Thread: Anyone from the USA able to help?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Anyone from the USA able to help?

I need to aquire a usdm 4age small port dizzy for my build. From what I have read they are the only model to come with the 4 tooth bottom rotor and single tooth top rotor, ideal for coil on plug setups. . I am having a lot of trouble trying to find one in Australia so was wondering if anyone from the states could point me in the right direction to find one. Whether it be a good toyota wrecker or maybe having one lying around spare.

Cheers

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone from the USA able to help?

try rock auto. rockauto.com

look up 1991 corolla, ignition, distributor... look for GTS
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Junior Member Conversion King

Sounds like you are over complicating your situation. From what I hear any smallport or GZE dizzy can act as an effective CAS for a 16v COP conversion.

Plenty of info about it here on the forums.. As well as parts you can find second hand in Aus to help with your conversion.
    Autodub - 1987 AW11 G-Limited, Dark Blue Mica 4AGZE T-Top 4EAT

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy View Post
    try rock auto. rockauto.com

look up 1991 corolla, ignition, distributor... look for GTS
    Cheers mate.. that's exactly what I'm after

Quote Originally Posted by maj View Post
    Sounds like you are over complicating your situation. From what I hear any smallport or GZE dizzy can act as an effective CAS for a 16v COP conversion.

Plenty of info about it here on the forums.. As well as parts you can find second hand in Aus to help with your conversion.
    From everything I've read, the easiest way to do the conversion is with the usdm dizzy.. it doesn't require any modifying to obtain the correct feedback signals to the ecu.. All the other posts I have read involve grinding teeth off the 24 tooth rotor.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

The 'USDM' dizzy for a 16v is the VAST type, so 4-1, same ignition setup was used/sold locally, if its a 16v 4AGE using a air flow meter it will have the 4-1 dizzy.
    If its running a MAP sensor its a ESA engine, different dizzy, has a 24-4 setup.
    If its a smallport it will run the 24-1 dizzy, which is the way to go (simple, good resolution) if your need one for an aftermarket ECU to run COP's

The 4-1 dizzy will run COP's, most dont because you can get a smallport one for fuck all.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1985-1989...item19f2a41b2c
    That's a 4-1 dizzy if you want it

The dizzy my engine has has 24-4 and I can't get my microtech to receive an ignition signal from it.. how would u wire up a 24-1 smallport dizzy? I was told that the ecu needs the 4 tooth signal for ignition timing for each cylinder and the single tooth for tdc..

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Your pretty fucked with a microtech, as far as I know if you want to change anything ignition trigger wise you have to send it back with a wad of $50's taped to it.

Any other ECU and its a fucking walk in the park.

Hahaha. . The car came with it when I bought it , so I wasn't all that keen to change the wiring harness completely.. I got my hands on a 4-1 dizzy. Hopefully I'll have it all up and running soon. Cheers for the feedback though. It always good to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    The 'USDM' dizzy for a 16v is the VAST type, so 4-1, same ignition setup was used/sold locally, if its a 16v 4AGE using a air flow meter it will have the 4-1 dizzy.
    If its running a MAP sensor its a ESA engine, different dizzy, has a 24-4 setup.
    If its a smallport it will run the 24-1 dizzy, which is the way to go (simple, good resolution) if your need one for an aftermarket ECU to run COP's

The 4-1 dizzy will run COP's, most dont because you can get a smallport one for fuck all.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1985-1989...item19f2a41b2c
    That's a 4-1 dizzy if you want it
    After consulting the guy who sold me the microtech. He has now admitted that he made a mistake in the info he told me. I do indeed require the 24-1 dizzy.. now the quest starts to find one for a reasonable price.. have you got any tips on a good place to look?