Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1VD-FTV V8 Diesel Information

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Default Re: 1VD-FTV V8 Diesel Information

70 series only come in manual. 200 series motor would be exceptionally gay to get running in anything else.

Up to 5 injections per cycle.

I don't know how good those $350 injectors would be. When we replace them, you have to get the right injectors to begin with, then once installed go into a utility on the Intelligent Tester and input the correction codes for all 8 injectors into the ECU memory. That's how fine the tolerances are.
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

the hybrid Backyard Mechanic Fish's Avatar

gavatron there the exact same injector. He has had nothing but probs with his v8 troopy but his mate with the same motor in the GXL has been fine. HIt has been that much of a problem that he prob won't buy a new toyo again.

Zub Zub Domestic Engineer Gavatron's Avatar

Fair enough then. What problems was he having if you don't mind me asking?
    || 91 MX83 Cressida Grande 1JZGTE - Daily || 84 MA61 Supra 2JZGE - Track ||

the hybrid Backyard Mechanic Fish's Avatar

injectors flowing to much that it is going straight into the sump. has had clutch shudder, gearbox has had gears replaced and now the engine is so noisy he is just waiting for it to blow up and toyota won't replace the motor after it has been back that many times.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron
    Both are pretty rooted. One is a complete engine in bits, one is just the block. The complete one is counted for but I can probably get you the block.
    Hello Gavatron,

I would still be most interested in the block. It would still allow me to determine, roughly, if the engine will fit. Also, I would be able to determine bellhousing bolt patterns, and locations of engine mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteH
    Hi,

I didn't mean for my coment to be taken that your Crown chassis wouldn't be up to the task, more I was just clarifying Rona's comment on the donor vehicle and the Crown having the same chassis...
    Hello PeteH,

It did bring the issue to my attention however -- it forced me to at least confirm with some evidence that the Crown chassis will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt
    Doesnt the 1VD have piston problems Gav ?, ive heard of a couple of cases allready on exploroz. They sure as hell are very rattly when cold.
    Most common rail diesels have non rebuildable injectors that cost $1000 each which by 100000klm are getting tired .
    Dave
    Hello Dave,

The beauty of a diesel is that if I were really desperate, I could theoretically retro-fit a mechanical injection system. For example, two Toyota 2L diesel pumps, run 45 degrees out of phase of each other can replicate a V8 diesel inline injection pump, and the cylinder capacity is about right (0.6L versus 0.5625L).

Would be a hell of a task!

Quote Originally Posted by crownv8
    The diesel engine would have to be exactly the same as the 1uz to fit into an MS112. My MS83, which has the same chassis as the MS112, has only minimal room either side of the engine and that's with the right exhaust manifolds and the lean to the left that the UZS131 had standard.

If you were willing to go to a rack and pinion steering you would have a better chance of fitting it.

Cheers,
    Shane.
    Hello Shane,

The MS112 and MS83 chassis are the same? That is really handy information right there.

I am already resigned to the fact a rack and pinion conversion is most likely a must.

What I am really concerned about now is clearance between the upper front suspension control arms. The steering can be altered, the front suspension is a different matter*... I am hoping in a couple of weeks I will have an answer as to the distance between the suspension control arms.

*Convert to struts? Strewth...

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70
    what box you gonna put behind it? i would keep the standard auto, nice box if you ask my boss. only issue he has with it is that it likes to launch in second and then kick back, even on gentle starts he reckons.. anyone heard anything about this?
    and 650nm is not excessive, if your gonna do it, do it properly
    Hello love ke70,

I would think there would be clearance issues with the twin turbo version of this motor. As for the gearbox... I may be able to use the landcruiser gearbox, from what I have read, the transfer case is separate to the H150F gearbox. Will probably have to alter the transmission tunnel to fit it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    have u done a weight on it? it is not a light engine. there are heaps of injector issues with these engines
    Hello Fish,

According to a picture posted on Toyota Nation which I cannot find the original source of, the Servicable Engine Mass is 357kg, including oil and water. (Toysrme 2007, Toyota Nation)

Relevant Engine Data section has been updated.

As for injector problems, I think by the time I get hold of one of these engines, teething problems will probably be fixed.

Thanks for all the replies to this thread.

Cheers,
    Brendon.

Has a pet Grease Monkey

Converting to mechanical pumps doesn't seem too easy - most are for indirect (swirl chamber) injection. I'm not that familiar with commercial diesels though, but maybe some do exist with mechanical direct injection and rebuildable injectors that can be made to fit the 1VD. Sounds like a lot of work to me though.
    '73 TA12 Carina - pushrod power project
    '77 TA14 Carina - 1GGTE swap in the works
    '77 TA23 Celica - 1UZ swap abandoned, selling shell to someone with JZ plans...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Are the genuine injectors made in Japan ? Me thinks there wont be whole lot of aftermarket tech tools that will interface with most of the new toyota diesel stuff .
    Ive held off many a times on buying the ultra scan as ive had too many cars it cant scan.
    Dave

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by web
    Converting to mechanical pumps doesn't seem too easy - most are for indirect (swirl chamber) injection. I'm not that familiar with commercial diesels though, but maybe some do exist with mechanical direct injection and rebuildable injectors that can be made to fit the 1VD. Sounds like a lot of work to me though.
    Sorry web, I have not had time to reply...

Yes, it will be a lot of work. Thinking about what I stated earlier, the 2L pumps may not supply fuel to the injectors at a high enough pressure for direct injection. You will most likely end up with something not optimum - but the engine will run anyway.

There are a few Toyota engines getting around that are direct injection. Such as the B series massive 4 cylinder diesel, or the H series 6 cylinder diesel.

I also believe the Volkswagon TDi engines use mechanical injection, where the quantity of fuel injected is "electronically controlled".

The 1VD-FTV compression ratio is only 16.8:1 (Toyota Pressroom), presumably find an injector that fits and has a roughly equivilent spray pattern, and was designed for a compression ratio higher than this.

The end result will be a noisier engine since there is no precise control over injection. Possibly a loss of power too, if the injectors cannot correctly atomize the fuel. However, you will have a simple, reliable fuel injection system that requires no electronics what-so-ever. It's akin to fitting a carby to a 2JZ

Cheers,
    Brendon.

Has a pet Grease Monkey

Very good comparison, it covers just about everything I was going to say about that solution
    '73 TA12 Carina - pushrod power project
    '77 TA14 Carina - 1GGTE swap in the works
    '77 TA23 Celica - 1UZ swap abandoned, selling shell to someone with JZ plans...