Thread: Aftermarket oil pressure gauge stuck/issue

moustache master 1st year Apprentice

Default Aftermarket oil pressure gauge stuck/issue

This is an interesting one for all the wiring gurus.

I have a blitz electric oil pressure gauge here in my AE86 (kouki japanese issue body loom), standard run of the mill electric pressure gauge, standalone, with a warning light inbuilt.

this is a rundown:

-sender is 1/8 tapered NPT, screwed into the ST 20v oil pressure sender hole perfectly.

-sender is working correctly as tested with a multimeter. pulse rate increases as RPM goes up, decreases as RPM declines. These have been consistent readings, showing the sender is in working order.

-power to constant 12v is connected on a red wire which is marked on the diagram as 12v.

-power to backlight illumination is connected, turns on when light switch is actuated. as is needle illumination which is connected to a constant 12v as the wiring diagram instructs (red wire again).

-its grounded properly.

-there is a blue wire which is for a warning light, [labeled on the diagram as IG+12v] and i'm not sure if this should be connected to a constant 12v power source as well as the orange 12v wire.

note: when the orange (constant power) and the blue (warning light) wires are contacted together when neither are plugged into 12v power, they complete a circuit and light up the warning light. I'm thinking this has to do with the orange wire being a 12v constant power return maybe?

but a most odd thing is, with a small adjustment of a screw in the back of the housing, the needle jumps up to 6.5 kg pressure on the gauge and sticks, and doesn't move AT ALL, even when the engine is under load or if the car is turned off, with the isolator switch out. adjusting the screw again drops the needle to below zero and no reading whatsoever either while the car is running, or off, or under load.

i've got the diagram, but its in japanese. i've translated and colour coded the wires as well to give an idea:

I know this is a weird problem, and thanks in advance to anyone with ideas, as i've tried every combination under the sun, and im not expecting anyone to nail it, but its my last shot before losing my sanity...

Forum Member

Default Re: Aftermarket oil pressure gauge stuck/issue

Pretty old thread and you've probably sorted the problem now, but your translations aren't quite right. On the sensor loom you've got red and black around the wrong way. The wire you have labeled green next to the white wire is actually green, and there are probably other mistakes but I can't make out some of the other characters due to the crappy picture. If you haven't figured it all out then take a better pic and I'll have another look.