriously, Jap Import JZS147 Aristos are coming out in the next 6 mths or so.. Buy an Aristo Vertex V300 for $15,000 to $20,000 if you want a 2JZ in a Luxo cruiser.. You'd get to drive it lots sooner.....
    Last edited by ProjectSleeper; 23-05-2006 at 12:07 AM.