Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disk Brakes on early Hilux RN16

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Disk Brakes on early Hilux RN16

Thanks, yes it was.

Having seen it in the flesh I absolutely LOVE it and have relatively big plans although nothing particularly performance-oriented. Just a major resto / upgrade type thing. I already have one car that's too fast to use!
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Ok kids, does anyone know if the RN4x was available with power steering at all?

If so, is it feasible that I could convert my RN1x to front-mounted power steering without too many hassles? I haven't looked at either car in close detail yet so I'm not sure if there's something stupid I'm not thinking about.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If you're going that far then why not swap the cab onto the later chassis? Even if cab mounts are different it's easier to move them than to mount the steering stuff in the right place.

If you're going to just do steering then make sure chassis is the same width and the control arms are the same length, otherwise it's not gonna work.

Cheers
    Matt

And think about whether it's worth all that hassle for power steering in a truck that only weighs 1100kg
    NZ project: 1976 Toyota Stout, bags, 20's, worked Beams 3SGE, etc
    Aussie project: 1965 Toyota Crown, 22R and some low makes for a nice weekend cruiser.

Oh, and 1978-2004 were pretty much the same chassis so power steering will bolt onto that chassis, even if rn40's didn't have them.
    Aussie project: 1965 Toyota Crown, 22R and some low makes for a nice weekend cruiser.

From an engineering perspective, it is actually easier to retain the standard chassis. If you upgrade to a later chassis you have to do all sorts of additional fuckery as you bring in a later set of ADRs.

I might leave the p/s alone, not having driven it it's hard to say if it needs it or not but as it's a ground-up build I just want to do everything I can while I'm at it.

Yeah, I thought of engineering but safety wise the difference between 1970 and 1980 wasn't much (seat belts?), plus knowing Toyota the possibility of the cab mounts being the same is reasonably good and the chance of anyone actually recognizing that your chassis isn't original also pretty good.

Up to 89 were pretty easy to drive without power steering, I swapped non power steering into a 90 extra cab once though ( engine swap made it easier to go that way, minimal weight difference) and regretted it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine without it, it's a nice light vehicle. Very jealous!

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

Ok let's drag this up again. Rn10. Easy disc upgrade. Thanks. Is the 40 series the best option?
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey all. I've done this conversion. Quite easy. But it was on a Toyota Lite- Stout. Which has a similar front end design as a RN10 front. Lite Stout steering boxes/idler are mounted on the inside of the chassis rail where as the Hilux is mounted on the outside.

Anyway You'll need.

From a RN30/40 Hilux
    Stub axle assemblies (Disc's, rotors etc)
    Lower Ball Joint

From Your RN10 Hilux
    Steering knuckle/arm

RN30/40 Hilux (disc brake) Stub is the left. Early Light Stout/Hilux (Drum brake) is Right. You'll need to unbolt the the knuckle and drill the holes out larger to suit the larger diameter bolts that the RN30/40 Stub axle uses to bolt it to the Stubaxle

Lite Stout Lower Ball Joint Left and Hilux Lower Ball joint Right. Same tapers, larger diameter.

Pretty much all Toyota Tapers percentages are the same, just different diameters. Earlier Hilux stuff used a smaller diameter.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

im gonna drag this one out again

just bought a lite stout rk101 going to upgrade to rn40 front hubs and brake master/booster setup.

found a set of rn40 fronts with master/booster for $300

anyone got eyes on a cheaper price for these

also specific to just the lite stout blinga_22rte what parts did you need and whats steps did you take with the upgrade

also did you get much benefit in this?

also heard rumour that rn85 front stuff bolts on? can anyone confirm how close to bolt on this conversion is?

cheers

Forum Member

Wow i really lucked out haha i have an RN41 (2WD Long bed) with booster and drums all round = (
    What brakes can i use? can i just find an RN41 that had disks and do a straight swap? any other upgrades would be better as i am looking at swapping the engine out a bit later down the track and would much prefer to have bigger brakes

Thanks,
    Ben