Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4AGZE piston rings?

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE piston rings?

Yes the 8.0:1 uses are 1.5mm top ring, where the 8.9:1 uses a 1.2mm top ring.
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Thanks Bazda pos - rep
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

A warning to all others! Backyard Mechanic

I was told by a very reputable company that recently did the machine work on my adub 4agze rebuild that NPR makes the rings for Toyota, and those are generally the only ones they ever use. I had a set of them in hand during the machine work, and were going to use them until a specialty coating company screwed up my original pistons. Since I then had to get new pistons I decided to go ahead and get some oversize ones, and have the block bored out. When I went to check on new NPR rings for the plus size pistons I found out that there were virtually none in stock anywhere in the US. Plenty of standard size, but no plus sizes, and that was apparently normal stock conditions. How does that make any sense?! Has it gotten to the point where all US 4agze blocks are assumed to have already been bored out by now, and that they now all require sleeves, and might as well use standard size pistons?!

Anyway, I then had to go for Toyota rings, and found out that they cost an arm and a leg compared to the NPR rings. Fortunately, the coating company was paying for these. When I got them I checked them against the standard size NPR rings, and other than a couple of slightly different markings near the end of each compression and scraper ring, which would have no effect upon their performance, they looked identical, not that that necessarily means a lot. What was odd, however, was that the oil scraper rings were designed in opposite manners. The Toyota rings aligned the flexible oil scraper rings with vertically shaped waves, and the NPR rings had horizontally shaped ones. I haven't heard that one design is any better, or different than the other, but I might check on it, just to see what is said about it, if anything.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!