Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested re : Diesel Vs Petrol engine

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Default Opinions requested re : Diesel Vs Petrol engine

So I've now come across a second Hilux I'm looking to purchase, this one requiring some work. Hopefully will be able to purchase both in the next couple weeks, a 2.4L petrol dual cab 4x4, and a non running diesel ssr-x surf edition. The 2.4 will be my daily runner, and the surf will be a future off-roader/potential serious project car.

To the crux of my problem. The turbo diesel will need a rebuild, and a few parts for the engine and driveline. No great hurry to get it back on the road, so do I rebuild the diesel, or do I look at an engine swap, not unlike millsi's ?

There is no guarentee that it will become an off-roader, may just end up a holiday vehicle /light 4wd for beach runs and the like.

Just want people to chime in with the relative benefits/downsides of taking either road. I'll be doing the work myself for the most part, 1st year mechanic's apprentice (between employers though, long story).

Thanks everyone.

Junior Member Grease Monkey 3BarSuperstar's Avatar

Default Re: Opinions requested re : Diesel Vs Petrol engine

It depends what you want to do with the car. The easiest way would be to rebuild the diesel motor that's in it and stuff it back in there. If your looking to do a motor swap and go to a petrol motor your going to have to put fuel lines in, pumps and maybe a tank for starters. Then theres the wiring and dicking around with other stuff.

The diesel will be cheaper to run on fuel and you don't have to worry about water getting into plug leads, dizzy caps, etc if you do go out in the bush. You'll just have to put up with it being slower than the petrol motered car.

What about a turboed diesel ? I've heard they are a little bit quicker around town, almost as good as a petrol model ? What Toyota diesels are considered good performers ?

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

The Surf SSR-X is turbo diesel and proveds decent performance, if not quite up the Petrol models. The TD has better performance when towing and arond-town economy is better too. The 3.0 Diesel with top-mount intercooler as fitted Prados and later Surfs is a much better performer. 96kw and 343Nm of torque if my memory is correct. The import thing here is the torque figure - better than most V8's.
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

id personally go down the turbo diesel route. it makes a better 4x4 then petrol. I personally own petrol only becasue i couldnt afford a TD and a standard diesel is too slow for my liking.

that said there are plenty of times when towing or off roading i would love the low down super torque of the diesel.

a 2.4L im guessing that would be an old 2LT engine ? i havent driven a 2LT but the later model 1KZTE is a great enigne having driven them in a number of different hilux's im thoroughly impressed.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

i've got a 3LE-powered king-cab 2WD ute - around town the diesel uses a fair amount of fuel and it's got to the point where i'm going to trade down to a smaller petrol vehicle for a daily+parts hack.

If you want a daily driver around town (e.g. not much highway duty), then I'd stick with petrol EFI.

diesel turbo would be ideal for off-road use and towing - just make sure your cooling system is up to it (offroad work means little forard speed but lots of heat production) and you have tyres to suit the different uses (standard rims with road tyres for towing, wider steel rims with softer rubber for offroad).
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

the 2lte (2.4 turbo diesel) is not reallyworth rebuilding
    try and get a 1kzte (3ltr TD) they are much much better
    the 2lte is very prone to cracked heads, and its gutless as hell.
    if you do rebuild it (a rebuilt one with GENUINE parts will be ok) ditch the turbo and go for SC12/14 much much better. with the turbo, just as it comes on boost and goes, you run out of revs....

DO NOT be tempted to use an aftermarket head on the 2.4..... they are crap.
    the biggest issue with them is the stock cooling system is very very marginal.
    I DONT WORK FOR TOYOTA ANYMORE
    please, no more PMs!

chuckster: when you say your 3LE ute chews the fuel how mnay l/100km are you using just out of curiosity and is it loaded up ?

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Yeah, I find that comment regarding high consumption around town strange too.
    My old 3L ( 2.8 NA mechanical diesel ) only uses 10L / 100 around town.
    280,000k's, and has never had the pump done.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

ute is empty apart from me, not sure about exact fuel use but with A/c on i put 25-30 litres in (depending on price) and get 250-300km out of that. It's only doing suburban driving (stop start with sections of 60-80 and the odd freeway blast).

I'm also fretting over the price of diesel (min of $1.40/L) so factor that into the desire to swap downwards.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

so about 10l/100km. not toobad to give you an idea my rzn169 does about 13-14L/100km around town. the petrols are generally always thristier. the diesel even though the fuel costs slightly more are usually cheaper to run.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

go the turbo diesel, but surfs suck off road. no offence.
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

L engines = an insult to diesel, and of a similiar standard to all of the really bad Japanese diesel engines. Stay well away.

1KZ engine = quite an improvement, almost driveable, and able to be fiddled with for a bit more grunt. Still not considered the most reliable or strongest engine around.

Petrol engines (22R, Y, etc.) = Petrol engines that drive like non turbo diesels, with all the rattles but none of the advantages of a diesel.

Mad****** Grease Monkey FASTFOO's Avatar

With the cost of fixing a 2l-t you could allmost fit a 1UZ.
    Twice the power allmost the same fuel use and soooooooo much more reliable.
    And after building a few hiluxs and surfs with them they are about as fun as a hilux gets.
    Just my 2c

MATT.

I really appreciate the discussion building in this thread, plenty of food for thought. Thanks all.