Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spraying black bumpers

Junior Member Grease Monkey Unforgiven's Avatar

Default Spraying black bumpers

Hey guys, i was wondering what has to be done to spray black bumpers white. I want to do this on my pulsar. But i was thinking, do you lightly scuff the bumpers back with sandpaper or something? Or do you just apply bumper prime and wack on the paint?

Cheers -unforgiven.

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: Spraying black bumpers

i have heard that a quick rough them up a little first helps a fair bit.

it should help take out any small bumps and help the paint to stick. the primer should fill any small sanding marks....

maybe give it a try on an old bumper? (if you have one) do half sanded and half not sanded. then you will be able to compare the two. a bit of extra work, but at least it will be right for the good ones/
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

Yeh i'll try that, i'm just worried that sanding on plastic will scratch the crap out of it. Maybe not? who knows. Thanks for the advice.

Classic Not Plastic Domestic Engineer ace's Avatar

I say get them chromed.....Its the only way, just ask River
    My TA22
    Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato about new cars
    Yeah sure, it goes alright and it's got air conditioning, cup holders and automatic tampon removers, but where's the charm?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

chromed ??? plastic bumbers chromed ?

ruffen up the plastic then prime then sand and prime then sand and paint did it to my mates car not long ago lol the bumber looked shmic but the rest of the car was falling apart

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

2 dollar spray cans FTW!!!!!!!
    it all peels and flakes anyway in my experience
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

depends are your bumpers smooth or do they have a corse pattern on them? if they have the pattern then you will have to sand them heavly until they are nice and smooth. you will want a corse grade paper first off, them when you get it down a bit give it ago with some finer stuff to get rid of the deepish scratches. also when you go to buy the primer, probaly best to get a primer filler, the guys at the paint shop will know what you are talking about, also be shoure to rub some prepsol over them before primering and painting (it gets rid of dust and oil from you fingers). if need be you may need to bog some areas. give the primers a light sanding before giving them a second coat of primer then a light sand again. sand and paint (dont forget that prepsol). and vola painted bumpers. take your time as a little bit more effot to get it right can meen the diffrence between it looking go or it looking shithouse.

if you completely fk them up you can always paint them black again.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

The bumpers are dead smooth. Does this mean i will still need to rub them back?

depends
    wat do u want them to turn out like and how long u want them to last?
    if i wanted it proper id prep them like i would painting a car
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

u dont use sandpaper on plastic bumpers there is a scour pad u can buy for it, once flexprime and paint go on then u can use sandpaper
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Remember that you have to use the right primer for the plastic. The normal etch primer doesnt work, you need Flexprimer (or another specifically plastic primer) otherwise itll flake off.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Grease Monkey

When I did plastic bumpers I roughed up the surface using scothbrite. Then washed it down with wax and grease remover. This was followed with a plastic primer, then spray primer which I wet rubbed and finally colour. They came out really well.
    Last edited by broken22; 02-07-2006 at 07:34 AM.

Ok thanks guys. I'll go hunting for some scouring pads. Yeah i've got specific bumper primer so that shouldn't be an issue, thanks all for your input!

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

With plastic bumpers static tends to build up while rubbing them back, then when you paint then bits of dust and fluff are attracted to the bumper and you'll often find little lumps in the paint. Run a hose lightly over the bumper to discharge the static before painting them!

You'll also probably need to add some stop putty to fill stone chips after your first coat of primer (not the plastic primer), then put another coat of primer on once you're happy with that before hitting it with the colour/clear.

ech, the evil water her down thing
    may work alright with bumpers but never wet the floor before you paint a car!