Thread: Keg to Fuel tank conversion?

Toymods Club Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Keg to Fuel tank conversion?

Well just as it sounds in the title, ive got an old keg thats been lying around my garage for years and recently came across some shots of fuel tanks made from them. Having recently purchased a rat rod style Toyota stout this seems like the perfect conversion.
    The two things i need to know is can it be done legally and does anyone know a place in sydney that can help install the apropriate fittings (such as filler and sender unit)?
    1978 RK101 Stout - Rat Spec
    1972 RT81 Corona - Cruiser spec

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Keg to Fuel tank conversion?

legally? sure why not.. is stainless and as long as it doesn't leak and can be attached securely to your truck.. should be all good.
    would need to be engineered on paper probably.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

spank that naughty.. Grease Monkey

got one in the shed too ,mexican beer !
    when i had a speedboat one of the fuel tank suppliers ( cruiser ? ) had a range of filler necks in stainless availiable , id look at some foam or baffles to stop the fuel sloshing round
    and from my research into gas conversions .....the thickness of the straps holding the tank is subject of some discussion
    Remember this is a recreational activity ......

we got toys ! 83 lo lux in matte black..... amazingly 18 rg powered , one day it will run right !
    the dinosour 90 gsx r 750 with ohlins and yoshi , and the dirty little secret 125 vespa ,4 speed and kick start

Cheers for the feedback guys. That solves the first question now for where to get it done?

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Probably a fabrication shop, ie of the variety that woul normally build alloy tanks etc

You shouldfn't have a poblem getting LPG tank straps to suit i would think. How many litres is a keg?
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

spank that naughty.. Grease Monkey

i was thinking i would cut the top out ,baffle inside ,weld a flat patch ,and make a bolt in panel that was some how sealed,the panel could have all the outlets and a mount for an in tank fuel pump
    then a filler and a drain plug.
    boat guys do high quality stainless work all the time for really fussy people ( with " no money " )
    so have a glance at the yellow pages
    all the lpg straps i have seen tend to be dirty gal lookin things that would only look good on a taxi
    i would just get some flat bar " rolled " to your nominated diameter and weld some mounts to it
    cheers
    Remember this is a recreational activity ......

we got toys ! 83 lo lux in matte black..... amazingly 18 rg powered , one day it will run right !
    the dinosour 90 gsx r 750 with ohlins and yoshi , and the dirty little secret 125 vespa ,4 speed and kick start

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Did you buy the Wagga Council Stout dunebob?

Sweet ride if its the same one!
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i would suggest you use stainless straps for your stainless tank, to keep it stainless as opposed to steel/Alloy/gal
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Just use some stainless steel straps that are normally used on truck fuel tanks. You might even be able to use the j brackets that trucks use to mount the tanks to the chassis. there should be a few different sizes available.

Cheers for the help everyone... Silver RA23 i bought the one that was on ebay late last year in vic.
    As for mounting i will speak to the fabricator and get some bolt mounts for the base so they will be hidden under the tank.
    Cheers for the tips on baffleing suave. And will definatly be chatting to boat fabricators.