Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilux Brake upgrade, BA rotors,billet hubs,R32 calipers (by 289hilux)

V8 motavation. Grease Monkey 289hilux's Avatar

Default Hilux Brake upgrade, BA rotors,billet hubs,R32 calipers (by 289hilux)

I am looking for a set of hubs for a RN85. I am doing the brake upgrade (BA rotors R33 calipers) and want to try a few ideas. Can you help with a set or where I can get some new ones.

OK I finally found what I am looking for. Billet wheel hubs for a RN85.
    These should make the BA rotor upgrade a bit easier. Caus they have the right diamiter on the outer to take the rotor whith out the need for the 3mm spacer ring. Also I wont need the alloy wheel spacer as the studs are 20mm longer than the Hilux studs.

So the only mod should be the spacer for the caliper.
    The only down side is the cost, as a pair of hubs coplete with bearings and seals is $295.00.

So far its cost.
    Slotted rotor $123.00 pair new
    Billet Hubs $295.00 pair new
    Nissan Calipers $240.00 pair used but reco`d
    Spacer bar & bolts $20.00 pair new
    Brake fluid $18.00 bottle
    Total $696.00
    Fill fit 15" rims...

The best deal I could find was $1250.00 for a kit but you need 17" rims. A full house kit will go up to $2400.00.
    So for every thing new except calipers, I think if the total cost goes out to $750.00 its still better than $1250.00

What do you recon...

Will post some pics when I have finished the job.
    Last edited by 289hilux; 17-01-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: change title.
    Injected 5.0L FORD power in HILUX is the only way forward!
    See my ride here: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...246#post601246

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: Hilux wheel hubs.(need some)

try the parts wanted section as thats what its there for.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    try the parts wanted section as thats what its there for.

cheers
    linden
    I am looking for any info where a new set can be had. I am not looking for second hand stuff...
    Have searched www all day. I know there are billet ones out there some where. Some companies only sell with kits.. Any help would be nice...

billet hubs to do what exactly? maybe if you try giving a better description of what your trying to do / what you are in need of then maybe other ppl will be able will be able to help, but saying [ Hilux wheel hubs.(need some) ] doesn't really mean a hell of alot.

please dont think im being rude as i try to be as helpfull as possible (check my previous posts if you'd like) but its hard to help if nobody knows what your trying to do.

kinda like 1 of my 3 daughters pointing in the kitchen but not telling me what they want,how do i know what they want?

cheers
    linden
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

billet hubs to do what exactly? maybe if you try giving a better description of what your trying to do / what you are in need of then maybe other ppl will be able will be able to help, but saying [ Hilux wheel hubs.(need some) ] doesn't really mean a hell of alot.

please dont think im being rude as i try to be as helpfull as possible (check my previous posts if you'd like) but its hard to help if nobody knows what your trying to do.

kinda like 1 of my 3 daughters pointing in the kitchen but not telling me what they want,how do i know what they want?

cheers
    linden
    Hi Linden

As I stated in my post I am doing the BA rotor & R32 caliper conversion. I want to try a few ideas so I wanted a set of hubs.
    I was particuarly looking for billet hubs to make it easier.

I am trying to just tidy up the job. For one I personaly dont like the alloy wheel spacers plus they increase the track by 2 1/2 " including rotors. After reading peters post on the install I liked alot about it.
    Longer studs will solve that issue. So I discovered that the BA studs will go into the hilux hub if you redrill the knurled hole by .7mm and press in the 30mm longer studs. This then gave me the idea of using the billet steel hubs as they have the longer studs and you then wont need the 3mm spacer ring as the centre is the correct size.

I hope this clears up my needs. (thanks for the advice)

I thought the idea of these forums was to help each other as you said. But last time I made the title to long I got baged out and neg rep from two members. So I tried to keep it short and sweet.

Any way once I have done this brake upgrade I will post the things I changed. Some else might try what I have done or have a way to improve on it again.

Thanks

Richard...
    Last edited by 289hilux; 22-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.

i see, that makes life easier

i have the r33 calipers on my lux/surf and i used the std r33 rotor which has a lower hat hieght than the ba rotors, therefore my calipers sit further out past the hub and i dont have any spacers on there at all.

if you've got a decent set of jap rims they should have all the clearance you need,if you go for the Tempe Tyres specials then yeah i think spacers will be needed.

then your only incresing track by 16mm (which can be made up with the correct offset rim of course) .

i havn't seen any billet steel hubs around for luxs (even in kit form) but probly a minitruck forum or similar may be able to sort you out (or try tuck.com.au and see what they have)

i used a spacer ring on mine as it was the easiest option but i suppose it all depends on what you want to achieve,

thinking about it why would an aftermarket hub have a different centreing/wheel locater size? it should be the std size to keep the wheel centred on the hub.

let me know what you find as i could be interested.

also in thinking about it more if you got a custom hub then you could set the hub face back by 8mm and end up with orig hub face width by the time the disc goes on and would also negate the need for the caliper spacer.

if someone neg reps you its normally only for 1. being a knobend 2. giving misleading/incorrect info or 3 they were having a bad day and didnt take too well to what you wrote but im unsure of which post/thread you were refering to.

if i can be of anymore help let me know.

oh, have you tried fitting the brakes behind one of your rims to check clearance as you may not need spacers on there.

cheers
    linden

i see, that makes life easier

i have the r33 calipers on my lux/surf and i used the std r33 rotor which has a lower hat hieght than the ba rotors, therefore my calipers sit further out past the hub and i dont have any spacers on there at all.

if you've got a decent set of jap rims they should have all the clearance you need,if you go for the Tempe Tyres specials then yeah i think spacers will be needed.

then your only incresing track by 16mm (which can be made up with the correct offset rim of course) .

i havn't seen any billet steel hubs around for luxs (even in kit form) but probly a minitruck forum or similar may be able to sort you out (or try tuck.com.au and see what they have)

i used a spacer ring on mine as it was the easiest option but i suppose it all depends on what you want to achieve,

thinking about it why would an aftermarket hub have a different centreing/wheel locater size? it should be the std size to keep the wheel centred on the hub.

let me know what you find as i could be interested.

also in thinking about it more if you got a custom hub then you could set the hub face back by 8mm and end up with orig hub face width by the time the disc goes on and would also negate the need for the caliper spacer.

if someone neg reps you its normally only for 1. being a knobend 2. giving misleading/incorrect info or 3 they were having a bad day and didnt take too well to what you wrote but im unsure of which post/thread you were refering to.

if i can be of anymore help let me know.

oh, have you tried fitting the brakes behind one of your rims to check clearance as you may not need spacers on there.

cheers
    linden
    So this where I am at.
    Parts sorced so far.
    BA Rotor $125.00 a pair. http://stores.ebay.com.au/MR-SPARES

Billet wheel hub. The come complete with bearings and seal. $295.00 a pair.http://stores.ebay.com.au/MR-SPARES

they come with either 1/2" or 1.25mm studs. you choose!

71.71mm O/D to locate rotor.

71.71mm I/D to suit wheel hub.

Wheel studs. 37.75mm long the rotor only takes 10mm of this. plenty left for thick rims.

Rotor fitted to wheel hub. Looks good hey.

Side view

So there it is BA rotors for Hilux. No 3mm spacer. No alloy wheel spacer. When I fit these up I post some more pics. Any questions welcome...
    Last edited by 289hilux; 13-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default Re: Hilux billet wheel hubs for BA rotors .(found some)

Where did you buy the hubs ?
    Do they use standard hilux bearings?
    Is this the right offset so you dont need caliper spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by 2jzhilux
    They come with bearings and seals.I got them from Tony at [email protected]

They cost $295 the lot. Not 100% sure on the spacer yet.
    I also got the rotors from him at $125.00 a pair. Even with frieght it was still way cheaper than any others could supply here in Tassie.

As soon as my calipers show and I fit them up I will reply to this post.
    With an update. It would be nice if I dont need the spacer.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

When you open the bearings, would you mind putting up the ID and OD please? This is potentially another option for converting 40 series Crowns to disc brakes.

Thumbs up Re: Hilux billet wheel hubs for BA rotors .(found some)

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    When you open the bearings, would you mind putting up the ID and OD please? This is potentially another option for converting 40 series Crowns to disc brakes.
    Here are the measurements for the bearings/seal for the billet wheel hubs.

70mm for seal.

51.94mm for ID.

35mm for back bearing ID

21.5mm for front bearing ID

61.5mm for rear bearing shell OD

50mm for front bearing shell OD.

Hope this helps. But I am sure if you talk to Tony at UPC he could turn up what ever you need.
    Cheers. Richard...

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    Will they fit the car in mind. I cant wait to fit it all up.
    Just need to find another set of R33 calipers as the others I was getting have been lost in the post. BIG learner for they guy who sent them to me. Use registered post!

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

40 series Crowns are bizarre - the rear seal and arrangement behind the hub is unique. I swap out the whole drum brake stub axle and fit Hiace RH41 stubs, lower ball joint and disc brakes. This hub will allow me to run a range of larger Ford rotors.

Thanks very much for putting this up.

Default Hilux brake upgrade BA rotors,Billet hubs,R32 calipers.(job finished)

Quote Originally Posted by 289hilux
    Will they fit the car in mind. I cant wait to fit it all up.
    Just need to find another set of R33 calipers as the others I was getting have been lost in the post. BIG learner for they guy who sent them to me. Use registered post!
    Here it is finally finished. Firstly I want to thank the person who first came up with this brake upgrade. I imagine there was a lot of messing around and trail fitting to get it to work.

So what I have done is just icing on the cake. I have managed to get the same result but i have eliminated any need for spacers, longer bolts, brackets, and the 3mm ring.

See below the updated pics of the install. I kid you not once you have all the bits the hole job can be done in a couple of hours with no help needed. If you use a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes.

I chose the new ceramic strip pads by Bendix. Supposedly they don't make dust!

With the rotor on the hub it is only slightly higher. This make a big difference to the outcome.

Billet wheel hub fitted.

Only need to bend backing plate slightly to clear rotor.

No need for the spacer bar or longer bolts. Nissan caliper fits just as intended.

All fitted up. Yes I made sure the bleeder is on the top. Not shown is the new brake lines.

ALL DONE. ready to fit wheels. The Bendix pads don`t need to be bed in as required by most pads. The part no is DB1170 GCT.

That's it job done. This is my daily driver so I didn`t go over board cleaning and painting things.

Any questions please ask. Only to glad to help out!

Thanks 289hilux...
    Last edited by 289hilux; 17-01-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jzhilux
    Check out the completed job. NO need for caliper spacers.