Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how to build 1.5jz on budget

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: how to build 1.5jz on budget

as i have said you dont have to do the oil gallery mod but it didnt cost me anything to get done and didnt want to be pulling it apart if it leaked so better safe than sorry. 1mm of sealing surface with 60psi oil pressure didnt want to risk it, exhaust gear only with standard cams you retard it about 3 degrees and pick up around 20hp with standard cams

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

i think what they mean is.. when using the 1jz gasket, no matter where the hole in the head is, you have 1mm clearence with the gasket on the 2jz block either way..

maybe the best way is to weld a blob on the block and when you get the block decked itll all be flat and ready to seal??

binge toymoder Grease Monkey

sleepercorty, also wanted to know whet u did aboul the oil feed for the turbo?
    ke70 20v drifta 18psi = 230rwkw
    jzx83 cressida, 14psi = TBA

Oil feed would have to be either from the oil filter and routed around, or drill and tap into the gallery where the blanks are

This is the next step for me, so cheers for the writeup corty, interesting with the cams too, something else to add!

My reasoning for doing this swap is I'm due for the 100k service on my 1j, and its getting tired, i can swap a few things around and keep most of my current setup for only a relatively small amount extra, with some added security.

With regards to the questioning of the oil gallery, i see the arguments, when relocating the hole in the head, the oil will still fill the gasket's area and put pressure on that 1mm of mated material. That's how I interpret it anyway, may be horribly wrong...

I would prefer to extend the block via a weld and get it decked, but most likely will forego it and just prep the surfaces well.

yeh i never got around to the oil feed part but there are a couple of ways it can be done just depends how you want to do it. also everyone isnt understanding the oil feed modification, it must not be easy to understand with my pictures but anyone that actually goes to do this will soon see why its done

this might clear it up for everyone, in the picture it looks like the head gasket has a cut out for where the oil gallery used to be in the head, but it is actually the inprint from where the head has been pressed against it. the new 1jz head gasket has a very slight raised edge around where the standard oil galley would go and around the cylinders and water galleries but once the head gasket is compressed this raised part is compressed flat. all the used 1jz gaskets i have none of the original raised edges of the gasket are present so it will have no dramas sealing. the raised edges are only there for initial sealing purposes, in the picture i have marked the surface that will be the sealing surface

so oil will come directly out of this hole

and directly into this hole

if you were really worried about the the gasket not crushing flat enough around the raised pieces of the gasket you could spray alittle holymar/copper gasket around the oil feed

if you leave the standard oil gallery in the head the oil will flow like in this picture, out of the block across and then up and only leave you with about 1mm if sealing area as shown with the two lines. hope it gives everyone a better idea now, but like i said once you actually go to do the conversion you will quickly see that its a good safety to pay someone a couple of dollars to weld it up for piece of mind

While this thread is still fairly recent, ill ask.

With the oil galleries, what I gather from searching is that the exhaust side isnt linked in, so the 2 oil feed ports (obviously need drilling/tapping) on that side wont get any oil, until this is rectified. Anyone know how you do this at all? I would much rather take the oil feed form the correct side with shorter lines than T around the block

Cheers
    David

where have you been researching?... all the necessary information is already in this thread?

binge toymoder Grease Monkey

Wow, glad I found that out now! Otherwise I would have fucked my turbo trying to get oil from the dry side! I was toying with the idea of a remote filter housing on the turbo side so I can run a cooler off that also and a sandwich plate with turbo oil feed and gauge senders etc. That way I wouldn't risk metal in my oil gallery from drilling/taping etc
    ke70 20v drifta 18psi = 230rwkw
    jzx83 cressida, 14psi = TBA

My block is going to be sent off to get decked and cleaned so I'll still get it. There is a bit of fucking around to get the other gallery oiled. The metal balls in the front get removed, and a hole is drilled through the side of the block past the left passage and into the right one, not sure if it's worth it as surfaces need to be prepped, and all holes tapped out and stoppers put in... Might just be easier teeing off the filter. I'll put a link in when I get home, found it on an is300 site.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

(thread revivlal) there seems to be alot of valuble information here, i damaged my bottom end lastg week so ill be doing this conversion, picking up a complete 2jz-ge for $200 this afternoon... will post my achievments and fails as i go... i also agree knowing that the rebuilding the motor also helps knowing everything is fresh. i will be changing out the pistons and rods for forged aftermarket items and minor head work also.

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity.....how much power would be gained from doing the 2j block, 1j head combo?

Am I also to assume that a full 2j engine (head/block) would make more power with same parts? (gt35 etc).

Is a 1J head that much of a 'bottleneck'? (lets say, 2j head with 272's and a 1j vvti head with 264/272 combo).

Thanks.

Has anyone on here actually drilled the had and used a 2jz gasket that can say yeh its cool?