Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how to build 1.5jz on budget

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: how to build 1.5jz on budget

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsupra View Post
    I used a gte block so a lot of parts werent required to be swapped over like yours, e.g oil pump, crank sprocket etc
    i didnt redrill oil hole, i thought i would give it a shot, people have tried both ways and apparently have failed both ways lol plus the head and block were both freshly machined ready to go so didnt want to have to go down the path of welding and machining at that stage.

I dont think there is a fully proven way to build one of these motors yet, too much hear say and speculation so my opinion is only to try and find out for yourself.
    you should be ok many people have done the straight swap without dramas, and if both head and block had been machined then i doubt you will have a drama. which head gasket did you end up using?

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

yeah hopefully be ok.
    I went 1j gasket, for the same reasons you went 1j gasket
    2j gasket just didnt look good on 1j head and flowed funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsupra View Post
    yeah hopefully be ok.
    I went 1j gasket, for the same reasons you went 1j gasket
    2j gasket just didnt look good on 1j head and flowed funny.
    yeh thats my thoughts to, you will have better chance of it sealing with 1jz gasket around the oil gallery as well.
    make sure you post when its running to let us know how you went.

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

i spoke to my machinest today about this, and he said he would weld up the hole for me and redrill it on an angle that would make it come out in the same location as the 2jz block.. so in saying that the 2jz gasket should do a better job of seeling seeing as it doesnt come so close to the edge of the block..

are the rest of the gaskets the same.. eg like water holes etc?

spose you really wont have trouble if the hole is welded and drilled, and you make a copper gasket and 0-ring the block anyways? as thats what i plan to do with mine anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by sleepercorty View Post
    yeh thats my thoughts to, you will have better chance of it sealing with 1jz gasket around the oil gallery as well.
    make sure you post when its running to let us know how you went.
    yeah will do

Pandaah, personal choice i guess. However if you have a very careful look at the water galleries between the 2 different heads and the 2 different gaskets then you will see the 2j gasket on the 1j head just doesnt seem right.
    Its up to you which way to go, as i said ealrier, no 1 way appears to be "correct" but more trial and error. Im just suggesting to study them carefully before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by pandaah View Post
    i spoke to my machinest today about this, and he said he would weld up the hole for me and redrill it on an angle that would make it come out in the same location as the 2jz block.. so in saying that the 2jz gasket should do a better job of seeling seeing as it doesnt come so close to the edge of the block..

are the rest of the gaskets the same.. eg like water holes etc?

spose you really wont have trouble if the hole is welded and drilled, and you make a copper gasket and 0-ring the block anyways? as thats what i plan to do with mine anyways..
    the 1jz gasket will stick out but more is better than less, if you dont weld the hole the 1jz gasket will seal a little better on the top side, even though it doesnt have the block to push against on the bottom the gasket is made of steel so will hold pressure against the head on the top side which is why alot of people get away without welding the hole up.
    and as we mentioned the head gasket is designed to suit each particular head and the 2jz gasket doesnt look right on a 1jz head. some people sware by the 2jz gasket but doesnt seem right to me.

all that effort just to save a few bucks .. 2jzgte are coming down in price and can be had for under 2k now for a package , by the looks of it you could get it built for about 1k and alot of messing about , and always have it in the back of ya mind its a bitza that might fail ..

id just buy a 2jzgte and drop it in a be done with it . .

but good r and d for sure .. wanna try it with a vvti 1jz head for us ? hahah
    Last edited by mxracer92; 04-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.

vvti head doesnt fit....
    reason for doing it was because i had a hks turbo kit i really wanted to use but manifolds suited 1j head
    your right though, 2jz are cheap as chips (i bought a complete one just for the block for my 1.5j lol),

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Fair call Wildsupra, i'd be in the same boat, wanting to retain the head & bolt ons, but gain the extra capacity of the 2J bottom end.
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer92 View Post
    all that effort just to save a few bucks .. 2jzgte are coming down in price and can be had for under 2k now for a package , by the looks of it you could get it built for about 1k and alot of messing about , and always have it in the back of ya mind its a bitza that might fail ..

id just buy a 2jzgte and drop it in a be done with it . .

but good r and d for sure .. wanna try it with a vvti 1jz head for us ? hahah
    its not really to save a few bucks it was more or less that i had most of it sitting there doing nothing might as well spend a couple of hundred and make use of it, if i had to buy it all probably wouldnt be worth it.
    the only things i have actually had to purchase are
    2jz $500
    head gasket $100
    timing belt kit $100
    waterpump $100
    valve stem seals $30
    head welded/acid dipped/valves lapped/valve seals fitted $100 (mates rates)
    plus a bit of silastic and a couple of other things. so yes around $1000 all up

but for my $1000 i get a motor with new crank and cam seals, new head gasket, new water pump, new timing belt kit, reconditioned cylinder head, new sump gasket, bearings and rings checked (for another $300 i could of done new rings and bearings and had a reconditioned motor but motor was in perfect condition so didnt worry).
    or i could buy a 2jz for $2000 then worry about what head, valves and headgasket is like, what water pump and timing belt are like, what bearings are like, valve stem seals and so on.

if you had to pay to get it done would not really be worth it, or if you had to purchase all the parts to do it definately would be better buying 2jzgte, for people already running 1jz with aftermarket top end then it is also cheaper than changing manifolds. i originaly bought this to go in my cressida with my 1jz top end, but im more of a 1jz fan and cant bring myself to doing it, plus ive already maxed out my 1000cc injectors so i dont have enough fuel to go 2jz bottom end.

im not even sure what the motor will be used for and will probably end up for sale in the future but we will see
    Last edited by sleepercorty; 04-01-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Team Awesome Carport Converter Pimpin_1JZ's Avatar

Yes, the ONLY reason that one would got down the path of 1.5JZ would be if you have headwork done or turbo/manifolds to suit.

If you are doing it for the wow factor then you are retarded.
    1JZ MZ20 Soarer - 4AGZE KE70 Corolla - 4AGE AE86 - 4AGE KE70

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Rhyno's Avatar

Good on you mate!

I love to see people using junk they have laying around to make a new treasure.

Kind Regards,

Ryan

+1 for retaining 1jz parts.. thats why ill be building mine.. cos i know im gunna go out and get some cams and shit soon and work my 1jz then im gunna want more power in the form of 3ltrs... fantastic guide, cant wait for money so i can do it myself haha

Junior Member Carport Converter ecko's Avatar

do you think 2jzge head on 1jz block will work mate?

why would you do that?... would still have the same problems with the oil pressure hole