Thread: sw20 non turbo not starting (fuel pump, filter ???)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default sw20 non turbo not starting (fuel pump, filter ???)

guys ive just bought the an sw20 mr2 non turbo in non running condition

the car was starting before but had stale fuel so the previous owner took the stale fuel out and put in new fuel since then it doesn't run just keeps turning over
    the car doesn't make the hissing sound the fuel pump makes just before starting the car so im assuming the pump is buggered

ive checked spark plugs they seem ok, put in some more fuel, ive also tried to prime the fuel pump by bridging connectors in the diagnostic port but nothing happened

im trying to locate where the fuel filter is also anyone who knows please do let em know
    pics will be good as im literaly looking for a needle in a haystack

any help or suggestion will be good

cheers

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

Default Re: sw20 non turbo not starting (fuel pump, filter ???)

I don't suppose you've raised this issue on the MR2 dedicated thread on here? or even searched the MR2OC board?

from what you're saying, my guess is the fuel pump is shagged. I don't know where the fuel pump is located in an MR2, but if it's not in the engine bay somewhere then it's in the fuel tank. once you've resolved this, since it's had stale fuel in there before it's probably worthwhile getting the injectors serviced as well. did the previous owner outline a history of what's been done to the car or anything?

good luck with getting it sorted out.
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Put new plugs in if it had stale fuel in it and you tried to start it, stale fuel will kill plugs in seconds, it could also be as simple as the fuel pump relay plug is not clipped on or the relay is broken.

pull the return fuel line off the rail or somewhere where it can easily be put back on and that will tell you if the pump is busted, or pull out a plug afrer youve been cranking it for a bit and if its wet, then the fuel pumps fine.

Theres lots of little ways of testing things without using diagnostics or buying hundreds of dollars worth of unneeded parts.
    Last edited by BeRad; 22-07-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

yes i have raised the issue on mr2 club nothing much out of it so far but iil wait and see maybe no one has read it properly

fuel pump is in the tank i kno that much

"Put new plugs in if it had stale fuel in it and you tried to start it, stale fuel will kill plugs in seconds"

i didnt know stale fuel will kill the plugs damn
    the plugs looked dry and had carbon on it which is what led me to believe theres no fuel getting in there
    ive been cranking for a while checked one plug its dry as can be no sign of any fuel in there at all which is why im leaning towards the fuel pump or fuel filter but i cant locate the filter to see if its clogged

cheers

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

my guess is if it's had stale fuel in it, maybe it might be worth the effort of getting the fuel pump out of the tank and checking the little filter thingy on the end of it? could be clogged from that end. did the previous owner have a good service history log? typically the fuel filter (wherever it's located) needs to be changed every 80k km's, how many k's has this one done? if you do find it it's probably worthwhile getting it replaced. check over injectors as well to be sure that none of them are clogged too.
    Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Stale fuel wont usualy clog the filter as its still liquid, it just loses octane or whatever and it wont fire and it fouls the plugs which wont let them spark, so no engine running action . From what my experiences are with fouled fuel it turns a brown / orange color and doesnt smell like fuel should.

For the sake of 12 dollars for a new set its not worth stuffing around, pull a plug out of the head and plug it onto a lead, earth it out on the cam cover and crank the engine if it sparks, their probably ok if not, there fouled.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

ok try that soon

i pulled one out and looked at it it was black in colour which made me think it was in ok condition

andrew car has done around 130ks jap spec so no idea really how much its done
    previous owner didnt have it for much long as he was selling for a friend who went overseas dont know anythign about the other owner
    and yeah the filter at the end of the pump could be clogged

either way
    as i mentioned before the car was startign and running pretty rough with the stale fuel in it
    wasnt driven around much except for displaying it for sale on the owners front lawn
    then the fuel got drained and new fuel put in since then its never started just keeps cranking