Thread: 4AGZE into AE102 Corolla

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 4AGZE into AE102 Corolla

Ok, I think I'll finally take most people's advice and forget trying to do anything to my poor weak 7AFE (as much as i'd like to still keep the 1.8L of displacement) and get a 4AGZE.

Now what do i need to know? Is there any guides on putting a GZE into a 102 rolla? I have seen guides for AE92/3 but not 101/2s.

I was reading the 4AGZE comparison thread. It appears the AE93 MAP Z is possibly a better motor than the AE101 MAP Z, having stonger rods, but would the AE93 be legal to put in mine, and also would it be easier to put an AE101 motor into the same chaisis (AE102)?

Do I need a halfcut if i get a 101? or could i get away with just a motor and ECU?

Can i keep standard gearbox, or would the gear ratios not match the GZE? (Obviously I'll need a new clutch soon after

Also where in Aussie are the best places to get GZEs? (especially AE101s)?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE into AE102 Corolla

Just throwing the idea out there...

If you got everything from an AFM GZE except the actual block and head (though the head is an option.) I dont see any reason you couldnt achieve a pretty decent 7AFZE (or 7AGZE if you get the head.)

The reason I specify AFM is because it's the most tolerant of mods like stroking the engine. All it does is report to the ECU that X air is going in and the ECU adds X fuel.
    That's fairly simplistic, but more or less what happens.

If you were to get an SC14 with the setup, I'd expect a fairly decent engine to result.
    One thing you would have to do though is keep the revs fairly low. I wouldnt want to go over say 6500 very often. If you treat it decent I dont see any reason it couldnt be reliable.
    You might be worried about the pistons holding up, but realistically, unless it's detonating heaps or running lean - both of which the stock gze ECU would prevent, it should be fine.

Thinking about it, creating a 7agze would be easier than adapting it to the F head since the inlet will bolt up no probs.

I've heard the rods are not hugely strong though, so I wouldnt go much over stock boost.
    I'd expect about 280nm and ~95kw at the wheels.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

It all depends I suppose if you're wanting to pioneer (so to speak) a 7agze as myne suggests (+1 for you by the way ), without the common knowlegde of boost limits and mechanic limits that are commonly available for the 4agze.

Is there any way of getting forged ceramic pistons similar to the gze ones from toyota within the same price range? Were they even made? Without these and sufficiently strong rods then I think you're fairly limited in rpm without compromising reliablilty.

Got Cash?

yeah, i have already considered the turbo 7afe or the 7afze, but neither seem like a good option as there the standard rods and pistons are weak, you can't get off-the-shelf stronger rods or pistons for it. (You can use 4age pistons but you have to covert the weak rods to free-floating pins)

So to do a 7AF(or G)ZE or 7AF(or G again)TE requires custom rods at least, and you are looking at about a minimum of $1000 for custom rods that i could find.

I think i'd probably prefer to get a motor that is already strong factory spec'd, and then play with more boost, SC14, turbo options then. I just think its a better option like most people suggest.

Also my 7AFE has done 220,000ks so it would need a rebuild i guess before i go doing any FI work to it.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

AE9X motor will not be registerable in your car. must be same or newer..

GZE gearbox is stronger no?

halfcut would be ideal, ie AE102 halfcut... then you literally just bolt stuff across... too easy
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

ok, so an AE101 looks like the go.

yeah but what extra would I need other than the motor, i recon i'd end up with a lot of extra parts i don't need if i get a halfcut?

Where can i find AE101 4AGZEs motors, and halfcuts in Aus?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by birdie
    ok, so an AE101 looks like the go.

yeah but what extra would I need other than the motor, i recon i'd end up with a lot of extra parts i don't need if i get a halfcut?

Where can i find AE101 4AGZEs motors, and halfcuts in Aus?
    Spares can't hurt mate, but theres always someone who will buy the leftovers. Post them on here.

There's heaps of places to buy your halfcut, especially over in the eastern states. Just flickin' thru the lastest Drift Battle magazine,

SSS Auto in NSW - GZE from $1400
    Rolin Imports in QLD - GZE 1/2cut from $2200

Expect to pay more than this, and don't buy the first motor you see. Make sure to get a compression and leak down test done. I'm sure there was an article on this in a magazine I have, I'll have a quick look for you.

In short, do your homework and shop around. Don't take quoted mileage as gospel.