Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I requred pictures of a 1A-c and 2A-c head

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default I requred pictures of a 1A-c and 2A-c head

as stated with the title. "Why?" you ask?

My AE80 is a really annoying little thing to tune, just the slightest wrong degree with the dizzy and the old thing is pinging off its high horse. Although I think I may have solved that issue, it has a 4A dizzy, vacuum advancer is balanced wrong and needs less vacuum..

Although on the head there is a A with a circle around it and a 1 under it, casted into it. the decks don't seem to match, there is some sticking out on the block, and some sticking out off the head.

But, I want to know, am I wrong to believe that the head is a 1A?

Now this is obviously my 1st post, I probably got it in the wrong sections, Sorry mods, if I gave you some work

Default Re: I requred pictures of a 1A-c and 2A-c head

I take it no one cares about these engines? I thought someone might have a Toyota garden ornament lingering around. Never mind.

I may just have to hunt down someone that has an old AE80 and see if they'd let me take a few shots of their wheezy noise maker.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

pretty sure you got no replies because 1As are more or less nonexistent in australia. if you have a AE80 it is almost certainly a 4A. 1As were only sold in very early tercels iirc and only overseas
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    if you have a AE80 it is almost certainly a 4A.
    Aus AE80s had the 2A-C
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

fair enough, still not a 1A tho
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

all fare fun and more, but it does still leaves with the "what is this 1A stamp on my head?" I'll photo it and how it doesn't look like it sits on block properly later this week, when i have time off.

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJRGale View Post
    all fare fun and more, but it does still leaves with the "what is this 1A stamp on my head?" I'll photo it and how it doesn't look like it sits on block properly later this week, when i have time off.
    Photos should definitely help, although just because the head and block don't line up 100% perfect doesn't mean it's the wrong one (having spots outside the valve cover gasket to get leverage with a pry-bar is quite handy for removing a stuck cover)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Hiro, its basically the head is has corners sticking out 1 inch from the back, and the block has points/ribs going 1 inch out the side off the head. but yeah, I'll get them photos up, though I was hoping someone had photos for me to go with lol

Right'o then heres my pictures:

Here is the casting marks that makes me think "this says 1A, so it 1A?"

Heres one of the many spots where the deck doesn't line up with the head:

and another spot, with the obvious oil leakage coming from the dizzy:

Not pictured, the plenum, has a 2A casting mark on it, similar to the 1A casting.

so do I have the right to believe this may be a 1a head?

and yes, I know, 1A is 1.5L motor and the 2A is 1.3L but you can get that with longer bores 50cc each cylinder is not to hard to get when the stroke is 1mm more on a 77.5mm piston (unless i math wrong)
    Last edited by AJRGale; 30-06-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fixing pselling errors

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

from your photos tight perspective it does appear to be an "A" engine... Typically Toyota will use decals to indicate which in the series... for example.... https://slpery.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/imag3489.jpg

The casted in numbers don't (in my experience) indicate the engines volume.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Thank you OST, with the photo of the 4A, the old "Toyoda" logo casted stamp is where the 1A stamp is. that is why I thought it could of been a possibility.

I didn't mention the locations in for the photos:
    1st photo, middle of the head, where most stamps get casted on the heads.
    2nd photo, front of the engine(facing the engine not in the car), on the right hand side
    3rd photo is the back end, under the dizzy, right hand side..

what is another way of identifying the head then? is there casting dates/models put inside the cam chamber (under the tappet cover)?

on the other hand, I got it tuned to the best of my ability. It just seems to ping on load/acceleration, and manly after the 3-elastic-band-box changes gear, I have to take the foot off to allow vacuum to build again, I'm sure it has something to do with the 4A dizzy thats sitting in it. Also it doesn't have stock carby, last owner put a 32/36 weber on it, all it really done is use more fuel (from 700km/tank to 500km/tank)
    Last edited by AJRGale; 01-07-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: changed logo name

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

You problem could be with the way the carby is jetted if that made it use more fuel. A lean fuel mixture will cause pinging. Take your spark plugs out and have a look at the colour of them to see if it is running rich or lean.

Last time i looked at the plugs, they were dark gray, so im thinking its closer to rich. the timing for this engine is very touchy, 1 mil the wrong way, its ether got no power and stalls on accelerate, or its pinging harder then a old cold diesel. as I did mention before though, once it gets up on load, its pinging, take my foot off for a second and pull a vacuum on the dizzy, Then its fine till it bleeds in air again.

Remove all vacuum, it doesn't ping, retard it, it doesn't ping but has no power to move it. The carby was jetted for a 4A, so it should be rich for the engine.

on the other hand, throwing E85 down its guts, it loves the stuff, no notable pinging, but the carbies diaphragms just start melting and stretching. already rebuilt it twice. (i am planing to do a test on the rebuild kits, to see if the miser kits cannot handle E85)

None the less, this is an odd engine, I've had it for years and I could never get it right, nether can experienced mechanics or professionals can..

and yes yes, I'll put a 4AGE in, once I fined one in my budget of never never.

I'm also still waiting to see if someone has photos of a 2A though..

Just to update, heres a photo of one of the sparkies:

so this explain anything to the pinging?
    Last edited by AJRGale; 07-07-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Update

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

That plug looks lean to me

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    That plug looks lean to me
    I agree....

Also, to OP, are you sure the heat range is correct?

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!