Thread: SW20 MR2 turbo conversion

Forum Member

Default SW20 MR2 turbo conversion

Hey Guys, I havn't really posted much on these forums, but i now have a toyota, so i thought i would be worthy enough now

I have a N/A SW20 mr2, which is a lovely car, but not quick enough for me. I was wondering if you guys could tell me roughly how much it would cost and how hard it would be to convert it to a turbo mr2 and if it is worth the trouble.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dion

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

Default Re: SW20 MR2 turbo conversion

are you mechanically handy yourself ? do you have the space to do a conversion ?

if so then cost of halfcut 2-5k (depending on model/specs)

then add a couple of grand for the misc bits plus your time..

if you want to just drive in/ drive out of a workshop id budget the above plus a coupld of grand in labour... so say 9k pretty eaisly all up. if your going to do it id strongly suggest getting the 3rd gen 3sgte as they are a significantly better enigne. lots of small improvments that arnt just bolt on items.

Forum Member

hmmm so it will cost abit more then i thought. I would be able to do it my self, i just didn't know what was involved when it comes to an engine swap like this.

So you would need the engine (duh), computer, turbo, ic and computer.

Would the loom from the standard computer plug straight into the turbo comp? Is the standard GB much different from the turbo GB and is there any other major hassles or is it just little things?

Thanks for your help

Dion

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

If you get a rear cut (and I suggest you do), you'll get the box, engine, uncut loom, ECU etc. Make it a weekend job for you and a few mates...

RM.

P.S. CVAP had a couple of nice engines...

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

the gearbox is significalty different and hence the mounts are different. Im not sure *how* differnt though but i suspect the turbo ones from your half cut should bolt in.. or if they dont shouldnt require much fabrication.

you defianntyl want a half cut though.. box and shafts arnt exactly easy/cheap to get otherwise.

if you can do it yourself id budget on 3k on a half cut (more for a gen 3 3sgte) then say another 2k on misc.. wiring. new seals, timing belt etc etc.. all the bits you should change when you have an engine out anyway.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

The turbo gearbox is a lot different to the NA box. You'll basically want to get a half cut and move everything from it into yor car. The turbo has different drive shafts bigger hubs different gear shift cables bigger engine mounts etc etc.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

You'd be best off buying a half cut that way you get everything you need, and you can see how it all looks when its in a car.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice zorro's Avatar

Its a great learning curve doing a conversion. Some say sell it and buy one already done but half the fun is building a car!

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys. Im still tossing up if i want to do it or not.

To cut a long story short, an importer in Tas ripped me off 10g as he was meant to get me a jza70. He gave me an mr2 to use in the mean time which he registered in my name. Now i dont know if i want to keep the mr2 or try and get my money back off him so i can get a jza70.

Basically the mr2 cost me 10g if i keep it so i am trying to figure out if it is worth doing the conversion cause i want a turbo charged car.....

And your right, doing the conversion your self is more fun and cheaper then taking it somewhere.

Dion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Conversions are a big job, I have just finished the same type conversion and it was very time consuming, frustrating and expensive, but worth it in the end!