Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 4AG headwork, now block too

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: 4AG headwork, now block too

Removing sharp edges whether it be at the transition from the CC to the deck (edge) or some ridiculous casting mark is all out preventing hot spots/detonation. Nothing more or less... sorry to disappoint those thinking about flow numbers.... lol

Your actual valve edge/seat angles have more effect on flow then any polishing of CC's.... so if you really want to be picky, find out what TRD valve edge/seat angles + Cams were in N/A and/or F/A Heads and use that. Any deviation from that and you could bet your mortgage on it losing power. No need to re-invent the wheel. There is only so much you can do with these old heads as the ports don't have the wall thickness required to mould them into current generation port shapes.

Rep points are for those who feel inadequate in other areas !

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abently
    Removing sharp edges whether it be at the transition from the CC to the deck (edge) or some ridiculous casting mark is all out preventing hot spots/detonation. Nothing more or less... sorry to disappoint those thinking about flow numbers.... lol
    Exactly what Loynings told me... They did like the job I did... between getting the volumes correct and removing the points of detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by abently
    ........so if you really want to be picky, find out what valve edge/seat angles + Cams were in N/A and/or F/A Heads and use that.
    Loynings is an F/A builder... they have developed a one piece cutter that cuts all three angles at the same time.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

I think you are largely correct. However flow in more cases then not will be gained mainly on exhaust port due to the smoother transition from chamber to valve seat.

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy
    Loynings is an F/A builder... they have developed a one piece cutter that cuts all three angles at the same time.
    You mean they scrolled through the serdi/mondello catolouge and selected a multi angle cutter to suit their purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    You mean they scrolled through the serdi/mondello catolouge and selected a multi angle cutter to suit their purpose?
    They may have....... but, I was TOLD....... they developed it after 1000s of hours of flow bench testing.

They have developed other parts/services too. Their 4AG timing pulley centers have a mass of less than 50 grams, they are machined to be a zero tolerance fit** they use stock pulley outters for they fit belts the best. They use both an engine dyno and chassis dyno( good for 1000hp, and 200mph.)
    ** - the timing pulley center is counter bored so the mating surface between cam and pulley is more than the dowel pin and the flat surface, the pulley actually cups the end of the cam. They aren't cheap........ $175 EACH, for the centers and $150 to modify each pulley

Here is their home link.... http://www.loynings.com/

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

concerning??????
    The dry film lubricant on the piston skirts. I can get it pretty cheap for around $40 a tub, but an old racer mentor of mine says its probably not worth it. I was thinking about coating my bearings, piston skirts and camshaft with it. But still haven't seen any real world proof of its effect.

Only literature, no dyno sheets or temperature readings, or tear down after X amount of miles using the stuff, nothing.
    SC14 7AGZE build: http://beasted86.webs.com/

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

What interference angle are you running on the valves?

I know alot of rebuilders run a valve to seat angle of 45 degrees on the valve with 46 degree on the seat, but I've been doing some reading that says there are pure race engines that run different angles ranging as far as 60 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo4agte
    What interference angle are you running on the valves?

I know alot of rebuilders run a valve to seat angle of 45 degrees on the valve with 46 degree on the seat, but I've been doing some reading that says there are pure race engines that run different angles ranging as far as 60 degrees.
    When I started this, I was planning on using the TRD specs.... Arnie(Arnie Loyning) smiled at me and told me to trust him..... he's been building successful engines for over 30 years.

Arnie Loyning... and my engine, in pieces, on a shop cart

If you have ever scrolled through a seat cutter catologue there are hundreds if not thousands of cutters available. Varying from 1 angle to 7 angle one peice seat cutters with up to a half a degree of difference per angle. There is alot to choose from, with seats available developed by numerous top engine builders. Its just a matter of choosing a whole bunch of them, testing them on flow bench, wet flow testing them, then finally on the dyno to see which valve seat angles are optimum for that port, valve size, bore size and basic engine design.

I cannot comment on speciall valve angles for 4 valve engines other then 45 degrees. However on 2 valve engines, 50-55 degree seats was and i think still is the performance trend. Used in Nascar and possibly prostock applications. Prostock perhaps more because of the engines life expectancy.

They find 45 degree's to be best for longevity generally. A 50 degree or more seat is only really ever used in outright performance applications.

Its good having 30 years of engine rebuilding experience on your side. However to often these old skewl dudes are stuck in there ways and are not up to date with the most recent performance trends because they are practicing what they were taught 30 years ago. Im not saying this is the case, but just be weary that just because they have 30 years experience, doesnt mean they are doing the most up to date or best known modifications to your engine.

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

Thanks... answered my question. Wanted to add + rep, but says I have to spread it around.

Warning taken....

That old skewl guy... still races his creations too.... 2 weeks back in a local event he won going away in a Lotus Elan...

The above is from the TRD 4AGE build info that is in the TRD "Bible". I had originally shown Loynings that photo... he asked me to trust him... that they had worked out what flowed well. Arnie told me it was an improvement over the TRD specs....

Once the engine is assembled, all the timing is set accurately... and the new management is running well, I'll post up the dyno runs.

Once the engine is assembled, all the timing is set accurately... and the new management is running well, I'll post up the dyno runs.
    a basic spec sheet of the system I'll be running....

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

I guess your deviating from your original plans... cause I know for sure smog laws requires the stock computer in place. Or is Oregon emissions different from California smog?

I know we have covered this.
    It just came to mind that most big budget top engine shops dont even use a one peice cutter anymore.
    They have cnc machines that do the works. I cant remember the exact figures as i have lost the promotional CD from newen but they can fit any amount of angles in a spaces of 1mm. You can dial in watever you want and do not even need a special fixed one peice cutter anymore. There are a few Australian engine shops that have CNC porting machines but only one that i know of has the capability to do CNC profiled valve seats like this. When i was making cylinder heads at my last place of work we had some CNC porting and valve seats done by them and they could dial in whatever valve seat we wanted. It was kinda kewl to say the least.

Heres a peak at something similar http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRyn-yAvvo

P.S. Im glad you have chosen to trust Arnie with your valve seats. That TRD spec looks like nothing more then a stock blueprint. Its nothing special at all.

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

Man that CNC machine looks cool... I wonder if they could do a 7 angle valve cut...

As you said above for the most part the TRD drawing shows the standard 30-45-60 cutting of the seat... but one thing I found odd was they called for 15 degrees on the exhaust side. I know the head I bought was just the standard 3 angle 30-45-60, and Im not going to put more money trying to find out whats optimum.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    There are a few Australian engine shops that have CNC porting machines but only one that i know of has the capability to do CNC profiled valve seats like this.
    Who are they? I'm starting to build a head for my GZE.